Jehovah`s Witness/Evasiveness

Question
Do you read the forum and the answers to other questions? There is a discussion going on now about whether or not this site is approved for JW's.  The person asking the question can't get a straight answer.  Do you know the answer to this?

Answer
Yes, I do read the forums, and the discussions can be frustrating at times.  Dee is simply trying to get a straight answer, and she is not.  Do I know the answer to the question?  Not really, but I can direct her to some Watchtower statements that may answer some things for her.

"False religious propaganda from any source should be avoided like poison! Really, since our Lord has used "the faithful and discreet slave" to convey to us "sayings of everlasting life," why should we ever want to look anywhere else?" Watchtower 1987 Nov 1 p.20

"Thus the "faithful and discreet slave" does not endorse any literature, meetings, or Web sites that are not produced or organized under its oversight."  Question Box - Kingdom Ministry 2007

Because the answer to Dee's question would necessarily illustrate the hypocrisy of those to whom the question was asked, they chose to evade the question.  This is called "theocratic warfare", and the Watchtower has been clear on how they handle this.

'So in time of spiritual warfare it is proper to misdirect the enemy by hiding the truth. It is done unselfishly; it does not harm anyone; on the contrary, it does much good. Today God's servants are engaged in a warfare, a spiritual, theocratic warfare, a warfare ordered by God against wicked spirit forces and against false teachings. God's servants are sent forth as sheep among wolves and therefore need to exercise the extreme caution of serpents so as to protect properly the interests of God's Kingdom. At all times they must be very careful not to divulge any information to the enemy that he could use to hamper the preaching work.'' Watchtower May 1, 1957 Page 285 - 286

'No harm is practiced, however, by withholding incriminating information from one who is not entitled to know" - Watchtower Oct 1, 1954, 'Christians Live the Truth', par 21

'We must tell the truth to one who is entitled to know, but if one is not so entitled we may be evasive. ... As a soldier of Christ he is in theocratic warfare and he must exercise added caution when dealing with God's foes. Thus the Scriptures show that for the purpose of protecting the interests of God's cause, it is proper to hide the truth from God's enemies.' Watchtower June 1, 1960, pages 351-352

'While malicious lying is definitely condemned in the Bible, this does not mean that a person is under obligation to divulge truthful information to people who are not entitled to it" - Insight On The Scriptures, Volume 2, 1988 pages 244-245

Awake published a couple very introspective articles in their June 22, 2000 edition.  The articles are titled "The Manipulation of Information" and "Do Not Be a Victim of Propaganda!"  Quotes are below...let's just say, I couldn't agree more.

"The cunning propagandist loves such shortcuts-especially those that short-circuit rational thought. Propaganda encourages this by agitating the emotions, by exploiting insecurities, by capitalizing on the ambiguity of language, and by bending rules of logic.
Certainly, the handiest trick of the propagandist is the use of outright lies.
Another very successful tactic of propaganda is generalization. Generalizations tend to obscure important facts about the real issues in question, and they are frequently used to demean entire groups of people.
Some people insult those who disagree with them by questioning character or motives instead of focusing on the facts.
The sly art of propaganda can paralyse thought, prevent clear thinking and discernment and condition individuals to act en masse.
Emotional appeals are fabricated by practiced publicists, who play on feelings as skillfully as a virtuoso plays the piano. For example, fear is an emotion that can becloud judgment.
THERE is a difference-a big difference-between education and propaganda. Education shows you how to think. Propaganda tells you what to think. Good educators present all sides of an issue and encourage discussion. Propagandists relentlessly force you to hear their view and discourage discussion. Often their real motives are not apparent. They sift the facts, exploiting the useful ones and concealing the others. They also distort and twist facts, specializing in lies and half-truths. Your emotions, not your logical thinking abilities, are their target.
The propagandist makes sure that his message appears to be the right and moral one and that it gives you a sense of importance and belonging if you follow it. You are one of the smart ones, you are not alone, you are comfortable and secure-so they say
So we need to be selective. We need to scrutinize whatever is presented to us, deciding what to accept and what to reject.
Also, if possible, try to check the track record of those speaking. Are they known to speak the truth?"

Thank you for the very interesting question, and I hope as you begin to see more of "The Truth About The Truth" you will continue to ask more questions.

Jehovah`s Witness

Richard