Jehovah`s Witness/Disfellowshipped Father-Invite for wedding

Question
According to the Shunning Rules of JW's-is it true that a Disfellowshipped CANNOT be invited for his daughter's wedding & give away his Bride?

Pls give scriptural reasons for yr answer.

Thank you.

Answer
Hi Terrence,

That you for your question. There is no charge to use the Kingdom Hall for weddings. And the Elder asked to give the wedding talk is not paid for his services. So the requirement for everyone in the wedding party is that they be in good standing. Some elders will still give the talk if there are members of the wedding party who are not JW's but he would definitely no give the talk if someone in the wedding party is disfellowshipped. Nor will the couple be allowed to have there wedding at the kingdom hall.

But the issue is deeper that the wedding ceremony itself. Have you ever wondered why JW's disfellowship unrepentant wrong doers?  Disfellowshipping takes place only if a member of the congregation unrepentantly engages in gross sin. What is accomplished by disfellowshipping? It keeps Jehovah’s holy name clear of reproach and protects the fine reputation of his people. (1 Peter 1:14-16) Removing an unrepentant wrongdoer from the congregation upholds God’s standards and preserves the congregation’s spiritual cleanness. It may also bring the unrepentant one to his senses.

**Further explanation**:
The congregation in Corinth tolerated “such fornication as [was] not even among the nations, that a wife a certain man [had] of his father.” Paul urged the Corinthians to “hand such a man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, in order that the spirit may be saved.” (1 Corinthians 5:1-5)

6 What is accomplished by disfellowshipping? It keeps Jehovah’s holy name clear of reproach and protects the fine reputation of his people. (1 Peter 1:14-16) Removing an unrepentant wrongdoer from the congregation upholds God’s standards and preserves the congregation’s spiritual cleanness. It may also bring the unrepentant one to his senses.

Before a very long time had passed, Paul urged the Christians in Corinth to reinstate the wrongdoer. Why? It was so that they might not be “overreached by Satan,” said the apostle. The sinner had evidently repented and cleaned up his life. (2 Corinthians 2:8-11) If the Corinthians refused to reinstate the repentant man, Satan would overreach them in that they would be as hard and unforgiving as the Devil wanted them to be. Very likely, they soon did “forgive and comfort” the penitent man.—2 Corinthians 2:5-7.

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister Pam B