Jehovah`s Witness/birthdays

Question
Hello again,  may I start by thanking you for offering your free time to answer questions.  There are so many JW sites, but I can't find one that I can direct my questions to via email (perhaps you know of one?). With no disrespect intended I think perhaps a member may have a more difinitive answer.  Just a thought.  I do appreciate that you have studied the "faith" closely.

I wonder how organising a children's birthday party is viewed by the JW church?  Or, if a Witness attended her Grandchildren's birthday party is that OK? And, why or why not.

Thank you once again for your time.

Answer
Hello Michelle, and thanks for writing.

The way this particular site works, your questions come directly to our e-mail account, which we have linked to this site.  We as the volunteers do not see your e-mail address...we merely click on a link to answer your question.

On this particular site, there are those who are both currently practicing JWs, and those who are not.  But each and every volunteer on this site is going to give you basically the same answer to this particular question.  If you want this question answered from a practicing JW, you can certainly get their input as well, although I am happy to help with this question also.

You asked..."I wonder how organising a children's birthday party is viewed by the JW church?  Or, if a Witness attended her Grandchildren's birthday party is that OK? And, why or why not."

ANSWER:  A birthday celebration of ANY sort, is against the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses, be it an adult's or a children's party.  In fact, you mention about a Witness attending her Grandchildren's party, and ask if it is ok?  In fact, it is NOT okay for a Witness to attend or take part in a birthday party.  The truth is, my mother is a JW, and she has never attended one single birthday party for any of her grandchildren.  My boys are 17 and 15, and she does not come to their birthday parties/cook-outs.  If they have a ball game, she will come.  If they have an event at school, she comes.  But not to a birthday gathering.

The JW reasoning for this, is that they teach that there are only 2 birthday celebrations mentioned in the Bible, and both of them were celebrated by wicked rulers, and both resulted in someone being beheaded.  Therefore, they claim the Bible must be "trying to show us something" about birthdays, and how Jehovah God views them.  Now, the above reasoning isn't exactly Scriptural, but that is the reasoning, nonetheless.  

I believe a JW volunteer on here would give you the same answer, and probably some comments about early Christians avoiding birthday celebrations.  Of course, even if this were true, early Christians also believed in the deity of Jesus Christ, the Personality of the Holy Spirit, and the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ as well, all of which are denied by Jehovah's Witnesses.

I have also heard another reason used for not celebrating birthdays, and that reason is, that it is wrong to give undue honor to a "creature", instead of the Creator.  Now, this may not be a commonly used reason, but it is one that JW members of my family have used.  Of course, those same JWs have been known to throw graduation parties, "going away" parties, and other types of events, for the same "creature" who's birthday they are forbidden to have a gathering for.  

I hope this answer has helped, and if I can be of any further help to you, please do not hesitate to ask.  Take care, Michelle, and have a wonderful evening.

Derrick

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland