Jehovah`s Witness/Can Demons use influence over others to torment someone

Question
Hello.  I am not a baptized witness I am studying and taking in everything I can to learn more about the truth and our God Jehovah.  About a year and a half ago I decided that I had to leave my husband for not only my sake but my kids.  I found out about his drug abuse affairs and so on.  I looked at my parents siblings and my ex husbands parents and siblings....I didn't want my children growing up in that kind of a cycle and I just wanted to be a better person and have a clean healthy life.  After thinking about it I got divoriced took sole custody of my children and broke contact with all the people that we had been friends with.  Since then my kids and I have been much better off and happier.  Even though I feel like I have been under attack for lack of a better word since then.  I know bad things happen to people all the time and I have had horrible tragic things happen in my life in the past.  this feels different though.  It feels like someone is using every means possible to torment me and and tear me apart.  It has been one thing after another constantly since then.  Most of the things didn't happen to me but to others around me but effected me deeply.  Here is an example of some of them....on the way hiway there was a wreck in front of us we stopped to try and help but we weren't able to help that poor little girl she died on the scene........my mom and I took my kids and my sisters kids to a hotel sothey could all go swimming and play together then I was going to take most of them home with me to spend the night. My niece had told her two cousins about it and there dad just assumed that he could bring them and come to.  He had been drinking I went against my better judgement and did not make them leave I thought his girls would be better off with us than leaving with someone that was drunk.  I had no idea he carried a gun on him.  He had hidden it somewhere in the room when everyone went swimming (I'm assuming). While I was getting all the girls ready to go home my three yr old son found it and accidentally shot my six yr old nephew.  Without going into details he came as close to dying as someone can and not die.  The guilt and pain overwhelmed me. I sunk into the worst depression of my life nightmares it made the death of my son a few years ago fresh and I was in the worst shape of my life on the inside.  During this time of depression that I was tormenting myself all the other things that had been happening to me stopped.  Those were just ttwo of the major events there was a lot more minor in comparison.  When my daughters medical issues finally started coming to light and I found out she would have to have surgery on her skull I knew I had to get stronger for her I went to the dr told him I was depressed and all of the events that had gone on over the last few months and he was shocked and amazed that I had been able to cope as well as I had....he had no idea I had been through all these events and he wanted to know how I did it.  Without even thinking I said "GOD".  He asked me what faith I was...I said "I don't know but I'm going to find out".  My search led me to the truth a few weeks later...I started studying going to meetings.  I am so hungry for knowledge of jehovah and the truth I spend a lot of time going through the different publications on the societys website in the online library.  As I started taking this knowledge into my head my nightmares got worse and little things started happening that would cause me pain and start overwhelming me....I kept shaking it off though and the depression lifted I threw away the antidepressants and quit seeing the therapist.  You know that you have been learning in your head enters your heart....I'm sure you do.  Since then the nightmares and all the little things that had been so hard on me especially the constant nightmares stopped.  My exhusbands mean and hurtful tricks quit bothering me as they had before.  I have bad days and good but I'm not depressed anymore.  What concerns me is that now that I'm not suffering in guilt and sadness some bigger things have happened....I had a women I did not know and had met oncebriefly just decide she was my best friend and wanted to help save me.  She would not leave when I asked her when she did leave she stalked me she got her husband and tried to force me to move in with her.  I started to get scared because its just not normal for a stranger to do this.  After that my brother came to visit. My mom and got upset when I asked him not to talk like that in front of my kids and to not drink so heavily.  He said I acted like I was better than him and he attacked and beat me in front of my kids.  I was at my moms inbed recovering from the abdominal surgeries I had three days before when he started .  I got away and got outside he followed and repeatedly beat me in the head stopping briefly to shove my mom down while she was trying to stop him.  He would not stop until a neighbor made him and I made itto the car to wait on the police.  I had no idea my brother could or would do that to me.  That was a little over a week ago and a few hours ago I was going to the store to grab some medicine and a car I did not recognize pulled out behind me followed me and acted like they were going to hit me and was swerving I pulled off the hiway onto a dirt road thinking they would go on.  They followed me and continued for about 20 min or so until they went into the ditch.  I called one of the Sisters I have been studying with and she had told mebefore that I was dealing with obstacles and opposition because satan is trying to keep me from the Truth.  It wasn't until I hung up with her that I thought about the first words that she said after I told her about this...she told me I was really under attack.  That made me think of Satan and his Demons.  I have always thought that they influence people to do bad but don't have any real control over anyone or focus on any person.  I turned to my bible and looked it up in the online library on the societys website.  I now know that they can torment people and influence them if they have opened a door to them for example practicing spiritism.  I have never done that and have always had a fear of even reading about them in the Bible.  My question is...do you think that these events and everything are just because of the timmes we are in and even bad decision making on my or anyone elses part...and I'm just getting worried and making it something more than what it is.  Or is it possible that there is a demon influencing others and using them to torment me and keep me unhappy depressed and trying to keep me from Jehovah if so why would I'm not anymore important than anyone else seeking the Truth.  Is there a way I could have unknowingly opened a door to allow it and how can I put an end to it.  I already have a little meeting set up the brothers at are kingdom hall to talk to me and answer any questions I have and all that the day after tomorrow but I'm not sure if I am comfortable bringing it up and talking about it with anyone yet.  I'm so new to the Truth and just beginning to learn about Jehovah and studying the bible for the first time its easier  for me to ask a hard question like this kind of anonymously I guess.  Well thank you for reading this long story.  I really appreciate it.

