Jehovah`s Witness/Revelation 6:6 - olive oil and wine

Question
QUESTION: And I
heard a voice as if in the midst
of the four living creatures say:
“A quart of wheat for a de·nar-
i·us,t and three quarts of barley
for a de·nari·us; and do not harm
the olive oil and the wine.”

If iv'e understood correctly, food will be very expensive as i've already witnessed a single banana or muffin cost a dollar (plus tax) in some places and at most grocery stores a small sandwich is 3.99 to 7.99 when a realistic price should be 1 to 2 dollars for a decent size sandwich. If i recall correctly, 2008 was the year known as 'the end of low food prices'.

My question is, why did the voice as if in the midst of the four living creatures say not to harm the olive oil and the wine?

thank you for your response Robert. i hope im not asking you too many questions.

ANSWER: That is a good question. Jehovah's Witnesses, of course, believe that the four horsemen of the Apocalypse came on the scene in 1914. And the Watchtower could point to various famines and periodic food shortages that have afflicted developing nations up to the present moment.

And you are correct, in that, since the near collapse of the financial system back in 2008, due to the injection of massive amounts of money into the system food prices have doubled and tripled. In the United States over 40 million people receive what are called "food stamps," which can be used like money to purchase food from most stores. It is the modern version of soup kitchens and bread lines that were set up during the Great Depression to prevent widespread starvation.

Nevertheless, there is reason to question the authenticity of the Watchtower's claim that the Apocalypse began in 1914. I have written a fair bit on The Watchman's Post examining in depth the Watchtower's reasoning and have concluded that the seals of the symbolic scroll of Revelation have not been unsealed yet. Consider, for example, that the rider of the black horse is carrying a pair of scales, indicating food rationing. That is something far beyond mere price inflation. Food rationing is something that only occurs during wartime. And it is not something in evidence now, at least not in the so-called developed world.

All that can change very quickly though. Something most people are not aware of is the fact that great food producing nations like the USA are no longer allowed to have more than a few weeks of grain in reserve. Because of World Trade Organization rules it is considered bad for the market place to have massive grain reserves, as has been the case for decades. So, in the event of a massive drought or insect devastation or war, coupled with the inevitable blow-out of the financial system, food could indeed become rationed, as is envisioned in Revelation.

As regards the olive oil and wine, the Watchtower points out that such commodities were not luxuries in Bible times, but were staples. But I don't know. We'll have to wait and see. As it stands presently there is a move afoot among the oligarchs who run the world to seize control of all food production and distribution, so that when the financial system collapses they will be in total control so as to determine who can buy or sell and who will eat or starve. And no doubt they will feed themselves first and foremost with the best - the olive oil and the wine.

QUESTION: Well if olive oil and wine are not luxuries, why is it that people actually buy them as such today? Also, if they are not a luxury then they certainly are a expensive normal everyday item, which they are not a normal everyday item. Have you ever bought olive oil! Its freakin expensive! Wine on the other hand, i can find cheep half the time but again its bought as a luxury today and the prophecies point to our day in time. What do you think?

Answer
According to the Watchtower's commentary in the Revelation Grand Climax wine and olive oil were not luxuries back when the book of Revelation was written. At any rate, no matter how expensive food items are now we have not seen anything yet.

Here is a link to an article on the topic of the prophecy of Joel and the implications for its fulfillment in the future The Day of Jehovah Is Near

Jehovah`s Witness

Robert King