Jehovah`s Witness/Christmas And Selfishness

Question
Hi Sister T,On Christmas,it seems by the majority Ive noticed that it seems to show when you think about it just looking at our family and friend around us,Christmas seems selfish because the GIVERS give to be repaid back in one way or another according to the Tradition of this Holiday.I noticed such type of GIVING is CONDEMED by CHRIST in the bible at Luke 14:12-14.          But I wonder??? Cannot this Christmas Selfishness shown by the people on this Worldly holiday be actualy JUSTIFIED on the grounds that it is ONE TIME of the year when the poor benifit? So HOW MANY POOR PEOPLE REALLY BENIFIT? Plus whoever thinks of the poor the rest of the 364 days left in the year?

Answer
Hello and thanks for writing,

Luke 14:12-14 "Next he proceeded to say also to the man that invited him: “When you spread a dinner or evening meal, do not call your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors. Perhaps sometime they might also invite you in return and it would become a repayment to you.13 But when you spread a feast, invite poor people, crippled, lame, blind;14 and you will be happy, because they have nothing with which to repay you. For you will be repaid in the resurrection of the righteous ones.”

Yes you are quite right, it's not just giving but it's an exchange of gifts, you give me something and I expect something in return.  A person is compelled or pressured to give gifts on this day, even if they can't afford it, many people go into deep debt in order to buy xmas gifts that are expected.  That takes the joy out of giving when it's compelled, as Jehovah said that we should give not grudgingly or under compulsion.

2 Cor. 9:7 "Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

Matt 11:28-30 "Come to me, all ​YOU​ who are toiling and loaded down, and I will refresh ​YOU. 29 Take my yoke upon ​YOU​ and learn from me, for I am mild‐tempered and lowly in heart, and ​YOU​ will find refreshment for ​YOUR​ souls. 30 For my yoke is kindly and my load is light.”

Greed, selfishness and unthankfulness play a role as many people do not even want or like what they get.  As is proved by most stores during xmas time have to set up whole areas as return centers to accommodate the demand of people returning their xmas gifts that they do not like or want.  

Someone gives you a gift and you take it back!!  I hear people talking and complaining about how someone got them this horrible gift and how dare they give them this cheap thing when they had gotten them something more expensive.  On how they will be so glad when the holiday is over because it's so stressful.  How they are still in debt from the last years xmas, and on and on.

That's why we are set free with having the truth, (John 8:32)

Some people may volunteer at a soup kitchen to give a big meal to the homeless or needy, or donate a few toys, but as you said what about the other 364 days, those people are still homeless and still needy and still hungry!

That's why the greatest gift one can give a person is the Truth, and freedom from false beliefs and a chance at everlasting life, because having accurate knowledge of Bible truths and applying them in your life leads to life without suffering.

That's why we go door to door to teach ones that God has set up a kingdom that will never be brought to ruin, (Dan. 2:44) in it righteousness will dwell, no resident will say they are sick, hungry or homeless. (Isa. 33:24; Ps. 67:6; Isa 65:21,22)

As Acts 20:35 says "I have exhibited to ​YOU​ in all things that by thus laboring ​YOU​ must assist those who are weak, and must bear in mind the words of the Lord Jesus, when he himself said, ‘There is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving.’”

And is why you see us at your doors, 365 days a year, not just 1 day or one month.  And is why you see the real Witnesses on this very board, giving of our time freely not expecting anything in return.  Not to mention the acts of giving that is done on a daily basis worldwide that is not mentioned as we glorify our God Jehovah and his King Jesus Christ.

Sister T

jw.org

https://www.jw.org/en/free-bible-study/  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T