Jehovah`s Witness/Jesus Body

Question

I've been reading the post about the resurrection of Jesus body between you and the witness Experts.

I would Just like to ask you what is your take (the born-again belief)on Luke 24:39

(Luke 24:39) "...Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit has not flesh and bones, as you see me have..."

Where was the Blood of Christ? But before you answer please also consider Leviticus 17:11 and John 1:29

(Leviticus 17:11,John 1:29) "...For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that makes an atonement for the soul...""Jesus...the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world.!..."

So again where was Jesus Blood after his resurrection?

Answer
Hello Kay, how are you?  Thank you for writing with your question.  You know, what really matters on a topic such as this, is what the Bible SAYS.  Not how someone wants to "interpret" it, not what we WANT it to say based on our religious affiliation, and not what someone else tells us it actually means.  Not even the questions that people might come up with, because they think there is a problem with what is written (not saying you are doing that).

No, the only thing that matters, is what it says.  Anything beyond that, is secondary.  If Jesus states His post-resurrection body was flesh, then it was flesh, regardless of whatever questions a person may come up with after we are told this.  Jesus doesn't lie, but man does, and false religion does.  That is the very reason we are told in Romans 3:4....

"....let God be true, but every man a liar...."

Now, on to your question.  You ask...."I would Just like to ask you what is your take (the born-again belief)on Luke 24:39

REPLY:  Well again, it doesn't matter what the "born again belief" is, what the JW belief is, or what my take is.  Again, it only matters what it says.  Now, I try to make "my take" be exactly what it says, rather than trying to make it say what "my take" is.  That is the difference you have seen between my comments, and those of the JW experts.  They have an Organizational doctrine to uphold.  I am not trying to support any particular group, or make the Bible uphold their teachings.

That being said, Jesus appears to His disciples in this account, after His resurrection.  Their first reaction was to assume they had seen a spirit.  Now, I realize the JWs try to skirt around this, by saying this really means "apparition/demon".  First off, that isn't what the text says.  This is the same Greek word "pneuma" that occurs 159 other times in the NT, as "spirit".  To say for a fact that the disciples thought they were seeing an "apparition", is purely conjecture, and adding to the text something it does not say, in order to avoid the fact that Jesus also told Him His body was FLESH and bones, and NOT a spirit.  He didn't say He wasn't an "apparition"....He said He was not a spirit.  Actually, there is not a huge difference between the two, but the JWs seem to be implying (completely without warrant), that this is speaking of "apparition" in the sense of an evil spirit or demon.

And even if the disciples did think He was an apparition, that doesn't change a thing.  Because this would still have been the perfect time to have told the disciples that NO, He was not an apparition/demon, NOR a fleshly body, but rather had undergone a "spiritual" resurrection.  But He didn't.  Instead of doing the obvious here (if the WT were correct, that is), Jesus went so far as to tell them He was NOT a spirit, but WAS flesh and bones.  He contrasted the body He had, with that of a spirit.  Therefore, since Jesus here told us He was NOT a "pneuma", we can safely conclude that He was not a spirit, apparition, demon, angel, or any other spirit being.  His body was flesh and bones....period.

Now, we have 2 options....

1.  Believe that Jesus was deceiving the disciples by telling them He wasn't a spirit, when He was, and leading them to believe He was resurrected in a fleshly body, when He wasn't.

Basically, taking on a body that wasn't really His, to prove it was really Him.

OR....

2.  Believe what Jesus said....That He wasn't a spirit, but had a fleshly body after the resurrection.

My take is, that Jesus was not a spirit, but was in a fleshly body....Because that is what He said.  He is obviously presenting a CONTRAST between the body that HE had, and that of a spirit, by inviting them to see that it was really Him, and to handle Him, to prove that He had a material nature.

Now, one of the "experts" on that side, has continually made the comment over and over that we are supposed to "believe what Jesus said", and "believe what the Bible says", without putting our own ideas into it.  Unfortunately, she is not practicing her own principle, because what it SAYS, and what they believe, are vastly different.  On the other hand, I choose to just believe  what it says.

