Jehovah`s Witness/Pagan Weddings

Question
What do you believe about the pagan practices at weddings?  We all do them: rings, cakes, vows, etc.  Isn't a wedding a religious ceremony for JW's as it is for Christians?  This is what the Watchtower says, "Even if it were a fact that pagans first used wedding rings, would that rule such out for Christians? Not necessarily?" Watchtower 1/15/72 p. 63  

Answer
Hello, and thank you for writing.

Yeah, you know, this is the problem with the JW religion.....It isn't really about abstaining from any practice with roots in paganism. Its about abstaining from practices with roots in paganism, that the Watchtower Society decides is forbidden.  As you correctly point out, the WT itself acknowledges that many practices have completely lost their pagan significance.

There is nothing inherently wrong with decorating a tree in the home, just because pagans may have done it, or even using a certain day used by pagans as something wicked, to commemorate the birth of the Savior.  Think about it....if its really wrong, then why do they have to LIE, and claim that a Christmas tree is an object of worship? Why can't they ever tell the truth?

But as you pointed out, JWs themselves have no problem with several things that have their origins in paganism. They certainly don't hesitate to use the names for our days and months, even though nearly every one of them are named after pagan "gods".  Cats were worshipped as deities in certain pagan cultures, yet I know JWs who even have cats IN THEIR HOMES, if you can believe it. Wait...cats are legitimate creations of God (I suppose). But then again, so are trees.

Do JWs refuse to live in Manitou Springs, Colorado, or Phoenix, Arizona? Do they wear wedding bands? If ao, how is this justified? And do they know that there are several better exppanations for the origin of the Christmas tree than the ones they choose to accept, and which have NO roots in paganism? I still would like for lying Rando to tell us if he thinks Jeremiah chapter 10 is referring to a Christmas tree, or anything similar?

Well Brother, sorry this is so short of a reply, but I am answering this from my phone. Take care, and God bless.

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland