Jehovah`s Witness/hell

Question
what is hell fire and is it biblical?

Answer
The word “hell” is found in many Bible translations. In the same verses other translations read “the GRAVE,” “the world of the dead,” and so forth.

Other Bibles simply transliterate the original-language words; What are those words? The Hebrew she’ohl′ and its Greek equivalent hai′des, which refer to the common GRAVE of dead mankind.

The Greek ge′en·na (lake of fire) is often used by religions when trying to prove the wicked are tormented in a fire, when really the word gehenna is used as a SYMBOL of eternal destruction,not of torment.

Both in Christendom and in many non-Christian religions it is taught that hell is a place inhabited by demons and where the wicked, after death, are punished (and some believe that this is with torment).

The Bible teaches--Hell is the grave where both good & bad go; & Gehenna symbolizes everlasting death.

The dead cannot be "tormented" as the bible tells us "the dead are conscious of nothing at all" Ecc 9;5,10

If you would like a more indeph answer on the subject Im happy to help :¬)

all the best  

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenda Martin