Jehovah`s Witness/Disagreement

Question
Hello I need some help you see my son got in some trouble a few years back and had to spend time in a Hospital that helps sexual offenders. he was 14 when it happened. it happened with his cousin and he also was to have done something to my wife's dog his step mom. well four years later he is in college now and doing good. but my wife and I have different views about him staying at are house because of what he done. I think everyone deserves a chance and I want him to come stay when he doesn't have school but my wife can't stand the thought of him staying at are house. she is a wonderful wife and she is a Jehovah’s Witnesses. so what I'm trying to say is should she forgive him. or keep him away from are house. I really need some HELP or what would you do in my situation ?

Answer
Hi Paul,

This sounds like a very stressful situation. I could not even imagine what I would do in this situation. I understand where your wife is coming from. I also understand what you are stating about being forgiving. The article entitled "How to Forgive" in the September 2013 Awake!magazine on pages 10-11 states:

"Forgiveness does not always require that you forget what happened or minimize the wrong. Sometimes it means that you simply need to let go of a matter, for your own well-being and that of your marriage... A spirit of forgiveness ... helps you to create an environment that keeps resentment in check and allows love to grow.—Bible principle: Colossians 3:13...  It is easier to be forgiving when you accept [the person] for who he or she is, flaws and all... Remember, no one is perfect—including you.—Bible principle: James 3:2."

If you visit JW.org you will find that there is a whole section on family. Maybe reviewing some of this information along with prayer you two can come to an agreement regarding your son. I hope this helps.

With Warm Regards,

Pam B

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister Pam B