Jehovah`s Witness/Christmas/ Was it God who sent the 'star'?

Question
The story in the Bible where the three kings, or wise men, visiting the newborn baby Jesus as he is laying in the manger, did God used a star to lead them to the stable in Bethlehem. Countless children have even memorized the names of those three kings—Melchior, Caspar, and Baltazar. However, does that popular account match what the Bible really says or teaches? Is that story inaccurate?

First, who were those men?

Answer
Hi Reg,

Thank you for your question. The only king in the story is King Harod. The 3 wise men were actually astrologers.

The “wise men” were not what we would today call academics; neither were they kings. They were, as most modern English translations read, “astrologers.” They engaged in a practice condemned in the Holy Scriptures. (Deuteronomy 18:10-12) Note that only these astrologers were reported to have “seen” the star. If the star had been an actual star, it would have been as visible as a beacon to the public in general. But even King Herod had to ask them about the details of its appearance. This star guided the astrologers first to Jerusalem, to Herod, a mortal enemy of the future Messiah. He intended to kill the child Jesus. Then the star shifted direction and led the astrologers south to Bethlehem where Jesus was, thus placing Jesus’ life in danger.

These facts give evidence that the star was from an evil source, most likely Satan the Devil. The Bible describes him as using “lying signs and portents.” (2 Thessalonians 2:9)

I hope this helps.

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102009446?q=christmas+star&p=par

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister Pam B