Jehovah`s Witness/Why God created the universe we know?

Question
Hello. Merry Christmas.

I'll explain why this question bothered me.

According to christian view, God is all powerful. He doesnt need anything. According to some other views, the True Being(I AM in Christianity) is full, perfect, eternally immovable, steady, in perfect peace, having no good or bad feelings - not loving or hating, not having the need to do anything.

Some propose other scenarios, that God fell from perfection(without giving any explanation for this) and decided he needed this world and man, or that this world is not created by God but by a lesser demon(gnostics).

Some christian answers on this subject did not satisfy me. I read that God created the world because he wanted the beings to glorify Him, praise Him, work for Him(!). This is not a sign of an all powerful God. Others said that God created the world for his pleasure. But when you want to have pleasure with something, you ask that something. Others, that God is love. But when you love something, you need it, dont you? And people didnt exist when God decided to create the world. So how can you love someone, who does not exist?

The only logical answer I found was from a Hinduist that believes in a personal God(not pantheist). He said that God has never stopped creating through Eternity. Its his sport, its in his nature. This was far better than the "praise me" scenario.

Have you ever wondered about this subject? Do you have a better explanation?

Also, did he make this world from Jesus Christ or man?

Thank you.

Answer
Hello Christaras, and I hope you had a Merry Christmas, as well.

I think we all have questions about why certain things are the way they are, but I do not think that God is obligated to provide explanations for Himself beyond what He has, either, in order for us to serve and trust Him.  If I knew or understood everything about Him, then would He still be God, and me the creation?  If I could wrap my mind around Him completely, I mean?

YOU:  "According to christian view, God is all powerful. He doesnt need anything. According to some other views, the True Being(I AM in Christianity) is full, perfect, eternally immovable, steady, in perfect peace, having no good or bad feelings - not loving or hating, not having the need to do anything."

There is a really fine line here, between "needing" and "desiring".  It is true that God is all powerful, and doesn't NEED us, in order to be God and all powerful.  I read years ago, a saying that I have never forgotten...

"God without man is still God, but man without God is nothing"

So as far as "need" goes, it is we who need Him, and not the other way around.  He was God before we were created, and always will be.

I would disagree with any so-called "Christian" view, that says that God doesn't have "good or bad feelings".  God has love, jealousy, anger, compassion, etc.  I would like to know where any "Christian" would get that, from?

YOU:  "Some propose other scenarios, that God fell from perfection(without giving any explanation for this) and decided he needed this world and man, or that this world is not created by God but by a lesser demon(gnostics."

One only need get to the very first line in the inspired Word of God, to debunk this view....

Gen. 1:1-  "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."

Isaiah 44:24-  "Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself"

Everything we read about God in the inspired Scriptures, shows Him to be perfect, Self-existing (the very meaning of His name, "Jehovah"), and DEFINITELY, the Creator of the universe.

YOU:  "Some christian answers on this subject did not satisfy me. I read that God created the world because he wanted the beings to glorify Him, praise Him, work for Him(!). This is not a sign of an all powerful God. Others said that God created the world for his pleasure. But when you want to have pleasure with something, you ask that something. Others, that God is love. But when you love something, you need it, dont you? And people didnt exist when God decided to create the world. So how can you love someone, who does not exist?"

I disagree, on several counts.  It has nothing at all with Him being all powerful.  Are you suggesting that God is insecure, and that He needs to boost His self-image by having servants?  God created us because of His desire to love and fellowship with us.  Since He created us, and not we ourselves, it goes without saying that He is the Master, and we are the servant.  As he is eternally existent and we are not, it goes without saying that He is to receive worship.

But the biggest thing you need to remember, is this....We are sinners by nature, and He is holy.  Because it is our sin that has separated us from Him, then it was up to Him to provide the means of our redemption and reconciliation.  He did just that, in the Person of Jesus Christ.  

I know some mock and blaspheme God, by asking "What kind of God sends His children to Hell, merely for not worshipping Him?"

That is a really ridiculous question to ask....First off, its a lie.  God doesn't send His CHILDREN to Hell.  Not everyone is a "child of God" (John 1:12-13).  We become children of God by faith and trust in Jesus Christ, at which point we are not going to Hell, but will live eternally with Him.  So, that statement made by many, is based on a false premise.  I notice another "expert" here just made that statement, but it is a complete fabrication.  God does not send "His children" to Hell...He sends those that reject the offer to become His children, by ignoring their need for Jesus Christ.

But the second part of the question, is also ridiculous.  Since we are separated from God by our sin, without hope of being saved, apart from the provision that God Himself made for us, then it is perfectly reasonable that we worship Him.  Without Him, we were lost, and without hope.  If someone saved you from drowning, would you not want to meet them, and thank them, and even do something for them?  Nobody in their right mind would disrespect someone who had just saved their life, by saying "I don't have time for you, and want nothing to do with you" .

Let's remember....We are not worth of salvation.  It is only God's mercy and provision, that gives us the chance to be saved.  Therefore, it is perfectly reasonable that we would worship the One that provided the means for us to be saved.  We are not doing Him any favors by serving Him....He has done us all the favors.

Furthermore, you are asking if it is possible to love something that doesn't exist.  The problem is, you are looking at it from your own finite, human understanding.  I have heard women who tried to have children for years, say that they imagine and even love that child, before they ever even conceive it.  I can't say that isn't the case.  But again, God has foreknowledge.  He knows us before we are formed, so yes, He certain CAN love us.  And no, I do not agree that "loving" something, means you necessarily "need" it.  What about a man who loves his wife who has left him for another man?  He hopes and prays she comes back, but she doesn't.  Eventually, he finds a way to go on without her.  He loved her intensely, and even FELT that he needed her.  But when all was said and done, life continued on.  Down the road, he may eventually find another wife who loves and cares for him, and is devoted to him.  Did he really "need" the adulterous wife, who deserted him?

I'm sorry, but I don't see your point on that one.  God does love us, yes, but He is still God if we never come to Him for salvation.

YOU:  "The only logical answer I found was from a Hinduist that believes in a personal God(not pantheist). He said that God has never stopped creating through Eternity. Its his sport, its in his nature. This was far better than the "praise me" scenario."

I do not see this answer as "logical" in the least.  In fact, God DID "rest" from creating on the 7th day, once the creation was complete (Gen. 2:2).  While this Hindu may have an opinion that God creates for "sport", there is simply no valid reason for supporting this notion.  

YOU:  "Have you ever wondered about this subject? Do you have a better explanation?"

As I said before, I think we all have questions about certain things the Bible doesn't go into in depth.  That is normal.  However, it is not a reason to look for a "more satisfying" explanation, than what we are given in the Scriptures.  

But yes, I do have a better explanation, and its the very one found in the Scriptures.

Rev. 4:11-  "Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created."

Eph. 1:0-  "Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:"

Philippians 2:13-  "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure."

Personally, I have no problem with understanding that God created this world for His own pleasure, and us, because He loves and desires fellowship with us.  He would still be God without us, because He is God by nature, and His status as God, does not depend on our existence.  But I am glad that there is a loving side of Him that wants our companionship, aren't you?

YOU:  "Also, did he make this world from Jesus Christ or man?"

If you're asking whether Jesus is the Creator, then yes....

John 1:3-  "All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made."

Colossians 1:16-17-  "For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:"

And he is before all things, and by him all things consist."

And by the way, if you have a "bible" that adds the word "other" to this passage, in order to make Christ a creation Himself, then you need to get a real Bible that doesn't tamper with Scripture to prove a doctrine.  Just saying...

Hebrews 1:8-10-  "But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands"

I hope this has answered your question.

Christaras, a word of advice....Don't let your failure to fully understand God, keep you from loving and serving Him.  It should worry you, if you COULD fully comprehend everything there is to know about God.  Now, we live by faith, but one day, our faith will become sight.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland