Jehovah`s Witness/Why pretend?

the one who knows all wrote at 2013-12-20 04:13:37
Hi Derrick  first I want to say I  fully agree with you about the person that calls himself Bro. Rando it seems he is need of some sort of help.    I know some JWS here think he is OK but I  am sure other  JWS here would see him as an embarrassment.  He is not a good example of Christian conduct and he should not be on a public forum representing us.     I also agree that a tree can have many uses as you nicely point out.  The problem with the use of the  Christmas tree is its connection to pagan ideas and then trying to connect it with a Christian idea for which there is no connection possible

Now I have to comment on  some of the things you said.  We know  “that a tree is not evil in and of itself”.  I know of no reasonable JW that would ever think that way.   No JW I have ever known has ever thought that “having any type of greenery in your home is such a wicked "sin" “.  That Derrick was a ridiculous argument

Regardless of what Bro. Rando says and does he does have a valid point in that Christmas is a lie. It is such a shame his unchristian conduct here overshadows the sometimes truths he shares.

The problem is mixing pagan ideas with pure Christian teachings and that is the history of Christmas.  Long before Christianity pagans used branches of trees to decorate their homes during the winter solstice, as it made them think of the spring to come. The Romans used Fir Trees to decorate their temples at the festival of Saturnalia.  Both those festivals are the start of the Christmas traditions.  Other pagan ideas were added as time went on.  It was an attempt to make the unpopular Christian way of life more appealing to the pagans so that they could convert them.  Just as the Catholic Religion has done in many lands over the past centuries by allowing the customs of the people be incorporated in to the Catholic form of Christianity in order to convert the people.  It is BECAUSE  of the use of pagan rituals  in what many so called Christians see as a time of “worship”,  that make it wrong.  The Almighty does not approve introducing any pagan forms of worship with the worship he finds acceptable.  Just because a pagan practice has crept into what some see as a Christian way of life, and been used for many centuries  does not make it  acceptable to our God.  It can no  be justified.  People do not bow and worship the Christmas tree.  I doubt if the pagans ever bowed to worship the tree in their festivals. It is just a decoration after all. But it is of  pagan  origin, and that makes it  unclean in the eyes of God. It is a part of Satan’s world.

(Isaiah 52:11) . . .Turn away, turn away, get out of there, touch nothing unclean; get out from the midst of her, keep yourselves clean. . .        (1 John 5:19) . . .We know we originate with God, but the whole world is lying in the [power of the] wicked one. . .         (John 15:19) . . .Now because YOU are no part of the world, but I have chosen YOU out of the world. . .         (Revelation 18:4) . . .: “Get out of her, my people, if YOU do not want to share with her in her sins, and if YOU do not want to receive part of her plagues. . .

Jesus was born at the end of September beginning of October.  The wise men did not show up on the night of his birth but more than a eight days later.  History testifies that  Dec 25  was from various pagan religions celebrations adopted by  wayward Christian Communities. The first known recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336 AD, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine.  A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on the 25th December.  

There is nothing about Christmas that is correct.  It is all a lie.  

Derrick wrote at 2013-12-21 15:05:31
Thank you for your comments. For a JW, you are generally pretty fair in your assessments. While I disagree with you in your comments about the Christmas tree, which I found somewhat contradictory, I appreciate your honesty in "calling a spade a spade", when it comes to your fellow JW, Rando. Personally, I think you should address him in a loving way, as a a fellow bother, possibly appealing to him to stop being such an embarrassment to your religion.

One more thing....I assure you that I am we'll aware that JWs do not view trees as inherently evil. I have gone on enough drives through the mountains, and enough camping trips with my JW mom's family, to know that JWs don't hate trees. I was speaking specifically to Christmas trees not being inherently evil, but by leaving out the clarifying word "Christmas", I left it wide open, and I can see where the misunderstanding occured. I have revised that statement to now read "Christmas trees", so that it will reflect what I ws trying to say.

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland

I was raised in the religion known as Jehovah`s Witnesses for 13 years. Since becoming a born-again Christian, I have researched extensively this religion, especially their doctrines and their history. I can answer questions about their doctrines from the perspective of Biblical Christianity. To be clear: Jehovahs Witnesses is the religion of my upbringing, though I myself was never baptized into the religion, nor have I ever been considered as a Jehovahs Witness.

29 years of Biblical research into the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith, and how they differ from the teachings of the Watchtower.

I would advise each questioner to this forum, to carefully READ the profiles of the various volunteers. There are several such as myself, who are not practicing JWs, but will provide you with an accurate and honest answer, regarding JW teaching. If we don't know the answer, we will try to research and get it for you. There are also some excellent practicing JWs here, who also endeavor to give you a factual and honest answer, based on their point of view. I believe by getting both points of view, the questioner can weigh the evidence for themselves, and make an informed decision. Unfortunately, there are also 3 here who claim to be JWs, but do NOT give honest, or well-researched answers. They will tell you only what they want you to believe, and they often hide facts about the history of their religion, as well as print untruths about other people's beliefs. This is done in an attempt to deceive the unsuspecting reader. It can be easily seen who these 3 are, simply by reading the public posts and "answers" which they write. Their posts will normally be filled with personal attacks, and if you question them about some teaching or aspect of the Watchtower that makes them uncomfortable, they will often reject your question, question your motives for asking it, tell you that you have been reading "apostate" sites, or turn the conversation into an attack on another expert. These ones are better avoided, as there is nothing to be gained by way of positive discussion, as they are not interested in intelligent conversation, or honest dialogue. If after reading the forum, you still have any questions as to who they are, just ask me, and I will be happy to tell you. And I can also provide documentation of their willful dishonesty. One thing is for a forum where people from both sides claim to be "Christians", there should never be any willful lying. Such ones only create a distraction in the forum, and provide nothing of any real value.

High School, some college. Studies of God's Word, the Bible, and how it compares to JW theology. I have found my own personal study and experiences to be far more valuable than any formal education or training. The Bible message is clear...Salvation is ONLY through and by the shed blood of Jesus Christ, and no religious organization has a thing to do with it. While attendance at a Bible-preaching, Bible-believing church is a must for spiritual growth and fellowship, no church can grant salvation to its members. Nor is joining a particular group a prerequisite for being saved.