Jehovah`s Witness/Just want to ask

Question
Hi Derrick

Why the catholic church don't teach their members and let them observe the words of JESUS?(Matthew 28:20) Unlike JW?

Also Born Again christians, why they're just only paying particular attentions to music and dancing? But not the word really ?

I'm a member of Assemblies Of God! And I notice that, my Pastor and reverend don't actually teach us the BIBLE. It's just that only for some times but not too often! And if they're in the mood, they just give us lots of assignments and verses to study and just let us alone to grasp the meaning! I mean, they just let us interpret it and then if we have our own interpretations to present, they just revised it a little and then nothing follows just that simple! Not seriously, or systematically done! Because if you wanted to learn really, then they'll tell you to go to BIBLE school ... I mean, thats UNFAIR.. Coz what if I don't have a SPONSOR to support my schooling ?? I'll just remain being a STAGNANT member then? Can I have your thoughts on this? Thank you

Answer
Hello Dave.  I have read a number of your correspondences with the Witnesses here, and I'm trying to figure out where you are coming from.  I would like to help you, but you seem to like to label the Christians here as "charlatans", and such, which I too believe is unfair.  Nevertheless, I will try and address your questions, as I understand them.

You ask..."Why the catholic church don't teach their members and let them observe the words of JESUS?(Matthew 28:20) Unlike JW?"

REPLY:  I can't answer for why the Catholic Church doesn't teach something...I am not Catholic, and you didn't state exactly what it is you are referring to.  And this is a very non-specific question.  Could you maybe expound a little bit on what it is exactly, that you think the Catholic Church doesn't teach, on how to observe the words of Jesus?

But seriously, you said..."Unlike JW?"

Are you saying that JWs DO observe the words of Jesus?  Not all of them, they don't.  In fact, there are some very important words of Jesus found in John chapter 3, where Jesus taught that a person MUST be born again, to be saved.  I don't think JWs observe that, nor teach that, do they?  And that is a pretty important point, don't you agree?

YOU:  "Also Born Again christians, why they're just only paying particular attentions to music and dancing? But not the word really ?"

REPLY:  Sir, I'm sorry but I honestly have no idea what it is you are asking me here.  How are born again christians paying attention to music and dancing?  Not sure what you mean.  If you can clarify, I will be happy to help.

YOU:  "I'm a member of Assemblies Of God! And I notice that, my Pastor and reverend don't actually teach us the BIBLE."

REPLY:  That's interesting, Dave.  I was saved in an Assemblies of God church, and attended one for several years after coming to Christ.  Now, there are a couple of doctrinal points with them that I don't hold to, but I can't agree with your assertion that they don't teach the Bible.  If the particular church you are in is not doing this, find one that is.  But I can say that the first REAL Bible teaching I ever received, was in the A/G church.  Through them, I came to understand many basic Bible truths, such as the Gospel that Jesus' blood was shed for me, and was the only provision to be saved.  I also came to understand the nature of God as revealed in the Bible, and learned that the Holy Spirit was no "force", but a Personal Being.  

Now granted, I haven't been in the A/G for over 20 years, and perhaps things have changed.  But I find it hard to believe that they don't teach the Bible, because it was there that I first got a hunger and thirst for the Word of God.  Also, I recall many times meeting in the homes of our various church members in the A/G, for the purpose of Bible study.  And our pastor always did a good job preaching the Bible to us.  So, I'm not sure what the problem is in your particular church?

Let me ask you something, Dave?  Have you gone to your pastor and spoken to him personally about your concerns?  That is another thing that Jesus taught us to do, and since you want to observe the words of Jesus (which is commendable), maybe that would be a good place to start?  Perhaps you can give him suggestions of some things that might make your understanding of the Scriptures more complete.

I hope you're not simply a disgruntled church member, coming on a public message board, talking about your pastor for some wrong motive.  I wouldn't want to think that, so my suggestion is to talk to him about your concerns.

YOU:  "It's just that only for some times but not too often! And if they're in the mood, they just give us lots of assignments and verses to study and just let us alone to grasp the meaning!"

REPLY:  Well, if you take a "bible study" with Jehovah's Witnesses, you will wind up studying a BOOK.  Not the Bible, but a book published by the Watchtower Society.  Yes, there will be Bible verses referred to, supposedly to verify the statement just made in the book, which if you look up the passages, they usually do nothing of the sort.  

