Jehovah`s Witness/TREE OF LIFE

Hi Ben.

I read your answer on Tree of Life. You say there was no prohibition about that Tree and they could have eaten - correct. But after the sin, Jehovah is speaking, commanding angels to guard the Tree of Life so that Adam wont eat and LIVE FOREVER. Of course this could be symbolic, I dont know. You say they didnt die the same day, so their death was spiritual. This is not enough evidence for this view. It could also be a fleshy death, in the sense that the same day Jehovah removed his spirit from them and they started getting old. They didnt have to die instantly, because Jehovah had told them to multiply and the Savior should be born from the woman.

As you know, I believe that soul is different than the flesh and is the real essence of man - the subject of all senses. But Im not sure if that soul can live without a fleshy body, maybe it was created to live only in a fleshy body. Maybe it sleeps when the flesh dies, waiting for the resurrection.

Why do you believe it was a "spiritual" death?
Thanks, have a great day

Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you again. You are correct to say that after they sinned, they were banned from the Garden of Eden where the Tree of Life was so that they would not eat of it and live forever. This is perhaps the greatest reason why I said that the laws of entropy were already taking place and that in order to cancel out those affects of decay and deterioration they needed to eat from this tree. I don't think that it is symbolic when spoken of in Genesis but certainly could be in Revelation. There is simply no grounds for saying that the Tree of Life was symbolic in the Garden of Eden.

In regards to the death of Adam and Eve, I believe that they did die that day but it was a spiritual death not a physical one. However, I believe that they ultimately died a physical death over 900 years later but this was not the type of death that God warned about. Notice what God's warning to them was....

Genesis 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”

Notice what this text does not say. It does not say that the day they ate from this tree that they would BEGIN to die. No, it says very clearly that the very day they ate they would die. In other words, on the day that you eat of it you will die. So somehow, we have to connect this fact with our own doctrine or see that our doctrine can't connect with it and change our doctrine so that it does. My doctrine fits fine with it. I say that they experienced spiritual death that same day they ate of the fruit. The question now becomes as to what "spiritual death" is.

Spiritual death is simply the separation of our entire tri-une being (body, soul and spirit# from the One Holy and Perfect tri-une God #Father, Son and Holy Spirit#. This contrasts with physical death which is simply the physical aspect of man, the body, being separated from the non-physical or immaterial aspect of man, the soul and spirit, at physical death. One example I will give of spiritual death in the Bible is found in Ephesians 2:1-6 which reads....

And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, 2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, 3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ #by grace you have been saved),

You brought up that you didn't know if the soul maintains existence without the body. Let me give you one more passage among man that show that the soul does live on when the body dies...

Revelation 6:9 When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held. 10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, “How long, O Lord, holy and true, until You judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?”

This seems to clearly show that 1) these are not persons with physical bodies because the "had been slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held" and 2) they are conscious and cry out.

To conclude, I do believe that it was a spiritual death that Adam and Eve suffered because they didn't die physically the day they ate it. However, they were separated from God by hiding behind a tree and later that same day being kicked out of the Garden of Eden.

Those are my thoughts. Thanks for asking.

Jehovah`s Witness

Ben Erdman

I will attempt to answer any questions that have to do with major Jehovah’s Witness doctrine. I will also try to give an accurate and honest explanation from the "Truth" (the Word of God). I am not a Jehovah’s Witness. I was never baptized as one. I am a "witness" for Christ. I love talking about God and the piercing Word that He has provided for us. If I don't know the answer to a question I will be more than happy to research it and get an answer. So, let’s talk.

I have grown up in the religion known as Jehovah’s Witnesses. Nearly all of my family (immediate and extended) are Jehovah’s Witnesses. I have been to probably hundreds of meetings, several assemblies and have had many in-depth bible studies with Witnesses. I love these people and admire their great zeal to do what they believe is truth. I have done extensive research into this area. I have a great passion in Jehovah’s Witness doctrine and beliefs.

I do not have any particular educational credentials that affect this field. I believe that I have been very educated in this field of Jehovah’s Witness doctrine by my own experience and extensive studies. I also believe in my heart that the Spirit of God has educated me in this area and will continue to do so.