Answer
Hello my dear soon to be sister!  Thank you for writing and may I first say, I am very sorry for all the turmoil that you have been dealing with throughout your life.  

Your questions condensed: Does Satan and his demons attack/influence people if they are not delving into spiritism and/or is it some bad decisions on my and/or others part.  The answer to both of those questions is yes. Let me explain:

I'll start with the latter, sometimes we do make bad decisions and then we have to face the consequences of those decisions.  It's called cause and effect, and in the Bible it's called reaping and sowing. (Gal. 6:7)

Then there are things that happen that are out of our control and we may have been at the wrong place at the wrong time, that's called unforeseen occurrences, and they befall us all, as Ecc. 9:11 brings out.

Also because we live in Satan's system, people will be like he is, because of his influence over them (1 Tim 3:1-5, Eph 2:2) He is ruling the world, (John 12:31; 14:30; 16:11). As he offered Jesus all the kingdoms of the earth if he did an act of worship to him.(Matt 4:8,9), Jesus opposed him!

We know that Satan gave other angels (angels are also called princes, because Jehovah was their King and they were his sons, but when they turned bad, they became demons) authority over the governments, this also helps us to see that Satan is influencing the world rulers of our day, we read regarding Daniel:

Daniel 10:13,20 "But the prince of the royal realm of Persia was standing in opposition to me for twenty‐one days, and, look! Mi′cha‧el, one of the foremost princes, came to help me; and I, for my part, remained there beside the kings of Persia. 20 So he went on to say: “Do you really know why I have come to you? And now I shall go back to fight with the prince of Persia. When I am going forth, look! also the prince of Greece is coming."

Look at what Satan did to Job, he took everything he had, he killed his children, all 10 of them at one time.  Job also lost servants and cattle.  Then to top it off Satan caused Job to have a disease that made him feel like he just wanted to die!  Job's own wife told him to curse God and die. (Job 2:9) But Job refused!  Job's so called friends came and started accusing Job of wrong doing or saying he had to be doing something wrong for this to happen to him.  At that time, Job had no idea that Satan was behind all of these tragic events that took place in his life.  He had always been faithful to Jehovah.  But we see what he went through, a direct attack from Satan.  And today, we too are being attacked by Satan, especially if you are trying to learn the truth, because that's the last thing the god of this system of things wants you to do.  And he will try to stop you, most definitely. (1 Pet. 5:8)  

Satan is watching and he see's our weaknesses and what gets to us and then he uses that against us, but we must keep opposing him so that he flees. (James 4:7) But that doesn't mean he won't come back at another convenient time. (Luke 4:13).

When these things happen, just remember that it's not caused by God, as he does not try us with evil, (James 1:13)sometimes Satan puts so much on us that we tire out and give up, and when that happens Satan wins.  He told Jehovah that he could turn any person against Jehovah, especially if their life was involved.  When we oppose him, we make Jehovah's heart rejoice (Prov. 27:11) because Satan is still taunting Jehovah by making this claim, and he is also taunting us.  Keep putting Jehovah first in your life, (Matt 6:33) keep seeking to learn more and more.  When Satan see's that his attempts aren't working to take you from Jehovah, he'll leave you alone for a little while, but just know he'll be back, and is why Jesus said his servants would be hated and persecuted (John 15:20; Matt 24:9) And why we have the scripture that says, 'he that endures to the end is the one that will be saved' (Matt 24:13).

In order to keep enduring, we need Jehovah's holy spirit, and we can only get that by doing the will of Jehovah, so you are on the right track, keep on praying to Jehovah to help you endure what you've been through already.  Remember 1 Cor. 15:33 about bad associations, which can include family members as well as ones who may not be spiritual minded within the congregation.(Also Prov. 13:20). I commend you for seeking out Jehovah and trying to better yourself and your children's lives. Jehovah will bless you for your efforts.

All of Jehovah's people are dealing with persecution from Satan, and he's going to use what he knows works. He is relentless, fierce, cruel, and angry.(Rev.12:12)  The scripture tells us we have a personal wrestling with wicked spirit forces. (Eph. 6:12).  And Paul urged Christians to stand firm and put on the complete suit of armor from God!

Eph 6:10-18 "Finally, go on acquiring power in [the] Lord and in the mightiness of his strength.11Put on the complete suit of armor from God that ​YOU​ may be able to stand firm against the machinations of the Devil;12because we have a wrestling, not against blood and flesh, but against the governments, against the authorities, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the wicked spirit forces in the heavenly places.13On this account take up the complete suit of armor from God, that ​YOU​ may be able to resist in the wicked day and, after ​YOU​ have done all things thoroughly, to stand firm.

14 Stand firm, therefore, with ​YOUR​ loins girded about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness,15 and with ​YOUR​ feet shod with the equipment of the good news of peace.16 Above all things, take up the large shield of faith, with which ​YOU​ will be able to quench all the wicked one’s burning missiles.17 Also, accept the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the spirit, that is, God’s word,18 while with every form of prayer and supplication ​YOU​ carry on prayer on every occasion in spirit. And to that end keep awake with all constancy and with supplication in behalf of all the holy ones,"

These are very important here:

Prayer , Jehovah wants us to come to him in prayer in Jesus' name, because Jesus made it possible for us to be able to approach Jehovah.  Pray all the time with your concerns, for help to endure, and also pray to him and praise him and thank him!

Ps. 55:22 Throw your burden upon Jehovah himself, And he himself will sustain you. Never will he allow the righteous one to totter.

James 5:16 "....A righteous man's supplication, when it is at work, has much force"

1 Pet 5:7 "while ​YOU​ throw all ​YOUR​ anxiety upon him, because he cares for ​YOU."

Phil 4:6,7 "Do not be anxious over anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving let ​YOUR​ petitions be made known to God;7and the peace of God that excels all thought will guard ​YOUR​ hearts and ​YOUR​ mental powers by means of Christ Jesus."

Meeting attendance , this is very important because it's where we learn about Jehovah and Jesus and where Jehovah's holy spirit is.  

Heb. 10:24,25 "And let us consider one another to incite to love and fine works,25not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another, and all the more so as ​YOU​ behold the day drawing near."

Jesus said at Matt. 18:20 "For where there are two or three gathered together in my name, there I am in their midst.”

Amos 8:11 “‘Look! There are days coming,’ is the utterance of the Sovereign Lord Jehovah, ‘and I will send a famine into the land, a famine, not for bread, and a thirst, not for water, but for hearing the words of Jehovah."

At the meetings is where we 'hear' the words of Jehovah, we need to hear them, we should read the Bible ourselves daily, but this scripture speaks about hearing it, so we'd need to be gathered at a place where we can hear it, which is the Kingdom Hall.

Bible study and meditation which is thinking on the things that we read and learn and then continue applying them in our lives.  Or as one Brother put it: "When you study, you see the picture, when you meditate you put yourself in the picture"

Ps. 1:2 "But his delight is in the law of Jehovah, And in his law he reads in an undertone day and night."

James 1:22 "However, become doers of the word, and not hearers only,..."

You seem to be on the right track, and I suggest if you do not feel comfortable telling the Brothers all that is/has gone on, just say, Satan is really attacking me and I want to stay on Jehovah's side, they can pray with you and for you.  

When times get rough is when we need to rely on Jehovah even more so, Satan will use guilt, depression, feelings of unworthiness, distractions, outright opposition, direct and indirect attacks from others, (Ps. 118:6,7)just any and everything to get us to leave Jehovah, never let that be an option.  

Satan has come after me so much that I don't even pray out loud at all anymore, I don't want Satan and his demons to hear anything that I'm asking Jehovah for, or that I may need help with.  He's watching that's for sure, but he's not going to hear what I say to Jehovah! Plus Jehovah is stronger than Satan is, much stronger and the more you put faith in him helping you to endure, the more you'll see his holy spirit at work in your life.   

Believe me my dear soon to be sister, you are not alone in your struggles and your plight,(1 Cor. 10:13, 1 Pet. 5:9)  and because of all the things I've been through and still go through, I know first hand that Jehovah gives power beyond what is normal (1 Pet. 4:14, Phil 4:13, Isa 40:29)and he gives peace and inner joy amidst the storm!  

Hope this helps, feel free to follow up or keep in touch!

Sister T  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T