Jehovah`s Witness/birth pains or pangs of distress

Question
QUESTION: "Good day

Hope you are well, can you please advise me here: How is Matt 24:8 supposed to read? Labour pains or pangs of distress because the NWT renders the verse differently to other translations.

Thank you
Modise"

ANSWER: Hello mate

Thanks for writing

Biblical languages aren't really my strength if you want more information than this then Bro Grunbaum is the Man for the job.

However this is what I do know.

There are other renderings of this verse here's some more

KJV

"All these are the beginning of sorrows"

ASV

"But all these things are the beginning of travail"

God's word translation

"All of these are only the beginning pains [of the end]"

The original word literally means “pangs of birth" so I would say either "labour pains" or "pangs of distress" are fine.

However pangs of distress is the better rendering for understanding and reading the passage, it gives much better clarity to the passage .Plus they're not the beginning of "labour pains" are they??, they are actually the beginning of "pangs of distress"

If you want anything deeper than this as I said write to Bro Grunbaum.

Take Care

QUESTION: Thank you for getting back to me so quick, i will ask Bro Grunbaum.

I personally think "labour pains" is the correct one because it would fit in perfectly with Revelations 12 about the pregnant woman.

Regards
Modise

Answer
Yeah Ben's your Man really.

To be honest what you need to understand is that "birth pang's" are "pangs of distress" but they're also "labour pains" a big job in bible translating is giving clarity to a passage of scripture.

When we look at the last days here we see this

2 Tim 3 "But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here"

So this fit's more with "pangs of distress"

You can't really compare rev 12 for the reason it's symbolic and the birth of the kingdom ,it's the start of something joyful and symbolizes the hard work needed to produce it the labour pains where over in 1914.

Matt 24:8 isn't a symbolic verse it ties in with everything we know about the last days a distressing time.

I personally wouldn't use "labour pains" there it makes no sense to me to put that there. I understand why "pangs of distress" and even "sorrow" are used by other Bible translations perfectly.

Take Care

Jehovah`s Witness

Bro DW