Jehovah`s Witness/Why are you hiding the truth about Easter?

Brenton wrote at 2013-01-05 08:27:24

Hi Derrick

I know you have a real strong conviction that the KJ Bible is the only Bible that a Christian should use.  We had a few discutions on this several years ago.  But I just thought I would share what some Bible Dictionaries have to say about the word Easter

American tract Society

Is improperly put for PASSOVER, # Ac 12:4; Passover being the name of the ancient Jewish festival here referred to; while Easter, from the Saxon goddess Eostre, is the modern name of a Christian festival, in commemoration of the events of Passover-week, and fixed at the same period of the year.

Concise Bible Dictionary

Easter

πυσχα. Simply ‘the Passover,’ #Ac 12:4, as the word is elsewhere translated.

Easton's  Revised Bible Dictionary

Easter

Originally a Saxon word (Eostre), denoting a goddess of the Saxons, in honour of whom sacrifices were offered about the time of the Passover. Hence the name came to be given to the festival of the Resurrection of Christ, which occured at the time of the Passover. In the early English versions this word was frequently used as the translation of the Greek pascha (the Passover). When the Authorized Version (1611) was formed, the word "passover" was used in all passages in which this word pascha occurred, except in #Ac 12:4 In the Revised Version the proper word, "passover," is always used.

Fausset Bible Dictionary

EASTER

The KJV of pascha (to be translated instead as "the Passover") in #Ac 12:4. "Easter" is a Christian feast; the Passover is a Jewish feast.

International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia

EASTER

es’-ter (pascha, from Aramaic paccha’ and Hebrew pecach, the Passover festival):

The English word comes from the Anglo-Saxon Eastre or Estera, a Teutonic goddess to whom sacrifice was offered in April, so the name was transferred to the paschal feast.

The word does not properly occur in Scripture, although the King James Version has it in #Ac 12:4 where it stands for Passover, as it is rightly rendered in the Revised Version (British and American). There is no trace of Easter celebration in the New Testament, though some would see an intimation of it in #1Co 5:7. The Jewish Christians in the early church continued to celebrate the Passover, regarding Christ as the true paschal lamb, and this naturally passed over into a commemoration of the death and resurrection of our Lord, or an Easter feast. This was preceded by a fast, which was considered by one party as ending at the hour of the crucifixion, i.e. at 3 o’clock on Friday, by another as continuing until the hour of the resurrection before dawn on Easter morning. Differences arose as to the time of the Easter celebration, the Jewish Christians naturally fixing it at the time of the Passover feast which was regulated by the paschal moon. According to this reckoning it began on the evening of the 14th day of the moon of the month of Nican without regard to the day of the week, while the Gentile Christians identified it with the first day of the week, i.e. the Sunday of the resurrection, irrespective of the day of the month. This latter practice finally prevailed in the church, and those who followed the other reckoning were stigmatized as heretics. But differences arose as to the proper Sunday for the Easter celebration which led to long and bitter controversies. The Council of Nice, 325 AD, decreed that it should be on Sunday, but did not fix the particular Sunday. It was left to the bishop of Alexandria to determine, since that city was regarded as the authority in astronomical matters and he was to communicate the result of his determination to the other bishops.

Smiths Revised Bible Dictionary

EASTER

(πασχα: pascha). The occurrence of this word in the A. V. of {#Ac 12:4} …..Its early name continued to be "the Passover," as at once continuing the Jewish festival, and in itself deeply significant. Substantially the same name is still preserved throughout a large part of Christendom. The English name of Easter and the German Ostern have direct reference rather to the season of the year, the Spring, at which the festival occurs, than to its subject matter; while yet that season itself has always been considered as suggestive of the resurrection. Indeed the names themselves are supposed to be derived from the old word oster, osten, = rising, "because nature arises anew in spring." There was a Teutonic goddess Ostera, whose festival was celebrated early in the Spring by the Saxons, and the occurrence of the Easter festival at the same season made it easter for them to give up their heathen feast, and perhaps led to their attaching thereto a name to which they were already accustomed.

Finally notice that in all other occurrences of the word “pascha “ in the KJ it is rendered as passover. This is ALL the places where “pascha” occures.

Mt 26:2  Ye know that after two days is the feast of the passover <3957>, and the Son of man is betrayed to be crucified.

Mt 26:17  Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover <3957>?

Mt 26:18  And he said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the passover <3957> at thy house with my disciples.

Mt 26:19  And the disciples did as Jesus had appointed them; and they made ready the passover <3957>.

Mr 14:1  After two days was the feast of the passover <3957>, and of unleavened bread: and the chief priests and the scribes sought how they might take him by craft, and put him to death.

Mr 14:12  And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover <3957>, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover <3957>?

Mr 14:14  And wheresoever he shall go in, say ye to the goodman of the house, The Master saith, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover <3957> with my disciples?

Mr 14:16  And his disciples went forth, and came into the city, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover <3957>.

Lu 2:41  Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover <3957>.

Lu 22:1  Now the feast of unleavened bread drew nigh, which is called the Passover <3957>.

Lu 22:7  Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover <3957> must be killed.

Lu 22:8  And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover <3957>, that we may eat.

Lu 22:11  And ye shall say unto the good man of the house, The Master saith unto thee, Where is the guest chamber, where I shall eat the passover <3957> with my disciples?

Lu 22:13  And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover <3957>.

Lu 22:15  And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover <3957> with you before I suffer:

Joh 2:13  And the Jews’ passover <3957> was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem,

Joh 2:23  Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover <3957>, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did.

Joh 6:4  And the passover <3957>, a feast of the Jews, was nigh.

Joh 11:55  And the Jews’ passover <3957> was nigh at hand: and many went out of the country up to Jerusalem before the passover < 3957>, to purify themselves.

Joh 12:1  Then Jesus six days before the passover <3957> came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.

Joh 13:1  Now before the feast of the passover <3957>, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.

Joh 18:28  Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment: and it was early; and they themselves went not into the judgment hall, lest they should be defiled; but that they might eat the passover <3957>.

Joh 18:39  But ye have a custom, that I should release unto you one at the passover <3957>: will ye therefore that I release unto you the King of the Jews?

Joh 19:14  And it was the preparation of the passover <3957>, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!

Ac 12:4  And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter <3957> to bring him forth to the people.

1Co 5:7  Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover <3957> is sacrificed for us:

Heb 11:28  Through faith he kept the passover <3957>, and the sprinkling of blood, lest he that destroyed the firstborn should touch them.

The end result is the word Easter should NOT be in the Bible

Brenton wrote at 2013-01-06 03:08:07
Some more information

Some comments on one of the links you have in your answer.

quote

It is likewise grammatically absurd to think Easter refers to a pagan deity in Acts 12:4 where it says, “intending after Easter to bring him forth unto the people”. Try substituting another name there and see how it sounds. Intending after Buddha to bring him forth, or intending after Krishna to bring him forth to the people.

End quote

This is right out of left field thinking and has no bearing at all on the word Easter.  The writer there is equating Easter with false gods. Of curse sounds silly to say “ after Buddha to bring him forth, or intending after Krishna to bring him forth to the people.”

The passage reads  “And when he   (that is Herod) had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.”   Now Herod was well aware of the Jewish festivals and he used the word that was common for the Jews.  Herod had not long executed James and seeing it please the Jews wanted to execute Peter.   There is NO Christian celebration happening here in this context.  Herod was referring to the NORMAL every day Jewish festival. Not the Christian remembrance of the death of Jesus.

The wirer of the article makes this mistake

quote

The Holy Ghost is speaking here in Acts 12, and He changed the significance of the word pascha to sometimes mean Easter. After all, there was no Easter before this great event.

End quote

It was not the holy ghost (holy spurt) talking it was  Herod's thoughts.  The writer offers no scriptural backing to the idea that the holy spirit changed the meaning of pascha..  That is pure conjecture on his part.

Her is some more absolute conjecture on the part of the writer

quote

The KJB is actually the most accurate translation, in that it uses the word passover before the death and resurrection of Christ and then Easter the only time the word occurs in the book of Acts after His resurrection.

End quote

No proof is offered that the word easter is the correct rendering.  Nothing you quoted from gives any such proof

quote

Around 120 A.D., Polycarp, who was a disciple of John, went to see the Christian leader Anicetus to discuss the proper date for this celebration. Britannica.com. says, "Polycarp, bishop of Smyrna, visited Rome to confer with him about the controversy over the date of Easter." Those in Jerusalem celebrated it on the moveable date of the 14th of Nisan (the Jewish passover) while those in Rome did it on the first Sunday after passover. They decided to let each group continue as they had been doing, rather than cause a split.

Endquote

The mention of easyer in the above quote I very much doubt is correct,for several reason.

1 I would have to see easter (or equivalent ) not passover (or equivalent) in original language of the writing’s and not a translation that I would say was theology biassed toward easter.

I would like se see several copies of the original language such as we have in Bible texts to be able to weed out errors in copies.

And also  Polycarp did nor celebrate easter

quote

Easter and Polycarp

Easter was not observed by the second century Christians in Asia Minor, such as Polycarp. He and others observed Passover.

However, beginning with possibly the Roman Bishop Sixtus (there are no contemporaneous records, only a report 5-6 decades later written by Irenaeus), what is now called Easter began to be observed. First, it was apparently a change in date of Passover from the 14th of Nisan to a Sunday. This is believed to have happened because there was a rebellion by Jews and that any distancing between Jews and Christians seemed physically advantageous (at least to some in Rome).

Irenaeus claimed that Anicetus of Rome (who argued with Polycarp) was simply following previous Roman bishops, beginning with Sixtus, as Irenaeus around 180 A.D. wrote:

And the presbyters preceding Sorer in the government of the Church which thou dost now rule--I mean, Anicetus and Pius, Hyginus and Telesphorus, and Sixtus--did neither themselves observe it [after that fashion], nor permit those with them to do so (Irenaeus. FRAGMENTS FROM THE LOST WRITINGS OF IRENAEUS. Translated by Alexander Roberts and James Donaldson. Excerpted from Volume I of The Ante-Nicene Fathers (Alexander Roberts and James Donaldson, editors); American Edition copyright © 1885. Electronic version copyright © 1997 by New Advent, Inc).

End quote

Brenton wrote at 2013-01-06 03:31:16
Hi again,

I forgot to add this to the last set of comments.  It relates to this quote that I have already made some comment on

quote

Endquote

Here is the extra information.  It appears to be a translation of the works of  IRENAEUS that would alos be the source of the information above..  I noticed the in this translation the word Easter is not used but the word “observance” is used. In the context it relates to the observance of the “Llast Super” or “Lord Evening Meal” (what ever term you prefer)

quote

And when the blessed Polycarp was sojourning in Rome in the time of Anicetus, although a slight controversy had arisen among them as to certain other points…For neither could Anicetus persuade Polycarp to forego the observance [in his own way], inasmuch as these things had been always observed by John the disciple of our Lord, and by other apostles with whom he had been conversant; nor, on the other hand, could Polycarp succeed in persuading Anicetus to keep [the observance in his way], for he maintained that he was bound to adhere to the usage of the presbyters who preceded him. And in this state of affairs they held fellowship with each other; and Anicetus conceded to Polycarp in the Church the celebration of the Eucharist, by way of showing him respect (Irenaeus. FRAGMENTS FROM THE LOST WRITINGS OF IRENAEUS. Translated by Alexander Roberts and James Donaldson. Excerpted from Volume I of The Ante-Nicene Fathers (Alexander Roberts and James Donaldson, editors); American Edition copyright © 1885. Electronic version copyright © 1997 by New Advent, Inc).

end quote

According to that Polycarp did not try to argue about the date of Easter at all. This supports my suspicion I had that the passage you quoted from was penned by a writer with preconceived theological ideas as to what Polycarp and Aricetus wer disputing.  Notice that it talked about “INASMUCH AS THESE THINGS HAD BEEN ALWAYS OBSERVED BY JOHN THE DISCIPLE OF OUR LORD,”  

So that along with the previous twp post above should show that the word Easter was not in use in the first century and at least not while Polycarp was alive.

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland