Jehovah`s Witness/Missing out

Thanks for that last reply.  I can sort of see your point of view of the difference between the custom of wedding rings and the customs of Christmas.  DO you feel as though you are missing out on what the rest of us do at Christmas time?

Thank you for writing again Henry,

Please be aware I am not having a go at you personally in what I am about to write as I do not know your circumstances.  I am speaking in GENERAL terms.  I do get somewhat annoyed at people that claim to be staunch believers in the Bible, yet give into what others think.  I am not having a dig at the many millions of people that, by my experience (speaking from my observations),   do not really view Christmas as a sacred time, but as a secular time, or fantasy time, with a small splattering of religion.        

No I do not feel that I am missing out on anything.  I actually feel sorry for all those that do celebrate Christmas.  It is not a season for joy.  You just have to go shopping to see that. The amount of anxiety that people have is seen on their faces and their attitudes to each other.  Pushing and shoving, manners goes right out the windows, finding car parks, it seems every one is lost their cool.  Standing in line at check outs listening to conversations of people complaining about what to buy, how much they are expected to spend, not wanting to be  buying for “so and so” because they have not given me a present or even a card in “x” years, and  having to go to lunch at “Ys” house where everyone complains about each other.....    It seems to me the vast majority of people engage in Christians activates because of peer pressure and not because of a true desire to remember the one whom God sent forth to take our sins away.

Yes it is a real insight to behold the behaviour of people at this time of the year. I am so glad that I do not have  to take part in it.  When our children were at school we had a lot of parents say  to us they wish they did not have to go through all the hassle and that they envied us for looking so happy at this time.  Even neighbours have said the same thing.

There are actually some people that really believe that Christmas is is about celebrating the fact that  God chose Jesus  to be born and to be our saviour  and that the date and the costumes are really immaterial (however many still engage in these pagan inspired traditions) BUT is remembering the birth of Jesus something that God would approve of?

We acknowledge that is was part of Gods plan for Jesus to be born.  However, we also know that the birth of Jesus is NOT important, --- his death is.    Ecclesiastes 7:1-4) “1 A name is better than good oil, and the day of death than the day of one’s being born. 2 Better is it to go to the house of mourning than to go to the banquet house, because that is the end of all mankind; and the one alive should take [it] to his heart. 3 Better is vexation than laughter, for by the crossness of the face the heart becomes better. 4 The heart of the wise ones is in the house of mourning, but the heart of the stupid ones is in the house of rejoicing."

At his birth, Jesus had not made a  good name as he had done nothing at all.  It was his death and not his birth that there is a provision of salvation Romans 5:8, 9 ” 8 But God recommends his own love to us in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. 9 Much more, therefore, since we have been declared righteous now by his blood, shall we be saved through him from wrath.“

For the death of Jesus to have meant anything he had to die a perfect human who remained obedient to God all his life. 1 Peter 2:21, 22 “In fact, to this [course] YOU were called, because even Christ suffered for YOU, leaving YOU a model for YOU to follow his steps closely. 22  He committed no sin , nor was deception found in his mouth.” Philippians 2:8 “ . . .he humbled himself and became obedient as far as death. . .”

We remember his death each year but without any of the pagan influenced costumes that accompany Easter.  What is so wrong with all those costumes?  It is because they are used in the religious ceremonies that are supposed to honor God on some way.  They originate in pagan “religious ”  customs   and are incorporated into religious activities. (That is quite different to finger rings used in weddings)

We also let the following Bible truths influence us.  Satan is the god of this world (1 John 5:19 ) ” but the whole world is lying in the [power of the] wicked one.”

As such he does not want the truth of God to be known (2 Corinthians 4:3, 4) “3 If, now, the good news we declare is in fact veiled, it is veiled among those who are perishing, 4 among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through. “

Now we do not fell as if we a missing out on any thing.  We feel freed from the slavery of this world  because as true Christians we are no part of Satan’s world (John 15:18, 19) 18 If the world hates YOU, YOU know that it has hated me before it hated YOU. 19 If YOU were part of the world, the world would be fond of what is its own. Now because YOU are no part of the world, but I have chosen YOU out of the world, on this account the world hates YOU.

We heed the advice written by Isaiah (Isaiah 52:11) 11 Turn away, turn away, get out of there, touch nothing unclean; get out from the midst of her, keep yourselves clean, YOU who are carrying the utensils of Jehovah. . .”

Because Satan is the ruler of this world, we keep our worship to God separated from the things he rules over because God views them as unclean.

We feel the truth about the practices of Christmas has “set free” from the things that enslave much of the world just as John recorded “John 8:31, 32 ”  . .And so Jesus went on to say to the Jews that had believed him: “If YOU remain in my word, YOU are really my disciples, 32 and YOU will know the truth, and the truth will set YOU free. . “.

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn

I AM one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and I am always learning. I am NOT an expert in the full sense of the word but I can answer questions on the reliability of the NWT - the so called mind control problems-so called prophecies - how being a JW affects the individual and relatives and general practices and history of Jehovah’s Witnesses. >>WARNING<< Please be aware that there are people here who ARE NOT practicing JWs. By all means ask these ones questions. Depending on the question you will get an honest answer, but, generally the answer you get, will mislead you as to what we believe, often because, they do not give ALL the relevant details. These ones will, have an agenda against JWs., and will at times give answers that are not correct in regard to JW teachings and practices. If you are after a answer from one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, please read some of the answers that the various experts have published before choosing someone. If you want to ask one of the NON JWs a question, that is fine, BUT if you want a balancing view after asking one of the NON JWs, ask a JW the same question. PLEASE ALSO NOTE: There(have been)and are, some "experts" here who are NOT always the most courteous and polite, at times are actually quite rude, that applies to both JW's and non JW's and their answers may offend, especially when they get personal and attack the character of the person and not the message. Unfortunately some here that have done that. So it IS IMPORTANT to chose an "expert" that YOU feel will best suit YOU by reading some of their past answers . . . . .

I have been a publisher since 1964. When I first went on the internet I found a lot of negative information dealing with Jehovah’s Witnesses covering prophecy, mind control and what many said was a very bad translation of the Bible known as the NWT. It shook my faith. After may hours researching these topics I could see why some felt that way, but, I was also able to explain why there were these misleading views. I can now set matters straight for anyone that has negative information about Jehovah’s Witness to show them that such information is at best misleading and at worst dangerous lies.

I have been a student of the Bible for many years, am trying to teach myself Biblical Greek. Was a public tax accountant for many years untill SEP 2009 when I gave it up due to health problems.