Jehovah`s Witness/Christmas Celebrating,A Question for You

Question
Do you celebrate the holiday of Christmas? And if you do, what scriptural bases as a Born-Again do you have for doing it? Thank you sir.

Answer
Thanks for your question.  Each year, my family, relatives, and friends come together to celebrate Christ's birth.  We also annually celebrate the death and resurrection of Christ.  Without all of these things, our faith would be for nothing.  

The Messiah's birth was somewhat of a hot topic 2000+ years ago.  Jewish society as well as Eastern stargazers were keenly aware of the details surrounding His arrival.  This was evident by the arrival of the magi from the east and Herod's questioning of the chief priests and teachers of the law.  Matthew 2:1-2 says, "After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east and have come to worship him.” The chief priests and teachers of the law state in verse 6 the words of the prophecy of Christ, so many people throughout that part of the world were awaiting this momentous occasion.  Of course, once the magi arrived, they gave the gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh seen in verse 10.

On the actual day of Christ's birth, heaven rejoiced as angels announced His arrival.  Luke 2:11 says, "Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord."  It continues by saying a multitude of angels praised God for this occasion, and the shepherds to whom they appeared glorified and praised God for this special event also.

This December's Watchtower has an interesting set of articles on this very topic.  You may or may not be aware of them.  It begins by asking what the most important aspects of the Christmas spirit might be to us.
- Remembering Jesus Christ?
- Sharing in the joy of giving?
- Helping the needy?
- Spending time with family?
- Promoting peace?

It then presents reasons why these things are challenging for people during this time of year and suggests that these things should be done regularly and not isolated.  I completely agree with this comment.  However, my opinion is that families who truly do these things regularly throughout the year will not be challenged on these things during the holidays.  Those who have Jesus Christ in them should do these things naturally because they treasure that fellowship with the Father AND the Son. (1 John 1:3)  They do not do these things in order to gain God's favor.  They do these things because they have already gained God's favor.  Does that mean they all annually celebrate Christ's birth?  Of course not, nor would I condemn anyone's beliefs for or against it.  Our household chooses to celebrate the birth of Christ and praising our Father, just as the angels and shepherds and magi praised Him, for sending us an end to the Law and a pathway to salvation.

Jehovah`s Witness

Richard