Jehovah`s Witness/Your take on the trinity

Question
I have just read your answers on the JW view of the word "god" as it relates to Jesus.  I thought you were very balanced in the answer you gave.

The trinity has always puzzelled me.  As far as I understand it the Trinity teaches that Jesus, the Father and the Holy Spirit are three distinct and separate individuals. So on that basses the Trinity can be likened to a committee of three.  The Committee is called God. Just as a normal committee is not a committed unless all are in attendance, so God would not be God without the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Your definition was - "As a trinitarian, I believe that God is revealed in three co-equal persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, all of whom are true and God." -  I see there that you make the distinction of the three individuals.  But would you liken them to a committee, or would you say that the three make up one person.

Thank you

Answer
Thanks for your questions.  I will get to the others today as quickly as I can.  I have also been very sick the past 4-5 days, and my head is pretty cloudy.  If I am not offering the answers you are looking for, please feel free to follow up for clarification.

I would hesitate to apply finite concepts to an infinite being.  That, of course, is what the word "trinity" has done to confuse people.  It places God into a box so we can make some effort of understanding His nature in terms that we can understand.  In that regard, JW's have a point.  It's for that reason that I prefer not to use that word with them as the walls come up as soon as it is uttered.

Your idea of a committee is interesting.  There's something about that concept that bothers me, though.  I agree that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are distinct from each other.  The Bible is clear in that.  I guess what bothers me about the idea of a committee is that the members of a committee, as we know it, can function autonomous of each other, even if it's for the same purpose.  The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, although having distinct roles, are never independent.  They are infinitely unified, so closely that they are one.

The idea of God being one is a central theme to both JW's and trinitarians.  The same with the idea of them being separate.  JW's use this to prove their point of view.  Trinitarians do the same to prove theirs.  So let me throw this in the mix to think about.  How does it make you feel to replace the word "God" with the word "Jehovah" since that is the name of God?  If you said, "There is only one Jehovah; the Father is Jehovah; the Son is Jehovah; the Holy Spirit is Jehovah", how does that sound to you?  To me, these statements make is sound more personal and relational, but it's a much more heretical statement in the ears of a JW.  Nevertheless, it's what the Bible teaches.  Does that change your perspective on a committee?

I very much move away from the idea of 3 that make 1 person.  I would never say that the Father one part of God, the Son is part of God, and the Holy Spirit is part of God.

Hope that helps,
Please feel free to follow up  

Jehovah`s Witness

Richard