Now, we can either just accept what He said, or try and place interpretations on the verse, in order to keep a pre-conceived doctrine intact, as the JWs are doing.

You also asked...."Where was the Blood of Christ? But before you answer please also consider Leviticus 17:11 and John 1:29

So again where was Jesus Blood after his resurrection?"

REPLY:  Well, you asked me to examine 2 verses before answering, and both verses would indicate that His blood was poured out as the atonement for our sin.  That is why I would not expect His resurrected body to still retain the blood.  

That is why the JW argument that Jesus couldn't have had a fleshly body because the Bible says that "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God", is extremely faulty.  The verse in Luke does not say "flesh and blood"...no mention of blood is made.  It says "flesh and bones".  And other than that obvious fact, the phrase "flesh and blood" is an idiom for sinful mankind anyway, and Jesus was not sinful either before or after His resurrection.  They would do well to read the entire context of 1 Corinthians 15, as well, for the contrast is NOT about a physical body entering Heaven, but about "corruption" being changed to "incorruption", and "mortality" being changed to "immortality".  There is not a word about giving up flesh, but exchanging corruptible flesh, for incorruptible.  Another verse they use that is taken badly out of context.

One more point I wish to make.  Now, I write this not knowing which side of the coin you are on here.  You did not say if you are a JW, or not.  I saw your question originates in England, but I do not wish to assume that you are a friend or associate of DW on that basis alone, nor do I know that you are not, either.  Either way, I want to address the blasphemy this man and one of his followers have posted on here, in regards to Jesus being a "zombie", because He was raised without blood.

Now, I dealt with that blasphemous stupidity several weeks back, by giving the definition of the word "zombie", and showing how Scripturally, Jesus' resurrected body did not even come close to resembling such as that.  For an in-depth refutation of the "zombie" argument, please read....

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Jehovah-s-Witness-1617/2012/10/dw-jw-lady.htm

But the fact is, JWs like to mock the notion of Jesus walking around without blood in His resurrected body, because they somehow think He couldn't live without blood, therefore rendering Him a "zombie".  This merely shows their ignorance of Scripture, especially 1 Corinthians chapter 15, which shows that the resurrected body is incorruptible, and immortal.  It is a body that has the curse of sin removed from it, and therefore, cannot die.  It cannot be compared to the CORRUPTIBLE bodies that we have now, which CAN feel pain, can wear out, and die.  Our bodies now do need blood to survive, because it is necessary for survival on earth as long as we are under the curse of sin.  No such requirement is needed for survival in Heaven, therefore, our resurrected bodies do not need to retain blood.  They are supernatural bodies, as was Christ's resurrected body.  It has nothing to do with it having a fleshly nature....it is glorified because the curse of sin is removed from it.

Its interesting to note that these JWs love to compare Jesus' resurrection with angels materializing.  Hmm, I wonder if those "materialized" angels had blood flowing in their veins?  If not, were they zombies?

Jesus' post-resurrection body was FLESH, as Luke 24:39 plainly says.  These are the words of Jesus Himself...Not my opinion, or the teachings of my church.  Just a plain statement from the Lord Himself.  Furthermore, He was not a mindless animated "zombie", going around trying to eat people, growling and attacking everyone in sight.  These people will face Him one day for making statements like that.  The Biblical fact of the matter, is that He rose in a glorified body made of flesh, which was a foreshadowing of what our resurrection bodies will be like (Phil. 3:21).  He was in His right mind, He was able to speak and communicate, had no desire to eat anyone, and was not rotting or decaying as zombies are, and had no resemblence whatsoever to a "zombie".

JWs who make this statement, are desperate to keep a false doctrine intact, and have no understanding whatsoever of the nature of our resurrected bodies.

So, it was not necessary in the least for Christ's resurrected body to contain blood.

I hope this has answered your question.  If you would like for me to clarify anything for you, please do not hesitate to write again.  I will be "on vacation" from the board until Monday, but you can feel free to contact me at that time.

Thanks for writing, and have a wonderful day.

Derrick

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland