Jehovah`s Witness/'I' in John 2:19

Hello Derrick, I've asked what does the 'I' in John 2:19 mean to at least four JWs and got three different answers and one refused to answer because he thought I wasn't deserving to know.  I have a general idea since I am able to understand English and the use of pronouns. Would like to know how a Christian would explain it.
Thank You  Kevin.

Hello Sir, and thanks for writing with your question.  I am sorry that you have had such a hard time in getting the "qualified" JWs here to answer a question of this magnitude.

It is a good question, because it deals directly with THREE Watchtower false teachings....The deity of Christ, the bodily resurrection of Christ, and soul sleep.

No wonder they didn't give you a good answer.

You asked...."Hello Derrick, I've asked what does the 'I' in John 2:19 mean to at least four JWs and got three different answers and one refused to answer because he thought I wasn't deserving to know."

REPLY:  You know, this is what is so pathetic about some of these clowns...And I want to emphasize "SOME".  Nobody MADE them sign up.  They whine about who should be here, and who shouldn't, yet they themselves do not even honor the requirements of being here by ANSWERING questions.  That is what they are supposed to be doing.  I think they need to get their own act together, before complaining about who they think doesn't "belong here".  

Let me see if I can help with the question...You want to know how a Christian would explain what the "I" means in John 2:19?

This is really complicated.  In my studies of the Greek, and all of my research into the Biblical languages, I have discovered through much intense study and sleepless nights, that the word "I" means....are you ready?....."I"

Yes, that's right...Jesus was actually referring to Himself, as the One Who would raise up His physical body.

I honestly find it amazing that you ask this question of 4 JWs, and get 3 different answers, and then one that feels you don't "deserve to know".  I think perhaps that it isn't so much that you are undeserving, as it is that they are simply unqualified to answer that question, because it knocks the legs right out from under their doctrine.

Think about this....Suppose you had never read a Christian response to this verse, nor had you ever read a WT explanation for it.  Let's just say you are reading a copy of the Gospel of John for the first time, and you come across this passage...What would you conclude?

1.  That Jesus was saying that they would kill His physical body, and in 3 days He would raise it again?

2.  That Jesus was actually speaking of a spiritual temple, and the founding of the Christian congregation at some later point in time?

What would you get from just reading the passage, with no outside explanation from anyone?

You know, Kevin, I am not sure how long you have been a reader of this board.  I have another friend named Kevin who is a regular contributor, and at first I thought this question was from him.  But he told me it was not him, so I assume you are another guy named Kevin.  But if you were following the board a few months back when all this discussion about John 2:19 came up, you would truly have been amazed at how far JWs will go to try and keep their doctrine propped up, in any way they can.  Some of the all-time most amazing statements to have ever been made on Allexperts, were made regarding this very simple verse.

To you and me, it is clear..."I" means "I", "body" means "body", and the "temple" He spoke of WAS His body.  That is the plain and clear meaning of the text.

Again, I am sorry that you have had problems with getting them to answer the question.  Believe me, you are not the first person to write and tell me that.  Anyway, I hope this has helped.

Thanks for writing, and God bless.

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland

I was raised in the religion known as Jehovah`s Witnesses for 13 years. Since becoming a born-again Christian, I have researched extensively this religion, especially their doctrines and their history. I can answer questions about their doctrines from the perspective of Biblical Christianity. To be clear: Jehovahs Witnesses is the religion of my upbringing, though I myself was never baptized into the religion, nor have I ever been considered as a Jehovahs Witness.

29 years of Biblical research into the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith, and how they differ from the teachings of the Watchtower.

I would advise each questioner to this forum, to carefully READ the profiles of the various volunteers. There are several such as myself, who are not practicing JWs, but will provide you with an accurate and honest answer, regarding JW teaching. If we don't know the answer, we will try to research and get it for you. There are also some excellent practicing JWs here, who also endeavor to give you a factual and honest answer, based on their point of view. I believe by getting both points of view, the questioner can weigh the evidence for themselves, and make an informed decision. Unfortunately, there are also 3 here who claim to be JWs, but do NOT give honest, or well-researched answers. They will tell you only what they want you to believe, and they often hide facts about the history of their religion, as well as print untruths about other people's beliefs. This is done in an attempt to deceive the unsuspecting reader. It can be easily seen who these 3 are, simply by reading the public posts and "answers" which they write. Their posts will normally be filled with personal attacks, and if you question them about some teaching or aspect of the Watchtower that makes them uncomfortable, they will often reject your question, question your motives for asking it, tell you that you have been reading "apostate" sites, or turn the conversation into an attack on another expert. These ones are better avoided, as there is nothing to be gained by way of positive discussion, as they are not interested in intelligent conversation, or honest dialogue. If after reading the forum, you still have any questions as to who they are, just ask me, and I will be happy to tell you. And I can also provide documentation of their willful dishonesty. One thing is for a forum where people from both sides claim to be "Christians", there should never be any willful lying. Such ones only create a distraction in the forum, and provide nothing of any real value.

High School, some college. Studies of God's Word, the Bible, and how it compares to JW theology. I have found my own personal study and experiences to be far more valuable than any formal education or training. The Bible message is clear...Salvation is ONLY through and by the shed blood of Jesus Christ, and no religious organization has a thing to do with it. While attendance at a Bible-preaching, Bible-believing church is a must for spiritual growth and fellowship, no church can grant salvation to its members. Nor is joining a particular group a prerequisite for being saved.