Jehovah`s Witness/Cross

hai DW

How can you believe that Jesus died on a stake when Thomas said that Jesus was pierced with 2 Nails(John 20:25) in HIS HANDS, proving his hands were not joined through with 1 nail through them, but rather separately on a CROSS and not on a Stake?

The word used there is "Stauros" which does mean stake, but it is extensively used to refer to "Cross"? Its clear that he died on a Cross and NOT a stake because if it was a stake it would be ONE nail through his hands, NOT TWO? (REPOST)

Hello Dave

Thanks for writing

There's nothing in the Bible to say Jesus died on a cross. There are two words used, one is stauros which mean stake the other is xylon which means tree/ pole or stake.

Ezra 6:

11 And by me an order has been put through that, as for anybody that violates this decree, A timber(Xylon) will be pulled out of his house and he will be impaled upon it, and his house will be turned into a public privy on this account.

Notice here its just A timber singular that's a xylon , which is the same word both Peter and Paul used.

Acts 10:

39 "And we are witnesses of all the things he did both in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem; but they also did away with him by hanging him on a stake(xylon)

There's no suggestion anywhere in the Bible that either stauros or xylon means cross, once again it's an unbiblical doctrine that started with Roman emperor constantine.

With regard John 20:25

"Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails and stick my finger into the print of the nails"

The fact is we don't know how many nails where used it could be two it could be twenty two we just don't know. Thomas could have meant nails in both hands and feet here. His hands could have been nailed side to side. We just don't have enough information to say

But what we do know is that there's no evidence to suggest it was on a cross all the evidence points to the fact it was a stake

Follow up if you need

Take Care

Jehovah`s Witness

Bro DW

I have many years of experience serving Jehovah . I have known Jehovah a long time and I have known his organization . I have been privileged to see great progress not only in my own personal relationship with my God and Father but within his organization. I am an avid reader of the bible and have been gifted by my Father with the indescribable privilege of being allowed to understand his own word.

The truth is all about scripture and logic. The two go hand in hand . There is not one bible verse that cannot be understood within the realms of human reasoning. Not one!! Why would it?? The bible is God's message to his creation . His creation who he made to understand things in a specific way. God is not stupid or unwise as to leave as a message then allow us to guess what it means or who he is. 1 Tim 2:3This is fine and acceptable in the sight of our Savior, God, 4whose will is that all sorts of people should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth" Notice the expression "accurate knowledge".

The bible leaves signs of true christianity there are many. Jehovah's witnesses meet every single sign. One sign is the removal of false teachings that permeated the world soon after the apostles died. Jesus foretold this and he also foretold of the restoration of pure worship in the period known as the last days. The days we are currently living in. Jesus was a master of using illustrations he used an illustration to highlight this point Matt 13: "The Kingdom of the heavens may be likened to a man who sowed fine seed in his field. 25While men were sleeping, his enemy came and oversowed weeds in among the wheat and left. 26When the stalk sprouted and produced fruit, then the weeds also appeared. 27So the slaves of the master of the house came and said to him, ‘Master, did you not sow fine seed in your field? How, then, does it have weeds?’ 28He said to them, ‘An enemy, a man, did this.’ The slaves said to him, ‘Do you want us, then, to go out and collect them?’ 29He said, ‘No, for fear that while collecting the weeds, you uproot the wheat with them. 30Let both grow together until the harvest, and in the harvest season, I will tell the reapers: First collect the weeds and bind them in bundles to burn them up; then gather the wheat into my storehouse" Why did he speak in illustrations? Matt 13:10So the disciples came and said to him: “Why do you speak to them by the use of illustrations?” 11In reply he said: “To you it is granted to understand the sacred secrets of the Kingdom of the heavens, but to them it is not granted" The kingdom of the heavens is full of sacred secrets that Jesus reveals only to his followers. This privilege is open to all who are really willing to submit to God and his Christ in action not just in words. These are the ones God is looking for. Are you really one?? If so I encourage you to let Jehovah's witnesses show you what the Bible really teaches.

False religion is disgusting to God and to his true worshippers it is likened in the Bible to a harlot Rev 17:"I will show you the judgment upon the great harlot who sits on many waters, 2with whom the kings of the earth committed fornication, whereas those who inhabit the earth were made drunk with the wine of her fornication" Whereas the bride of Christ is likened to a virgin Rev 14: 4"These are the ones who did not defile themselves with women; in fact, they are virgins" These are both used as spiritual terms here and show the importance of pure and clean worship for God's people.