Jehovah`s Witness/Different interpretations/ New Light - Jesus 1st resurrected?

Question
QUESTION: Hello. Things havent changed here as it seems.

Some thoughts before I ask you about Jesus' resurrection.

There are so many verses in the Bible that can allow different interpretations, so it becomes evident that Bible's aim is not to teach cosmology, theology, anthropology. I mean its not written with the aim of a human philosophical book. We dont have philosophical doctrines here, although people can create their own from their passages. The Bible is not God teaching to his creatures the mysteries of His Creation. If that was so, we wouldnt have 1000 interpretations about what happens after death, where people go, what man consists of, what was created first, which is the essence of God, what does Revelation means here etc etc.  All these are human assumptions that are not sure, because they dont rely on revelation but on human logic from testing and comparing passages or having experience from life. Sadly, there is not one interpretation possible, but many of them. So who can tell he has the right interpretation? It will be too futile and egotistic. And too comical since people may change their view due to new light.  

I DONT THINK A GOD OF LOVE WOULD PLAY GAMES WITH HIS CREATURES, SENDING A SPIRIT OF LIE TO UNDERSTAND A PASSAGE, THEN SENDING ANOTHER SPIRIT OF LIE AGAIN, TILL....SOMEDAY PEOPLE WILL ARRIVE TO THE TRUE INTERPRETATION. WHY WOULD GOD TEST PEOPLE USING THAT DISGUISTING WAY? And I think it would create arrogant guys like the Witnesses who boast about having the right interpretation, ready to kill the others who are "possessed by demons" because have a different view.

I think the only thing that is clear from the Bible is God's promise and aim for the restoration of Mankind in relationship with Him and the revelation about the fate of the world. Everything else is for dividing christians in many thousands sections, so that different companies like Watchtower, Vatican, Orthodoxy, Protestantism etc can have slave workers. Its disgusting when you see religion - one of the greatest needs of man - to be used for money and power.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Jesus' resurrection. It's logical that if the promise of the Bible is the restoration of Creation, Jesus would rise with a perfect flesh that is not subject to illness and death.

Many people had risen before Jesus, for example Lazarus, also many during the eartquake that happened in Golgotha(how stupid to say that bodies of saints came out of the graves since they would have decayed centuries ago), Moses, Elias etc.   

Did these guys rise with a perfect body? And if they were risen how is Jesus the first resurrected from the dead and the only one who has came down from the heavens where noone has arrived???

Thank you.

ANSWER: Hello, Christaras.  I hope you are doing well today.

I am not sure what has happened in your life in the last few months, but some of the things you have written here, are disturbing.  It seems that you have become frustrated with God's Word, and I truly hate to see that.

You wrote..."There are so many verses in the Bible that can allow different interpretations, so it becomes evident that Bible's aim is not to teach cosmology, theology, anthropology. I mean its not written with the aim of a human philosophical book. We dont have philosophical doctrines here, although people can create their own from their passages. The Bible is not God teaching to his creatures the mysteries of His Creation. If that was so, we wouldnt have 1000 interpretations about what happens after death, where people go, what man consists of, what was created first, which is the essence of God, what does Revelation means here etc etc.  All these are human assumptions that are not sure, because they dont rely on revelation but on human logic from testing and comparing passages or having experience from life. Sadly, there is not one interpretation possible, but many of them. So who can tell he has the right interpretation? It will be too futile and egotistic. And too comical since people may change their view due to new light."  

Christaras, I take the opposite viewpoint on this one.  I believe what you have described above, is a strong evidence FOR the truth of the Scriptures, not against it.  Let me explain something that I believe you have overlooked, namely, that the Bible teaches the existence of a powerful spirit being known as "Satan", the Devil.

I do not agree with you, that the Bible's aim is not to teach theology, etc, merely because there are so many interpretations.  The multitude of interpretations, is not due to the deficiency of the Bible, but rather, of the deficiency of man himself.  It seems people are just always wanting to impose THEIR ideas into the Bible, and make it teach what THEY want it to say.  That is wicked and sinful human nature, at its worst.  In fact, the Bible itself even teaches that this would be the actions of fallen man, so it should come as no surprise.

There are so many things in the Bible that are not open to interpretation, there is no way I could list them all.  First off, that God is the Creator of everything.  That is not subject to interpretation....Evolution has not occurred, and a direct creation by a powerful God, has.  That man is a sinner, and need a Savior, is not debatable.  That Jesus Christ died on our behalf, and rose bodily from the tomb, is not debatable or open to interpretation.  That the only hope mankind has to be saved, is through and by the shed blood of Christ, is also not open to various interpretations.  The Bible contains very clear, and concise statements, to all of these things.

Now, back to my point about Satan.  Think about it....If the Scripture is true, that there is such a being, and that his main goal is to cause man to be separated from God and ultimately be lost, then what would be the best way to go about accomplishing that?  Simple...by PERVERTING, TWISTING, and CONFUSING people as to the Word of God.  It was the very FIRST tactic he tried, in getting Eve to sin.  Remember?  He came to Eve, and QUESTIONED her about God's Word, in order to put a little seed of doubt into her mind..."Yea, hath God said?"  By placing the first seed of doubt there, he eventually convinced her that God was withholding something desirable from her.  Perhaps Satan questioned Eve's "interpretation" of what God had commanded?  Perhaps he offered his OWN interpretation?  In fact, he DID do that...."Ye shall not surely die".

Why would you think that he has changed his tactics today?  He's still doing the same thing....twisting the Word of God, in order to bring about man's destruction.

Jesus-  "Ye must be born again"
Satan-  "Being born again is a cult.  You really need to come to OUR Organization"

Jesus-  "Destroy THIS temple and I will raise IT again" "
Satan-  "The man Jesus is dead, forever dead.  It was a SPIRITUAL temple/body that He raised"

Jesus-  "A spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have"
Satan-  "Jesus was raised a mighty spirit-creature"

The Scripture-  "He is not here, for He is RISEN"</b?
Satan-  <b>"The empty tomb proves that Jehovah "dissolved" Jesus' body"

The Scripture-  "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;"
Satan-  "Jesus is Mediator only for the 144,000 "anointed" ones"

See the difference?  It is not an indictment against the Scriptures, that there are so many interpretations.  Nor does it mean the Scripture isn't clear.  It means there is a deceiver, who uses man's natural sinful inclination to rebel against God, in order to deceive man from finding the Savior....even by twisting the very Word of God to do it!

Christaras, you asked..."So who can tell he has the right interpretation?"

Simple...Don't "interpret" it....Just READ, and BELIEVE it!  "Interpretation" is the entire problem...Who are WE to presume such a task?  Unless the "interpretation" is right there in the context, we are simply to accept it as God's holy and inspired Word, and listen to it.  We should just concentrate on reading it, and believing what it says...not trying to "interpret" it into what we want it to say.

The "divisions" you mention, Sir, are not because the Bible has a problem...They are because MAN has a sin problem.  And by the way, the Scriptures itself predicted such divisions and heresies, and we are told to simply test everything by the Word.  Not by an Organization, not by what someone tells us, or even by our own thoughts...but by the Scriptures themselves.

Now, you asked..."Many people had risen before Jesus, for example Lazarus, also many during the eartquake that happened in Golgotha(how stupid to say that bodies of saints came out of the graves since they would have decayed centuries ago), Moses, Elias etc.   

Well, first thing, I would be VERY careful about calling a passage in the Bible, "stupid", merely because you don't happen to understand it.  

Matthew 27:52-53-  And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many."

Now, your accusation of "stupid", ASSUMES some things that the text does not say.  Where you get that Moses and Elias were there, is a mystery.  First off, there is NO way Elijah was there, because of 2 Kings 2:1-11.  And you ASSUME about Moses, but again, your assumption is incorrect.  The Bible does not say that Moses raised...It says "MANY" bodies of the saints.  In other words, it was not ALL of them, but some of the ones who were in and around Jerusalem.  We are not told who they are, or how many....just that there were "many".  

Did they rise with a perfect body?  That would seem to be the best view, although we are given almost no details, except for what is written here.  It certainly does NOT mean what I heard a JW say on here a few years back, that this simply means that an earthquake caused the graves to break open, and the DEAD bodies were laying everywhere around Jerusalem!  

Also, you seem to mention that it says they arose AFTER the resurrection of Christ, not before.  Sometimes just reading something carefully, will help clear up any potential difficulty.

Hope this has helped.  Take care.

Derrick

QUESTION: Hello.

I dont understand what you mean with the word "theology". I didnt question God being the Creator or Satan being a real being. By "theology" I mean details on the essence of God. Does it say what God consists of? By "anthropology" I mean the essence of man. Does the Bible teaches what man constists of? It only contains views of people. By "cosmology" I mean details of the creation.

I dont think the Bible is a philosophical book. If that was the case you would have a chapter dedicated to the essence of man(for example). Man is this, man is that. Man is only flesh. Man is only soul. Man is flesh+ spirit force. Man is flesh+soul. Man is flesh+soul+spirit. There is NOT a direct statement from God about this. There are only hundreds of human interpretations that rely on verses.

