Jehovah`s Witness/Disturbing Patterns

Hello Mr. Hepburn, I pose my question to you, because among the Witnesses on this forum you seem to be one of the few that appears to be "normal". I guess that is my question, Why do so many of the Jehovah Witnesses on this forum respond with such vile and mean spirited answers to a question they do not like? I see it over and over. Their answers show them to be paranoid and desperate. Why? One would think they would be confident and poised with their knowledge, yet I see the opposite in many of the answers given. I have to say they do themselves a great disservice. With all due respect, a few of them seem really mentally unstable. Just wondering if you have noticed this, and what are your thoughts on the image they are projecting for Jehovah Witnesses. Thank you.

Hello Richard,

Thank you for your question, and I  really do appreciate that some readers feel I  ..“seem to be one of the few that appears to be "normal" “...  Now,  to be truly honest, unfortunately this is not a question I have wanted to receive.   I have re written this reply or parts of it several times. Yes I have noticed  the things mention from many different people.  All I can simply say is I can not explain the behavior of others  I do not want to be seen as taking sides with personalities. Personally, I do not like looking at individuals and finding fault, no matter what their belief system is.  Even though I try very hard to follow the council at Colossians 4:6  I know I sometimes fail.  - - “Let YOUR utterance be always with graciousness, seasoned with salt, so as to know how YOU ought to give an answer to each one.” - -  Well that is what I endeavor to do. I know, that on at least one occasion,  in the 10 years I have been here, someone has complained to a non JW about me He said to the non JW

Every time questions are put forward to him by me he accuses me of having an agenda and with my last post re the anointed and the memorial he never answered !

From the beginning as I started to get him to answer I was not clear enough or I have an agenda or I am setting a trap

Either he cannot answer real questions put to him or he is throwing a front though he speak a lot more decent than ???? and ???? he do show another side when real questions come up

end quote (I removed the names)

I had had problems understanding where he was going with his questions and I had assumed he was trying to trip  me up so I become somewhat evasive in my answers.  To the best of my knowledge, that is the worst that has been said about me except some complain my answers are too long or I over simply them. (I apologies for the length of this answer)

So I try very hard to keep Colossians 4:6 in mind and not cause waves. I do not want to cause waves now, either, by publicly voicing my opinions on a particular individual(s) conduct, -  no matter if they are  - JWs, or, non JWs - on this forum.   What I will say is, that, at times I have been saddened, and embarrassed, about being associated with this forum by the conduct of both JWs and non JWs.

I do not want to - defend, or,  offend - anyone here, nor do I want to take sides, so, I hope I am following the above advice that I keep telling my self when I present an overview of some scriptural principles that perhaps apply to ALL concerned (as I assume my replies are read by most that post here).  This is in  a partial quote of something I had written to some one else very recently in regard to other matters, but, I see the principles as being very valid

Please note I am not trying to make excesses for anyone's behavior at all. These are just some Bible principles that ALL here  who claim to be Christian  (including me) would do well to try to follow.

….They were hearers of the word of God but not doers as James tells us in James 1:22-26 “However, become doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves with false reasoning. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word, and not a doer, this one is like a man looking at his natural face in a mirror. 24 For he looks at himself, and off he goes and immediately forgets what sort of man he is. 25 But he who peers into the perfect law that belongs to freedom and who persists in [it], this [man], because he has become, not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, will be happy in his doing [it]. 26 If any man seems to himself to be a formal worshiper and yet does not bridle his tongue, but goes on deceiving his own heart, this man’s form of worship is futile.”

When people decide to become a follower of Jesus there is not a miraculous transformation of ones personalities. It is by listening and applying what one hears that that transforms us.

Ephesians 4:20-24 20 But YOU did not learn the Christ to be so, 21 provided, indeed, that YOU heard him and were taught by means of him, just as truth is in Jesus, 22 that YOU should put away the old personality which conforms to YOUR former course of conduct and which is being corrupted according to his deceptive desires; 23 but that YOU should be made new in the force actuating YOUR mind, 24 and should put on the new personality which was created according to God’s will in true righteousness and loyalty.”

Colossians 3:5-10 “ 5 Deaden, therefore, YOUR body members that are upon the earth as respects fornication, uncleanness, sexual appetite, hurtful desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. 6 On account of those things the wrath of God is coming. 7 In those very things YOU, too, once walked when YOU used to live in them. 8 But now really put them all away from YOU, wrath, anger, badness, abusive speech, and obscene talk out of YOUR mouth. 9 Do not be lying to one another. Strip off the old personality with its practices, 10 and clothe yourselves with the new [personality] , which through accurate knowledge is being made new according to the image of the One who created it,”

Just because one is in an approved standing with God does not mean that it is an easy matter to maintain. The apostle Paul showed how difficult a thing  that  is to do  1 Corinthians 9:27 “but I pummel my body and lead it as a slave, that, after I have preached to others, I myself should not become disapproved somehow.”

Paul also said Romans 7:21 “I find, then, this law in my case: that when I wish to do what is right, what is bad is present with me”

I try to remember Peter.  He was adamant that he would never forsake Jesus and bragged about it Matthew 26:34-35 “34 Jesus said to him: “Truly I say to you, On this night, before a cock crows, you will disown me three times.” 35 Peter said to him: “Even if I should have to die with you, I will by no means disown you.”

We know what happened  Matthew 26:74, 75 ” 74 Then he started to curse and swear: “I do not know the man!” And immediately a cock crowed. 75 And Peter called to mind the saying Jesus spoke, namely: “Before a cock crows, you will disown me three times.” And he went outside and wept bitterly.”

Peter was aware of his short comings.  Some people just are not .  …..

At times even among the apostles of Jesus there was contention (Luke 22:24 “However, there also arose a heated dispute among them over which one of them seemed to be greatest.”

King David tool another mans wife as his own then conspired to murder.  Both punishable by death under the Mosaic law.  God, the reader of hearts, let David live because of his repentance.  The point there is that King David was in a very high position of responsibility, made major mistakes.  

We are all imperfect and we must expect all humans at this time to make mistakes.  True some should know better. The case of David and Peter show us that even those that  

end quote

Every one here (JWs and non JWs) who claim to be Christian and  have been involved in ”vile and mean spirited ”  discussions “do themselves a great disservice .”  I wish it would stop.

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn

I AM one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and I am always learning. I am NOT an expert in the full sense of the word but I can answer questions on the reliability of the NWT - the so called mind control problems-so called prophecies - how being a JW affects the individual and relatives and general practices and history of Jehovah’s Witnesses. >>WARNING<< Please be aware that there are people here who ARE NOT practicing JWs. By all means ask these ones questions. Depending on the question you will get an honest answer, but, generally the answer you get, will mislead you as to what we believe, often because, they do not give ALL the relevant details. These ones will, have an agenda against JWs., and will at times give answers that are not correct in regard to JW teachings and practices. If you are after a answer from one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, please read some of the answers that the various experts have published before choosing someone. If you want to ask one of the NON JWs a question, that is fine, BUT if you want a balancing view after asking one of the NON JWs, ask a JW the same question. PLEASE ALSO NOTE: There(have been)and are, some "experts" here who are NOT always the most courteous and polite, at times are actually quite rude, that applies to both JW's and non JW's and their answers may offend, especially when they get personal and attack the character of the person and not the message. Unfortunately some here that have done that. So it IS IMPORTANT to chose an "expert" that YOU feel will best suit YOU by reading some of their past answers . . . . .

I have been a publisher since 1964. When I first went on the internet I found a lot of negative information dealing with Jehovah’s Witnesses covering prophecy, mind control and what many said was a very bad translation of the Bible known as the NWT. It shook my faith. After may hours researching these topics I could see why some felt that way, but, I was also able to explain why there were these misleading views. I can now set matters straight for anyone that has negative information about Jehovah’s Witness to show them that such information is at best misleading and at worst dangerous lies.

I have been a student of the Bible for many years, am trying to teach myself Biblical Greek. Was a public tax accountant for many years untill SEP 2009 when I gave it up due to health problems.