I would be interested to see if a JW would be willing to come on here, and tell us how much actual Bible reading they do in a year's time, compared to studying the WT publications in the same year's time.  I don't mean looking up the verses contained in the book...I mean actually just reading the Bible, with no other book/magazine beside of them.

I don't think you are going to get much more Bible study with them either, Dave.  Again, not sure what the problem is with your pastor.  But I highly recommend you speak to him about this.

YOU:  "I mean, they just let us interpret it and then if we have our own interpretations to present, they just revised it a little and then nothing follows just that simple! Not seriously, or systematically done!"

REPLY:  Well Dave, one thing you DON'T have to worry about with the JWs, is them letting YOU figure out the interpretation of the verses.  I can promise you that.  The publications will definitely interpret the verses for you.  There is only one small problem with that...You will get an interpretation, but not the correct one, in many cases.  You will get THEIR current interpretation, which is subject to change at any time.  Is that what you're looking for, Dave?

Do you want it straight, Dave?  Because that is how I'm gonna give it to you.  Here goes...

Your thinking process makes you a prime target for a cult to come along and brainwash you.  You are practically begging for someone to interpret the Scriptures for you, and there are too many people and religions who are happy to do just that.  The main thing is, you need to have a saving relationship with Jesus Christ.  That is the foundation for everything else.  When you have that, you will study His Word both on your own, and in the fellowship of other Christian believers.  You will learn gradually, and it will not come overnight.  But you were never MEANT to sacrifice your thinking capacity, and just hand your mind over to someone else, and say..."Here, interpret the Bible for me".  

Because, what if they are wrong too?

Its interesting that I have a person who is a study with a JW, and who acknowledges that some things are taught by them, that are not Scriptural.  And then you are writing me, wanting someone to tell you what the Bible means, and interpret it for you.  Its fine to want to learn, Dave.  It really is.  But that is where you have to be careful, in whom you put your trust.  It is a dangerous thing in this day and time, to just hand your mind over to someone, and tell them to interpret the Bible for you.

But again, what you are saying is simply not the same experience I had with the A/G.  Yes, they DO encourage personal and private Bible study.  And they SHOULD.  You should never rely on some religious group to do all your Bible study for you.  

Your comments here are interesting, in that they are the exact opposite of what JWs CLAIM our churches actually do...Namely, they claim that our churches DON'T want us studying the Bible on our own, and don't encourage us to.  Of course, that is a lie, but your words actually show the untruth of the JW's statements.  JWs claim that the churches don't want us to study our Bibles, and now you are telling me that you are assigned Bible reading to do.  

I know in our church, every member is exhorted to read their entire Bible through, from cover to cover, each and every year.  And we have Bible study at church, as well.

YOU:  "Coz what if I don't have a SPONSOR to support my schooling ?? I'll just remain being a STAGNANT member then? Can I have your thoughts on this?"

REPLY:  Yes, you certainly may...You do NOT need Bible college, to have a knowledge of the Bible.  Take it from a guy who spent THREE YEARS in an Assemblies of God Bible college.  I have learned more of the Scriptures on MY OWN study, that I ever did at Bible college.  So, those are my thoughts on that.  I'm not a huge fan of Bible college.  Not saying there aren't SOME good ones, but most of them I could not recommend.

No, don't remain a stagnant member.  I can't understand how a relationship with the risen Christ, could become stagnant anyway.  Are you cultivating a regular prayer life, and do you read the Scriptures regularly, Dave?  I'm just trying to understand where you are coming from.  I am concerned if you have actually been born again into God's family.  I know from personal experience that there is nothing "stagnant" about a relationship with Jesus Christ, and having fellowship with Him.

I recommend you sit down and have a heart-to-heart with your pastor.  Show him this response, if you choose to.  And if you can't get what you are desiring there, maybe you need to find a church that teaches the Scriptures completely.  But a word of caution here is in order, as well....Don't get the mentality that church is like an ice cream parlor, where you get to pick the flavor you like best, and what suits you.  Find a church that preaches the Scriptures, and then back it with your attendance and your prayers.

I've been in the ministry for a long time, Dave.  And I have seen people get critical before, of their church and their pastor.  Now, SOMETIMES there is a genuine gripe that they have.  But more often than not, they are just in a back-slidden state, and because their heart isn't right with God, and because they are not enjoying regular fellowship with Him, they have gotten into a critical and negative spirit.  Basically, a "nobody is right with God but me", mentality.

Be very careful of that, and I sincerely hope that is not the case with you.  If I can help you any further, please let me know.  I assure you I am not a "charlatan"....:)

Derrick  

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland