Jehovah`s Witness/pagan practices and christians

Question
QUESTION: Hi Rando. I wanted to know if you can help with my question. With all this talk about christmas trees and paganism I wanted to know your thoughts on a similar topic. In the Bible we see that some of the early pagan customs involved offering meat as sacrifices to false gods. My question is, could a christian buy and partake of this meat in a normal manner as long as they did not recognize the idol, or did they have to refrain from buying the meat altogether since it was originally sacrificed to idols? Thank you for your reply, and have a nice day.

ANSWER: Very good question.  Let's look at some scriptures that will help train your "perceptive powers" concerning foods offered to idols.

"Now concerning the eating of food offered to idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world and that there is no God but one.  For even though there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many “gods” and many “lords,” there is actually to us one God, the Father, from whom all things are and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and we through him." (1 Corinthians 8:4-6)

Notice how Paul choose not to "eat" in front of a weaker Christian.  "However, not all have this knowledge. But some, because of their former association with the idol, eat food as something sacrificed to an idol, and their conscience, being weak, is defiled.  But food will not bring us nearer to God; we are no worse off if we do not eat, nor better off if we eat.  But keep watching that your right to choose does not somehow become a stumbling block to those who are weak.  For if anyone should see you who have knowledge having a meal in an idol temple, will not the conscience of that one who is weak be emboldened to the point of eating food offered to idols?" (1 Corinthians 8:7-10)

Paul's answer: "So by your knowledge the man who is weak is being ruined, your brother for whose sake Christ died.  When you sin against your brothers in this way and wound their weak conscience, you are sinning against Christ.  That is why if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat at all, so that I will not make my brother stumble. " (1 Corinthians 8:11-13)

And yet here is even more biblical counsel from the Apostle Paul.  "Welcome the man having weaknesses in his faith, but do not pass judgment on differing opinions.  One man has faith to eat everything, but the man who is weak eats only vegetables.  Let the one eating not look down on the one not eating, and let the one not eating not judge the one eating, for God has welcomed him." (Romans 14:1-3)

"So, then, let us pursue the things making for peace and the things that build one another up.  Stop tearing down the work of God just for the sake of food. True, all things are clean, but it is detrimental for a man to eat when it will cause stumbling.  It is best not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything over which your brother stumbles.  The faith that you have, keep it to yourself before God.  Happy is the man who does not judge himself by what he approves.   But if he has doubts, he is already condemned if he eats, because he does not eat based on faith. Indeed, everything that is not based on faith is sin." (Romans 14:19-23)

You get the sense of these things?  
Take Care,
Brother Rando

QUESTION: Thanks for you answer Rando. I agree pretty much with what you said how a person doesn't want to be a stumbling block to a weaker christian, but that the act itself is not wrong. I also like how you noted that christians are not to judge one another based on these things. This tells me that just because the meat had been misused by pagans in a bad way, and even though their custom involved using the meat in false worship, that it was not necessarily polluted or corrupted to the point that a christian could not use it.

This seems to me like it would apply to decorating a tree as well. Just because pagans may have used a tree in false worship or just because they may have had some bad beliefs concerning it, this does not mean that a christian cannot use a tree to brighten their home or decorate it, as long as they do so in a way that honors God. Am I right? It seems to me this is where Romans 14 would come into play, where we are told that some people hold certain days as holy while others do not, but that we are commanded to not judge others on this basis. Why can nobody seem to obey this command but rather judge each other over decorating a tree which nobody worships or even thinks about how pagans used it thousands of years ago? I think the scriptures you gave me about the meat offered to idols proves this point perfectly.

If Im wrong please show me where and thank you for your time and patience.

Answer
Truth or Lie?
Truth or Lie?  

Snake interlocked into 666.
Snake interlocked into  
Read the comments how others are starting to avoid tree/pagan worship.  Quote: "I began to think of the songs we sang, 'O Tannenbaum' and 'Oh! Christmas Tree.' I had been singing to a tree as though it were alive and had some strange power. We decorated it and placed our gifts below the tree as though the gifts and good feeling emanated from and through the tree.

I thought about the words to 'Silent Night, Holy Night,' a truly beautiful piece of music. I wondered about shepherds and their flocks in the fields on a lovely evening at the end of December. But this was a contradiction. December was a very cold time of the year and sheep wouldn't be in open fields during that time.

The Christmas stories about Santa Claus and the shepherds in the fields on Christmas Eve were false. I found out that Jerusalem has rain and cold that time of year and it sometimes snows in the region. Sheep are sheltered in the wintertime, not left out in inclement weather.

I discovered that the Christmas tree and its ornaments and giving of Christmas gifts come from ancient Roman festivals. I also learned that the Christmas tree represents idolatry, which is an affront to God (Exodus 20:4-5). Jesus Christ never sinned in His life and says we should avoid sin, going against God's will (Hebrews 12:1-4)." End of quote.  http://www.ucg.org/doctrinal-beliefs/christians-who-dont-celebrate-christmas-her

Take Care and I hope you and your family are safe and warm.  
Brother Rando

PS... Satan is very deceptive, he keeps transforming himself into an angel of light.  http://mystery-babylon.org/christmas.html

Jehovah`s Witness

Brother Rando