Jehovah`s Witness/1 Corinthians 7: 29-31

Hello Sister Pearl,
 Greetings to you and I hope all is well with you and your family.
The question I have for you is: How are we to understand Paul's advice recorded at 1 Corinthians 7: 29-31?
Thanking you in advance.

If you would like to read this reply with pop-up scriptures,
it is located at

Well Jim,
This time you've picked quite a meaning-filled cluster of verses...

1Cor.7: "29 What I mean, brothers, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they had none; 30 those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; 31 those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away."

"What I mean, brothers, is that the time is short"

Every anointed one faces a "time" that is "short" (Rom.13:11,12). How so?
Whether the end of all things looms imminent for the final remnant or not (1Pet.4:7);
all Chosen... from the time of Christ up until the last to be selected...
all have in common a short lifespan with which to prove faithful and complete the work assigned to them
(James4:14; Psalm39:5; 78:39; 144:4).
For the remnant, that human lifespan and opportunity will be cut short, by the end.

"From now on those who have wives should live as if they had none"

What does it mean for those who are married, to be as if they are not?
I see two applications...the physical and the spiritual.
The physical meaning of this is more obvious, and is explained within context.
See verses 32-34:
32"I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord’s affairs—how he can please the Lord. But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife".
To be "as if they had none", is to leave off being concerned primarily with one's wife and marriage,
in favor of making one's primary concern the work of the Lord. This is necessary for all anointed...male or no matter what literal era they may live.

The spiritual interpretation is in relation to the spiritual meaning of "wife" and "woman".
To learn these scriptural interpretations, you can read (
This verse and it's advice, is concerning, in over-simplified terms, organized religion.
It directs anointed to be absorbed in the Lord's concerns; and not in
earthy attachments...obligations to men, their doctrines, nor their approval.
To be mature in Christ, is to be directed only by Holy Spirit,
and not by one's covenant with men.

"those who mourn, as if they did not"

The scriptures indicate that any Chosen ones who are proving faithful,
are enduring tribulation and mourning while within Satan's world
(John17:14; 16:20,22,33; Acts14:22; 2Cor.6:4; Rev.3:21; 12:11).
Yet through this pain, they can give themselves over to it, indulge it,
and let themselves prove to be overcome by it (Matt.25:26,27,28,30)
OR... As verse30 directs...
be as if you are NOT mourning when it comes to doing the work assigned.
Psalm126:5 reads: "Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."
Yes, the Chosen must keep "sowing seed" regardless of their grief (Ec.11:6; James1:4),
according to the example of Christ (John4:34; Luke12:50).
Those who persevere, will eventually be comforted (Matt.5:4)

"those who are happy, as if they were not"

Basically, this refers to the dangers of a false sense of peace and security.
In fact, our reality, requires great sobriety and discernment...
1Tim.6:17; Luke12:19,20; 1Pet.1:13; 5:8; Prov.22:3
In the last days, men will grow secure and over-confident in their relationship with God,
resulting in their destruction
(Job8:14,15; Isa.28:14,15; 1Thess.5:3; Rev.11:10,13; Jer.50:36; 51:30).

Ec.1:18 sums up reality...and the meaning of 1Cor.7:30B

"those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep"
Despite the payment of our lives for truth, we do not own what we receive
(Rev.3:18; Matt.10:8; 1Cor.4:7; 9:18; Rev.20:4) but must give it away freely.
On the other hand...
If we are deceived into buying UNTRUTH (Matt.25:9,10; Rev.13:17,14,8; 2Thess.2:9)
we also should not feel secure in our possession
(Eze.7:12; Luke8:18; Luke12:19,20,39; James1:10; Heb.12:27; John10:10).

"those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them"

At John17:15 Jesus prayed:
"My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one."
This means that we still have to survive in the world, while remaining no part of it (John17:16)
If you would like to read more in-depth about this, there is the article

For those who unwittingly get entangled in using the world for religious power
(Matt.24:48-51; 13:22; Rev.17:15; 2Thess.2:3,4; John16:2; Rev.11:1,2; 13:8);
and who become "engrossed" in that power and position, will be blinded.
Their proud captivity to Satan's deceptions and sin, will blind them to the light
that might have liberated and rescued them.
(2Thess.2:9-12; Rev.13:8,10,9; 2Cor.4:4; Acts26:18; 2Cor.2:11; 11:3;
1John2:11; Rev.6:16; Hosea10:8; Isa.2:19; Luke23:30)

"For this world in its present form is passing away."

This of course, reminds us of 1John2:17 and 2Pet.3:10,11,13.
From the preceding verses and context of 1Cor.7, we learn that none of the
present interests and religious powers have any future.
We stand as individuals before God, and can not find shelter
in an organizational mountain (Rev.6:16,14; 16:20),
despite current doctrines to the contrary. The only mountain endorsed
by God, is the future Mt. Zion in heaven (Rev.14:1; 7:4; Psalm2:6; Heb.12:22)

We will be judged individually (Rom.14:12; 2Cor.5:10; Matt.16:27),
as to whether we:
obeyed Christ (John15:14; Matt.23:8,9,10; 28:20; Eph.5:23),
did God's will (Matt.12:50; 7:21; 1John2:17),
treated the "least" of his brothers with love (Matt.25:40; 10:42),
and received the true prophets
(Matt.7:20; Rev.11:3,4; Matt.10:40,20).

The "skirt of a Jew" contained tassels wrapped about with a "blue cord".
This symbolized divine truth (Num.15:39,40),
and kept the skirt's hem from unraveling. In the prophecy at Zech.8:23;
it was this symbolic blue cord of truth, donned by Jehovah's faithful chosen priests,
that the Nations would recognize and "grab hold of".
(Num.15:38; Isa.11:5; Zech.8:23; Rom.2:29; Gal.3:28,29; 1Pet.2:9)

Every other interest, effort, work, pretense,
so called knowledge, hierarchy, or identity,
will not provide salvation,
but will mean nothing.
All these verses you inquire about, contain a warning to those who,
in various ways,
put their trust in what they can see
(Psalm146:3; Jer.17:5; Isa.2:22; 2Cor.4:18; 1Cor.2:10,12,13,14)...
Almost all humanity have this misplaced trust (Rev.12:9,15,16).
But unfortunately, these scriptures about being deceived,
and about misplacing their trust,
refer today primarily, to "Jehovah's Witnesses".
It is God's own people, "the earth", who "swallow" the river of lies coming
from Satan's mouth through his "false prophet" and the "wild beast" under it's control.
These identities have taken over the "Holy Place" and are trampling the "Holy Ones".

Thank you for your question.
I hope this work has made a difference,
in transferring some of the dead, into the living.
All the best,

My website Main Homepage:
Directory of Articles:

Jehovah`s Witness

pearl doxsey

PLEASE NOTE THAT MY PROFILE HAS BEEN UPDATED. I have been teaching the Bible since 1976, as well as studying JW publications. I am very familiar with the teachings of the Watchtower. As regards anyone's ability to teach truth, it largely depends upon Holy Spirit. For, without it you have no wisdom or scriptural understanding. I will do my best to assist anyone who asks. I have noticed a couple of warnings about "apostates" within the list of "experts". The definition of "apostate", according to the scriptures, are those who deviate from the truth. Therefore, only the scriptures have the authority to identify such a person (John 17:17). Merely disagreeing with someone in authority, does not constitute true apostasy. Otherwise, Jesus himself would have been an apostate. Jesus' own words afford us ample protection from such wolves. He said, "By their fruits you will recognize those men." Matt.7:17-27. Therefore, by all means, exercise every caution! Your life depends upon you doing so! But Jesus did not give the picture men expect of faithful ones today. He did not point to power, authority, growing numbers, accomplishments, or influence as being the sign of his true anointed disciples (Mark10:42,43; Matt.7:22). He pointed to fine fruit. This would include a love of truth and a clinging to God's word in every teaching (1Peter2:2). This authenticity becomes clear, when teachings are closely examined. So too, are "apostates" revealed, as those who deviate from God's word, or fail to do their utmost, to derive every teaching, from it. (see

I have been a baptized JW for decades. I was enrolled in my Congregation as a regular pioneer, though I did not sign the pledge of allegiance to men on the back of the application. I have read the Bible through many times, had been in the Theocratic Ministry school for decades, and was anointed by Jehovah God, through Jesus Christ, 40 years ago in June. As Organizational doctrine progressively strayed from the scriptures, I made comments during meetings and to Witness friends, including elders. Although I justified all my concerns with scripture, this alone lead to me being disfellowshipped in April, 2012. I continue to consider myself one of Jehovah's true witnesses, because Jehovah himself defines who His witnesses are, at Isa.43:10-12. There He states that they are His "chosen" ones (1Pet.2:9), whom he has called to declare the fact that Jehovah is the only Savior (Isa.43:11)...not men, nor an organization (Psalm146:3). This I faithfully do, and I have been chosen by Him to do so. I accordingly write articles about how the scriptures themselves interpret prophecies which apply to our era. ( The directory of articles can be found in my profile, located there.

I belong to the group chosen and anointed by Jehovah God through Jesus Christ...invited to accept the full course of Christ. If I prove faithful, I hope to belong to the Heavenly Mt. Zion, the Holy City, New Jerusalem.

Publications ....also....

The Scribes and Pharisees took the lead in Jehovah's house of worship in the time of Christ. Jesus had the divine credentials to publicly criticize those men, and he certainly did so. Why? Was he a rebel, only seeking to promote disunity and gain a following for himself? No. Jesus realized how spiritually harmful such leaders are to those who blindly follow them. He was therefore obligated, as were his disciples, to champion scriptural truth; despite the backlash from those in power, and those loyal to those in power. Truth (not power, position, or favor with men), leads to everlasting life. John 17:3,17 The anointed are under obligation to accept the same assignment as Christ. They are divinely commanded, authorized, and qualified to do so.... not by men, but by the truth of the scriptures, and Jehovah's spirit. My education, has been by means of that spirit, as we read..... "And YOU have an anointing from the holy one; all of YOU have knowledge. And as for YOU, the anointing that YOU received from him remains in YOU, and YOU do not need anyone to be teaching YOU; but, as the anointing from him is teaching YOU about all things, and is true and is no lie, and just as it has taught YOU, remain in union with him." 1John2:20,27 Matt.13:55-57; John7:15,16; Acts4:13; John16:13