What has made me tired and disappointed the last months is the egotism of religious groups that their views are right and whoever does not believe them he is lost. Isnt it stupid to say you are a demon if you dont believe the Sun was created on the 1st day?

The stupid thing was not the verse of the Bible. I thought you would understand that I imply the stupid thing is the JW interpretation. Dead boing laying everywhere around Jerusalem. This idea is stupid because there would be no bodies left, only skulls and bones. Its clearly an appearance of saints.

Now, I completely dont understand what you believe about Moses and Elijah. Werent these the true Moses and Elijah? Were they an apparition, a trick of Jesus to his disciples?

And what about the resurrection? How is Jesus the first risen from the dead, if so many had risen before, including the saints during the earthquake? Didnt these have a literal flesh?

Thank you.

Answer
Hello, Christaras.  First off, if I misunderstood the nature of your questions, then my apologies.  It sounded to me like you were becoming a skeptic of God's Word, but thankfully, I appear to be mistaken on that.  And I do see where I possibly misunderstood your comment, regarding the saints whose bodies arose from the tombs.  It first appeared to me that you were saying the Biblical teaching was "stupid", but now I realize you were referring to the JW interpretation, that this means that the earthquake caused the DEAD bodies to be lying all over the street.  I agree with you....that notion is stupid.

As for the word "theology", most people understand this word to pertain to Biblical teaching in general.  I would maintain that the Scriptures ARE clear in this regard, at least as to the resurrected body of Christ.  As for the Father, we know He is "spirit", as is the Holy Spirit.  As for what man consists of, I believe the Bible is clear that he is body, soul, and spirit.  JWs love to single out Genesis 2:7 to prove that man does not "have a soul", but that man "is a soul".  Unfortunately, the verse says NOTHING about what man "doesn't have"...it simply tells what he is.  It is not at all uncommon, to use a part to describe the whole.  A man may say that he just bought "some wheels"...Obviously referring to not just the wheels, but the entire car.  A hiker may say that he "climbed the peak", but the peak is only PART of the mountain.  But he is using the part, to describe the whole.  A lady might buy a "pair of heels", but she is obviously referring to the entire parts of the shoes.

The way to arrive at Biblical truth, is not to single out one or two verses, but to take ALL the verses on a topic.  Yes, sometimes man is called a "soul".  Man is also said to HAVE a soul (Gen. 35:18, Luke 12:4-5).  Sometimes man is called "flesh", but flesh is only a PART of man.  It is irresponsible for them to isolate one or two Scriptures, and pretend that is the entire truth of the matter.

Basically, they use the Scriptures CALLING man a "soul", but completely ignore the ones that teach that man HAS a soul.  And that simply is not how you arrive at Bible truth.

And again, I hold that the best approach to the Scriptures is to FORGET ALL "interpretations", and just READ it, and accept it.  Like man is smart enough to figure it out on his own, anyway.

My position on Moses and Elijah.  First off, Elijah was clearly taken into heaven, by a miraculous act of God.  This has only happened twice in Biblical history, and the other case, was Enoch.  These 2 men did not die, but were miraculously removed from the earth.  Moses' body was hidden and buried by God (Deut. 34;6, Jude 9), and it is POSSIBLE that he was later resurrected and taken to Heaven, but we cannot be sure.

Yes, it DEFINITELY WAS the "true Moses and Elijah" appearing with Christ, on the Mount of Transfiguration.  Elijah had been taken bodily into heaven, and Moses could've either been resurrected to Heaven prior to this, or was appearing in spirit.  But it was definitely not a "trick" of Jesus...it was quite real.

Either way, its awfully hard on the doctrine of "soul-sleep", wouldn't you agree?

And you asked this..."How is Jesus the first risen from the dead, if so many had risen before, including the saints during the earthquake? Didnt these have a literal flesh? "

Again, the saints did NOT rise before Jesus did.  The Scripture in Matthew 27:52-53, clearly says they arose and came out AFTER the resurrection of Christ, not before.  Also, Christ's resurrection was unique, in that He was the first resurrected to never die again.  Moses and Elijah will come back to earth during the Tribulation (Rev. 11) and be slain.  

And yes, of course those resurrected had "literal flesh"....there is NO SUCH THING as a resurrection without literal flesh, no matter how much DW the clown wants there to be one.  The Scripture nowhere teaches such as notion.

All others who were resurrected, died again.  Lazarus, Jairus' daughter, Eutychus, etc.

Hope this helps.  Take care.

Derrick  

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland