Jehovah`s Witness/JW Husband/ Study wife

Question
My new husband is a former elder with 40 years in the truth.  I have been studying for about a year, attending both Sunday meetings and/or midweek meetings.  I am not growing closer to Jehovah.  In fact the more I learn the more I dislike him.  My husband is enraged.  No one else knows.  The Sisters I study with are always sweet, I cannot pain them with this.  I feel bad about it.

Answer
Hello Toni

Thank you for writing.

There is no need to feel bad.  Every one MUST make their own decision based on what they know and see.  It can be very difficult to discus how one feels about a problem when emotion is involved.  Religion is a personal matter but can become very emotional for some people, and when emotion is involved it may become very difficult to keep matters calm.

There are many households that are divided as to where one has a belief in God and one does not , or, in different religious traditions, (some Christian and some non Christian) that actually work, and, work well.  Respect for each others belief system, and a need for some compromise on both sides is what is important.  Each person in a marriage must do what is best for themselves at the same time keeping in mind how what they do may effect the partner.  That is not always easy (speaking from experience)

If you would like to discuss what it is you find objectionable about Jehovah, please write and tell me what aspects you find hard to deal with and why those aspects distress you. Perhaps there are some details that have been missing in explanations given to you, perhaps details have not been made real clear.  I know for my self, I  find it very difficult to accept new ideas that are strange to me with out having all the finer points covered from a lot of angles.  I must, at times, have things spelled out very clearly and very consistency.

It may be very difficult to tell your husband the others involved, without letting emotion come into play,  but what might help is having a very clear and concise

There have been many times that I have had an idea presented to me that most people around me get and understand straight away, but I will raise all sorts of objections too.  There are some explanations that are understood by JWs in general that I just can not comprehend how or why that conclusion is reached as it just does not make sense to me.  But I look at the overall picture of a matter and and decide just how important the matter is.  Now I appreciate that not liking the God we worship is not a small matter, but perhaps the principle is the same, needing to get a finer more detailed understanding, just in case some details are missing of him.  Sometimes, after lots of explanations, it has taken a different person that uses different phraseology in explaining a matter in a way that I finally grasp

It is not a decision to take lightly. If you finally decide that Jehovah is not to be liked, then you need to be able to have strategy to inform your husband and friends in a way that is going to cause the least emotional turmoil.

If you want to do it on a public forum that is fine if you want to send me private correspondence that is fine. But I would like to help you either understanding Jehovah more fully so that you can make an informed decision, or give some ideas  (i will not give advice just some ideas)on how to tell your husband in a way that may let him understand how and why you feel that way.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn