Jehovah`s Witness/Tips

Question
Hi Dw

I'm fairly new to the truth but I like to discuss the scriptures. I've been going on a return visit to discuss points but he just seems to be stuck on what he thinks. I use some arguments, but he just counters with it doesn't mean that, it means this, even though it could mean both. Do you have any tips that could help me?

Answer
Hello mate

Thanks for writing

You know a lot of the time speaking to these people is a waste of time they just want to argue and you're time could be better spent elsewhere, however there can be some benefit in talking to these ones such as the fact you get to discuss the scriptures and make clear in your own mind how we know it's the truth. Just be careful and make sure you strike a balance in this regard is my advice to you.

You know sometimes people just wont listen and they'll never get it , not a lot we can do about that I'm afraid.

From what you tell me at least he doesn't say "it does't mean that" and offer no alternative explanation so that's a good starting point.

So of course you can reason things out with him. Let me give you two examples. One is what we've been discussing on here recently John 2:19,21.

19 "In answer Jesus said to them: “Break down this temple, and in three days I will raise it up" 21 "But he was talking about the temple of his body"

Now seeing as the temple was a literal building ,but viewed as a place of spiritual activity or spiritual enlightenment,PURELY BASED ON THESE TWO VERSES(not the rest of the scriptures) it could mean raising a literal temple on the other hand it could also mean raising a spiritual temple.

Now of course the rest of the scriptures and logical argument tell us it means raising a spiritual temple.

Now you need to form your argument based on these alternative renderings. Now what you need to watch out for is that he is at least a little bit reasonable.

Now let me use Derrick Holland as an example,if you notice with Derrick Holland we've given him two maybe three reason's why it can't be a literal raising just based on these two verses.(not including what we've shown him from the rest of the scriptures)

On the other hand he can't give us ONE reason why it's not raising something spiritual. He just repeats the same old rhetoric. He's not even willing to turn around and say "Oh well those two verses could mean something spiritual"  That's how you spot if a person is unreasonable or not.If they're unreasonable you're wasting your time!!

Here's another example.

Rev 7:

9 "After these things I saw, and, look! a great crowd, which no man was able to number, out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, dressed in white robes; and there were palm branches in their hands"

Rev

19 "After these things I heard what was as a loud voice of a great crowd in heaven. They said: “Praise Jah, YOU people! The salvation and the glory and the power belong to our God"

Now people will say there you go "the great crowd are in heaven" pretty reasonable argument based on these two verses.

On the other hand what else do we see?

Rev 5:

11 "And I saw, and I heard a voice of many angels around the throne and the living creatures and the elders, and the number of them was myriads of myriads and thousands of thousands"

We see thousands and thousand of angels in heaven , which is also a great crowd.

So now the great crowd of Rev 19 has two possible arguments, doesn't it??

Now if it was me I would use one of these two examples on him and see if you can get him too reason it out. If not, it's a waste of your time.

Follow up if you need

Take Care  

Jehovah`s Witness

Bro DW