Jehovah`s Witness/JW Membership

QUESTION: "Sister T",

I'd like to know the steps or procedures for becoming a baptized JW.  Is an invitation to come forward and accept Jesus Christ as Savior given as a matter of routine in weekly gatherings?

What happens after that?  How long is it before someone is baptized?  How often do you have baptismal services?  Or they sprinkled or immersed?

No right or wrong answers.  Would just like to know.

ANSWER: Hello Jay,

The steps leading to baptism starts with a person taking in knowledge of God and his son Jesus, one must have faith, one needs to repent of any wrong doing and stop doing it, then conversion, and dedicating oneself to God in private first and then in public by complete water immersion. (John 17:3; Acts 3:19; 18:8; Matt 3:16).

In making a dedication to Jehovah one must disown themselves, even as people disowned themselves to follow Jesus.  Mark 8:34.

When one is baptized this symbolizes dying to one's former way of life and becoming alive to do God's will. 1 Peter 4:2

When one starts to take in knowledge by studying the Bible with a JW (1 Cor 1:10)they will learn basic Bible truths that will help them understand from the Bible, what our purpose in life is, why we suffer grow old and die, who God really is and that he has a name, Who Jesus really is and what he did for us so that we may live.

Studying what the Bible really teaches helps people to learn to truly love Jehovah (Matt 22:37,38) instead of being taught that when our loved ones die, it's God's will, that God has taken them or that God needed another angel, or that he makes deals with the devil by sending them to be tortured in hellfire forever, or that people have immortal souls.  

How can one truly learn to love a God who is portrayed as cruel and unjust and hateful.

At meetings there is no call to come forward to accept Jesus like they do in Church and in some instances on the street.  One has to accept Jesus in their heart, no preacher or person can give you that, it's from within, and that happens by taking in accurate knowledge, not to mention one has to be drawn by God himself! (John 6:44).  Just because one studies does not mean Jehovah will draw that person.  God reads hearts and searches them, if he does not draw a person, then they will not understand nor get the sense of what they are being shown from the Bible.(1 Chronicles 28:9; Ps. 138:6; Ps. 139:23,24; Daniel 12:10; Matt 13:10-15)

During the learning process of studying the Bible one learns that Jesus is our lord and savior and how important his dying for us is.  They learn how precious life is and not to take it for granted, and how much Jehovah loved us by sending his son to die for us. (John 3:16; Rom 5:8)  They learn that Jesus is King of God's Kingdom and the only hope for mankind's salvation. (Dan 2:44) They learn the importance of having faith in Jehovah and the ransom sacrifice of his beloved son Jesus Christ.  The sacredness of blood in which Jesus poured out in our behalf is precious, by means of this blood we can have everlasting life. (Rom 6:23) If we truly have faith in that sacrifice we will also view blood as sacred and precious as Jehovah does, (1 Peter 1:19) and look to the outpouring of Jesus' blood as our means for salvation rather than some human's blood to save our lives. (Luke 9:24; John 12:25; Rev 12:11)  We have complete faith that the blood Jesus shed is all the blood we need, no one elses.  As God's promises are real to those who remain faithful even until death. (1 Peter 3:18; Heb 12:2)

Along with having faith one needs to repent of any wrong doings or lifestyles that go contrary to what the Bible says. (John 3:36; Rom. 5:8; 6:23) And stop doing them,(Rom 12:2; 1 Cor 6:9, 10) because as we learn to love Jehovah we will not desire to do anything that would displease him. (1 John 5:3)

Drawing close to God as you take in knowledge moves you to want to worship only Jehovah because you love him with all your heart and you want to become his servant forever, so one would need to resign from other religions and make the truth their own. (Prov 3:1,2; Ps. 26:3; Prov. 8:35; 15:31; John 8:31,32; Luke 9:62; 1 Cor 15:58)

If one is living morally clean they can qualify to become an unbaptized publisher and share in the ministry. (Matt 24:14)

Once a person is living a moral life then one can go to God in a private prayer and dedicate themselves to him.  We pray to Jehovah through Jesus or in Jesus' name. (John 14:6,13,14; 16:24)  For it not for Jesus we could not even approach God in prayer to be heard.  And after making it known that this is what you want to do, you go over Bible truths as your getting baptized means you can now teach others.  So you have to believe and know yourself before you can teach others.  If you do not then one should not get baptized as it's a very serious vow to God.  

How long is it before someone is baptized?  It depends on the person and how they progress.  It's no set time, it could be 6 months more or less.  It depends on the individual.  I know some who were baptized after 4 months and I also know some who were baptized after many years. It depends because your baptism is a promise that you are making to God, it's between you and God.  Having a personal relationship with God is very important.  Prayer is essential.  

Baptismal services are done at Conventions or Assemblies of Jehovah's Witnesses, each congregation has a convention or Assembly 3 times a year, and they are immersed in water completely like Jesus was (Matt 3:16), if they qualify.  (Mal 3:18)

It doesn't end there, once baptized we continue to speak the pure language (Zeph. 3:9) about Jehovah and his son Jesus and the Kingdom to others as Jesus said and did.  (Matt 28:19)

We strive to follow Jesus our Master/Leader's example as footstep followers (1 Peter 2:21). We are not left to ourselves, no Jehovah gives holy spirit to those asking,(Luke 11:13) and as our Father he guides us and helps us along the way! (Isaiah 41:10-13)

Hope that helps

Sister T

QUESTION: 'Sister T',

That seems like a very long, regimented process.  I may have other questions as I take more time to read your answer.

So I thank you for your informative reply.

Hello Jay,

The first part I wrote is basically the complete answer.  But then I went on to break down each part separately along with scriptures.  

A person starts studying with JW's, they learn and apply what they are learning in their lives, they attend meetings on a regular basis.  They put on a new personality conformed with Bible standards.  They make request about baptism to their study conductor. Then they talk with the Elders of the congregation to see if they qualify to be an unbaptized publisher, that comes first.  If they have brought their lives in harmony with God's word the Bible they can now go out in the ministry as an unbaptized publisher.

After that they can ask to be baptized, they need to go over a series of questions to see if they believe and know what the Bible teaches, have repented of their wrong doings and have stop doing them, and have dedicated themselves to Jehovah in prayer.

Then when the next convention or assembly comes around they can be baptized as one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

That's the process in short.

Sorry for the length.

Sister T

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T

Please click here--> For your Free Home Bible Study

I can answer questions related to Jehovah's Witnesses and the Bible. I love learning the truth from the Bible and helping others to learn that truth as well. I don't know everything but will answer from the Bible, I like to use illustrations as well to help a person relate to what is being said. The Bible has the last say so over any person.

I am an active baptized Jehovah's Witness and Jehovah is Almighty God,(Ps. 83:18) and his Son Jesus Christ died so that everyone exercising faith in him may not be destroyed but have everlasting life. (John 3:16). I support my fellow Witnesses on this board who are real, and Jehovah's worldwide visible organization, including the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. As God is not a God of disorder, and there could not be order if there were not ones to take the lead. Taking the lead and having a leader is not the same, our leader is Jesus Christ, and in order to have unity and order, there has to be arrangements in place. As the first century Christians had, there were men taking the lead, (Acts 6:1-6) as with Moses, (Exodus 18:21) and in our day, in following with Bible truths, we do the same. When people twist that around to us worshiping men, it is just a straight out lie! Why would the Scripture at 1 Tim. 3:1-10, 12, 13 give the criteria for men reaching out for an office of overseer if that was not meant to be? (Phil 1:1, Acts 20:17, 28, Eph. 4:11, 12, 2 Cor. 3:4-6). If we were not supposed to have men who take the lead, why was this scripture penned? James 5:14-15 "Is there anyone sick among YOU? Let him call the older men of the congregation to [him], and let them pray over him, greasing [him] with oil in the name of Jehovah. 15 And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him."

If you have legit questions and want to know the truth, please ask, but if you are here to spread your lies and twists of the scriptures or get your falsehoods out, you may get rejected! The truth is from the Bible, if what you say does not harmonize with the Bible then what you say is wrong! Context and other scriptures help determine scriptures that may stump us, let scripture interpret scripture. The Bible does not contradict itself, so if what you are being taught or if what you are teaching makes it seem like the Bible is contradictory, remember it's not the Bible it's the man-made teaching! Doctrines of men! Mark 7:6, 7 "He said to them: “Isaiah aptly prophesied about YOU hypocrites, as it is written, ‘This people honor me with [their] lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 7 It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach as doctrines commands of men." (also Romans 10:2, 3)

Matthew 24:14 says "And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." We are doing that today, we are living in times of Bible Prophecy and as a Jehovah's Witness, we have the privilege to be apart of a prophecy spoken by Jesus himself! The good news of the Kingdom. Ask yourself, what kingdom? then read Daniel 2:44! It's a real government. Take heed now! Listening to men over God will mean your life.(Prov 3:5,6, Ps. 146:3) A lie will never become truth, No matter how long or how many people say it or speak it. Learn what the Bible really teaches, seek out Jehovah's ways, serving God in truth is only acceptable to him,(John 4:23, 24) you can not be serving God acceptably if what you believe is a lie! Pray for understanding and ask Jehovah to search your heart and draw you! (John 6:44, 65) Now is the time to be with the people who are called by Jehovah's name! (Acts 15:14, 17, Isa. 43:7, 10, Zech 8:23)