Jehovah`s Witness/DW

Did you read DW's reply?

I don't know how he can't see the word twisting going on.

Yeah, it's pretty mind-boggling.  People without their "cult glasses" on had no problem seeing the obvious as evidenced by messages by Sal, Derrick, and private writers.  However, DW did make a comment that resonated with me.  It is EXACTLY how the WT and most cult groups operate.

DW says, "This is the same with the trinity brochure. The quotes we used where RELEVANT to the subject. A lot of the people who wrote them contradicted their own argument and what they themselves where trying to say "

Wow! Let me paraphrase... "We, the Watchtower, will find a few words that agree with our belief system despite all the words around it.  Context does not explain what you said, it contradicts what you said."

This, of course, is the same way they treat scripture to back up their doctrinal beliefs.  Find a few verses that seem to say what we think, take away the context because it contradicts our beliefs, then tell people that we use context because people have to believe what we say anyway.

In DW's quote above, he also admitted that the original authors' arguments and what they were trying to say was pro-Trinity.  I guess the Watchtower, by its own definition, is not qualified to be a minister.

Watchtower's Qualified To Be A Minister p.199
"Be very careful to be accurate in all statements you make.  Use evidence honestly.  In quotations, do not twist the meaning of a writer or speaker or use only partial quotations to give a different thought than the person intended ."

So, of course, all those unfortunate pro-Trinity words that the authors stated were irrelevant to the Trinity brochure.  The authors' intent doesn't benefit the WT.

So, let's extract a small part of these quotes that actually aligns with the original intent of the author.  I want to reiterate that the Watchtower overlooked these statements located adjacent to the quotes they used.

"we must at once emphasize that the substance of the Christian Trinity is of course Biblical: Father, Son and Holy Ghost"

"[The Trinity] is, like many of the formulations of physical science, not contrary to reason, and may be apprehended (though it may not be comprehended) by the human mind."

"In many places of the OT however, expressions are used in which some of the Fathers of the Church saw references or foreshadowings of the Trinity"

"The beginning of the doctrine of the Trinity appears already in John (c.100 AD.)"

"it is just as clear on the opposite side that confession of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - and hence an elemental Trinitarianism - went back to the period of Christian origins"

"Although Scripture does not give us a formulated doctrine of the Trinity, it contains all the elements out of which theology has constructed the doctrine"

"They call Jesus the Son of God, Messiah, Lord, Savior, Word, Wisdom. They assign Him the divine functions of creation, salvation, judgment. Sometimes they call Him God explicitly."

"In other passages of the New Testament the predicate "God" is without a doubt applied to Christ"

So, to sum up...
1) DW acknowledges that the intent of the authors was pro-Trinity
2) DW acknowledges that the Watchtower hand-picked statements that, when isolated, appear anti-Trinity when the context surrounding it was pro-Trinity, thus giving a different thought than the person intended.
3) The Watchtower says that those qualified to be ministers do not quote by giving different thoughts than the person intended.

Let that rattle around in your mind for a little while.

P.S. - One of DW's writers speculated on my family's Christmas celebration.  I will clarify for any reader's confusion.  We are completely indifferent on December 25.  We frequently celebrate on other days.  This year, our family and much of our extended family have celebrated Christ's birth every day that we have been together with Scripture reading and discussions on the impact of Christ's birth, death, and resurrection.  There was no Christmas tree.  There was no yule log.  We share gifts EVERY time that we get together.  There was no discussion of Santa or his reindeer.  We honor Jesus Christ.  Yes, it is possible to do that and be no part of the world.

Jehovah`s Witness

I am not a Jehovah's Witness, however I can answer many questions concerning the ideas and doctrines on which they disagree with mainstream Christianity. I have spent a great deal of time in ministry with current and ex-Jehovah's Witnesses, as well as those who have started to become disillusioned with the Watchtower Organization.

Jehovah's Witnesses are generally wonderful and moral people who are zealous for God. However, in their zeal, they have pledged allegiance to what they believe is God's spirit-directed organization. This allegiance blinds them from allowing God's word alone to work in them. My hope is to share the love of Jesus Christ with all who seek salvation, no matter their label or denomination. My experiences come from the relationship that I have with Him as the source of my daily strength. These experiences create an undeniable testimony of salvation by grace through faith in the cleansing blood of the Lamb of God. Through prayer and meditation on God's holy word alone, we find truth as revealed to us through the Holy Spirit.

As the word "organization" is misleading in this particular area, I want to be clear that, as a member of the body of Christ, the label or denomination of the church I attend is not the source of my salvation. I do not go to or through any organization for official knowledge or guidance. I go to God's word alone.

I have a Bachelor and Master's Degree with extensive educational experience.