Jehovah`s Witness/who replaced Judas

QUESTION: Good day

can you please answer this question for me? (with scriptures and not material copied and pasted from the watchtower library)

Who replaced Judas? Did the eleven apostles have the power and authority to chose a replacement for Judas? And why did Paul repeatedly say he is an apostle? and lastly whose name will be on the foundation stones of the new Jerusalem, Paul's or Matthias?

Thank you

ANSWER: The Bible prophesied about Judas & him being replaced at-

Psalms 109; 8 “Let his(Judas) days prove to be few; His office of oversight let someone else take.”

Two were put forth as suitable for replacing unfaithful Judas & to decide, they cast lots as Proverbs 16; 33 tells us—“Into the lap the lot is cast down, but every decision by it is from Jehovah.”

Matthias was selected and was thereafter “reckoned along with the eleven apostles” according to- Acts 1:23-26)

We then read about him being included among “the twelve” who settled the problem concerning the Greek-speaking disciples in the account at- (Acts 6:1, 2)

Paul includes him in referring to “the twelve” when speaking of Jesus’ post-resurrection appearances at 1 Corinthians 15:4-8.

So when Pentecost arrived, there were 12 apostolic foundations on which the spiritual Israel then formed could rest.

all the best

QUESTION: reckoned along with the eleven apostles by who? Jehovah and His Son? or men?

And Matthias was counted in the twelve by Paul and Matthias witnessed the Lord Jesus’ post-resurrection appearances. I Cor. 15:3-8
(1Co 15:3) For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
(1Co 15:4) and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
(1Co 15:5) and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.
(Technically, this event happened before Matthias was chosen; which means that the phrase, “The twelve” was a name they called the collection of the Apostles and not referring to a literal number of twelve.)

Judas Iscariot was dead, so who are the twelve? Paul has to be referring to Matthias. Paul can’t be referring to himself because he wasn’t even chosen yet. Paul confirms this as we keep reading…
(1Co 15:6) After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep;
(1Co 15:7) then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles;
(1Co 15:8) and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also.

Why does Paul make a distinction between “the twelve” in vs 5 and “the apostles” in vs. 7?
Paul uses the term “apostles” more broadly than just the original twelve and himself.  We read in

(Rom 16:7) Greet Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners, who are outstanding among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

Thank you

“All scripture is inspired of GOD”  (2 Tim3;16,17)

The scriptures foretold Judas’ deflection (Ps 41:9)

The inspired Scriptures also foretold-- “his office of oversight let someone else take,” (Ps 109; 8)

After prayer to GOD, lots were cast, and Matthias was chosen; this is the last instance reported in the Bible of the lots being resorted to in determining Jehovah’s choice in a matter.—Ac 1:15-26.

Note, though, why lots were used. The apostles prayed: “You, O Jehovah, who know the hearts of all, designate which one of these two men you have chosen.” (Acts 1:23, 24) They wanted the choice to be GOD'S.

According to Peter’s words (Ac 1:21, 22), Matthias had been a follower of Christ throughout Jesus’ three-and-a-half-year ministry, had been closely associated with the apostles, and was quite likely one of the 70 disciples or evangelists whom Jesus sent out to preach. (Lu 10:1)

Matthias was chosen to replace Judas Iscariot, a step initiated by Peter at Pentecost of 33c.e. About 120 disciples were present when God chose a man to replace Jesus’ betrayer, Judas, restoring the apostolic number to 12.

Then much later Corinthians was written by Paul in Ephesus in  55 C.E.

The appearance being mentioned in 1 Corinthians 15:5 seems to be the one recorded in John 20:26-29, which involved Thomas. However, this refers to the apostles AS A GROUP and likely included Matthias.

Some have wondered why Paul would write that Jesus appeared to “the twelve,” since at that time Judas was dead and Matthias had not yet been selected. Being specific, there were then only “eleven apostles” that had originally been designated and sent forth by Jesus.—Luke 6:13-16.

It is normal to speak of a group collectively even if one member is absent. (“The board of directors decided . . . ” “The body of elders met . . . ”) So the term “the twelve” may well have been used in reference to the whole group of apostles, even if one or two were absent on an occasion. (Compare Acts 6:1-6.)

When Jesus first appeared to the disciples in a locked room, “Thomas, one of the twelve, . . . was not with them.” Eight days later he was present and had any uncertainty settled. (John 20:19-29)

Though Matthias had not then been designated to replace Judas, he was a longtime disciple. (Acts 1:21, 22) Since he was closely associated with the original apostles and shortly thereafter was “reckoned along with” them, the retrospective comment about Jesus’ appearance to “the twelve” likely included Matthias.

The term is principally applied to those disciples whom Jesus personally selected as a body of 12 appointed representatives.

Other men also are referred to as “apostles of congregations” in the sense that they were sent forth by such congregations to represent them. (2Co 8:23)

And, in writing to the Philippians, Paul speaks of Epaphroditus as “your envoy [a•po′sto•lon] and private servant for my need.” (Php 2:25)

The apostleship of these men was clearly not by virtue of any apostolic succession, nor did they form part of “the twelve” as did Matthias.

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenda Martin

I have been one of Jehovah`s Witneses now for over 30 years, in those years I have brought up 4 children, teaching each of them the bible.Being one of Jehovah`s Witnesses has helped me cope with my Epilepsy and bring up a daughter with learning difficulties.I have conducted bible studies with people from nearly every denomination i.e. Muslim. Having used the bible all these years to answer peoples questions, I feel I am qualified to give any answer regarding Jehovah`s Witnesses and the bible.

My experience has been one of attending bible lectures 5 times a week,taking part in these lectures in front of an audience and being with thousands of J.W. at conventions where I have seen the bible at work in peoples lives.It is truly a miracle when you see thousands of people meeting together and not one policeman needed, and not even a piece of litter in sight.It is like another world.

Nearly 40 years as a Witness, is my "education" bringing up 4 children, dealing with Epilepsy, bringing up a disabled daughter.