Jehovah`s Witness/Latest Stats

[Written by Richard]

One of the great blessings for those who wish to examine Jehovah's Witness beliefs is the large amount of published material that exists.  Recently, the new Yearbook was published with many telling statistics.

Most notably is the number of Memorial partakers, 12,604.  Why is this number an embarassment to the WT?  Let's look.

"Logically, the calling of the little flock would draw to a close when the number was nearing completion, and the evidence is that the general gathering of these specially blessed ones ended in 1935." Watchtower 1995 Feb 15 p.19

By this statement, the number should only go down as people die off.  Does this number correlate with scriptural expectations?  According to the WT it does.

•"Over the past seven years, from 1974 to 1980 inclusive, Jehovah’s Witnesses have made steady progress. Their growth is healthy. Only as to Memorial partakers has there been a gradual decline which is in accord with Scriptural expectations." - 1981 Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses, p. 31

So why is it important that these scriptural expectations occur?  To convince people that we are in the Last Days.

"Six Convincing Lines of Evidence" that we are in the Last Days. Sixth, the number of genuine anointed disciples of Christ is dwindling, though some will evidently still be on earth when the great tribulation begins. . Most of the remnant are quite elderly, and over the years the number of those who are truly anointed has been getting smaller." Watchtower 2000 Jan 15 p.13

How elderly are they?  Well, the 1961 yearbook says that 600 of the anointed went to heaven between 1959 and 1960.  600 of them 40+ years ago?  That number must be way up now.

So, what has happened since this convincing line of evidence of last days was published?  Let's look at the number of memorial takers since 2000.

These numbers seem pretty normal.  So, the evidence is pretty convincing so far.  Let's keep looking.

This is a 47.8% increase in 7 years.  So, how do they explain this?

If the death rate has miraculously stayed the same since 1960, this would be total of 8280 new additions (4080+4200) in just seven years.  This means that conservatively 65.7% of the partakers of the 2012 Memorial began after 2005.

So, how does the WT explain these newly anointed?

The first defense is that newly anointed ones are replacing previous anointed ones who fell away before their earthly ministry was complete.  Second is a recent quote.  

"Memorial partakers. This is the number of baptized individuals who partake of the emblems at the Memorial worldwide. Does this total represent the number of anointed ones on earth? Not necessarily. A number of factors — including past religious beliefs or even mental or emotional imbalance  — might cause some to assume mistakenly that they have the heavenly calling. We thus have no way of knowing the exact number of anointed ones on earth; nor do we need to know ." Watchtower 2011 Aug 15 p.22

But in 2000, they claimed that the number of truly anointed ones on earth was getting smaller and that this was evidence that we are in the last days.  In order to make this claim, they must have known from the first records to 2000 how many anointed there were.  How is it that they can't keep track now?  How did they lose so much control in the past 12 years?  Could it be that Judge Rutherford was just simply wrong with his 1935 assessment?  Does being wrong really matter to the Governing Body or is unity more important than truth?  Let's let Hayden Covington answer that question under oath. [ corrected from first was not Fred Franz...thank you DW ]

From the Douglas-Walsh Trial
"Q" was the question asked to Mr. Covington
"A" was the response by Mr. Covington

They were currently speaking of believing false prophecies.

Q. If a member of Jehovah's witnesses took the view himself that that prophecy was wrong, and said so, would he be disfellowshipped?

A. Yes, if he said so, and kept on persisting in creating trouble, because if the whole organisation believes one thing, even though it be erroneous , and somebody else starts on his own trying to put his ideas across, then there is a disunity and trouble, there cannot be harmony, there cannot be marching ...... Our purpose is to have unity.

Q. Unity at all costs?

A. Unity at all costs, because we believe and are sure that Jehovah God is using our organisation,the governing body of our organisation, to direct it, even though mistakes are made from time to time.

Q. A unity based on an enforced acceptance of false prophecy ?

A. That is conceded to be true .

Q. And the person who expresses his view, as you say, that it was wrong, and was disfellowshipped, would be in breach of the covenant, if he was baptised?

A. That is correct.

Q. And as you said yesterday expressly, would be worthy of death?

A. I think....

Q. Would you say yes or no?

A. I will answer yes, unhesitatingly.

Q. Do you call that religion?

A. It certainly is.

Q. Do you call that Christianity?

A. I certainly do.

The sad thing is that so many within the organization will read this and completely miss that Mr. Covington conceded an enforced acceptance of false prophecy under oath.  They will miss that he said that the organization has "erroneous" beliefs.  Some will simply forward this to DW or another expert and cry about satanic tactics while they weep and gnash their teeth.  Few will look in the mirror and test their religion.  

As far as my take on the huge increase in memorial partakers...I would like to think that people recognize that Jesus commanded this of all His believers.  Go and make disciples, and Do this in remembrance of me.  Two easy instructions.

Jehovah`s Witness

I am not a Jehovah's Witness, however I can answer many questions concerning the ideas and doctrines on which they disagree with mainstream Christianity. I have spent a great deal of time in ministry with current and ex-Jehovah's Witnesses, as well as those who have started to become disillusioned with the Watchtower Organization.

Jehovah's Witnesses are generally wonderful and moral people who are zealous for God. However, in their zeal, they have pledged allegiance to what they believe is God's spirit-directed organization. This allegiance blinds them from allowing God's word alone to work in them. My hope is to share the love of Jesus Christ with all who seek salvation, no matter their label or denomination. My experiences come from the relationship that I have with Him as the source of my daily strength. These experiences create an undeniable testimony of salvation by grace through faith in the cleansing blood of the Lamb of God. Through prayer and meditation on God's holy word alone, we find truth as revealed to us through the Holy Spirit.

As the word "organization" is misleading in this particular area, I want to be clear that, as a member of the body of Christ, the label or denomination of the church I attend is not the source of my salvation. I do not go to or through any organization for official knowledge or guidance. I go to God's word alone.

I have a Bachelor and Master's Degree with extensive educational experience.