Jehovah`s Witness/1 Tim 2:5

Question
Is Christ mediator between himself and all Jehovah's Witnesses or just between himself and the anointed class.  I've read that he is only a mediator for the anointed class.  Can you clarify?  Thanks.

Answer
Hello Michelle,

Thank you for your question.  It is one that comes up from time to time and I hope I can give you a satisfying scriptural answer.

We all know the the word mediator means "a go between". So then -  is Jesus a "go between" for all man kind or just a few.

Mediators were used for all types of events.  I will illustrate that with another great mediator of the Bible Moses.

Moses was the mediator of the Law covenant between Jehovah God and the nation of Israel. Jehovah spoke with him “mouth to mouth” (Nu 12:8 ), although actually Jehovah’s angel spoke representatively for God. (Ac 7:38; Ga 3:19; Heb 2:2 ) Moses was an intermediary spokesman for Jehovah to Israel. (Ex 19:3, 7, 9; 24:9-18 ) As mediator he was “entrusted with all [Jehovah’s] house.” (Nu 12:7 ) In mediating the Law covenant he helped the nation of Israel to keep the covenant and to receive its benefits.

The apostle Paul says: “Now there is no mediator where only one person is concerned, but God is only one.” (Ga 3:20 ) In the Law covenant God was one party; the nation of Israel was the other ‘party.’ Because of their sinful condition, the Israelites were unable to approach God in a covenant. They needed a mediator. Their weakness was demonstrated in their request to Moses: “You speak with us, and let us listen; but let not God speak with us for fear we may die.” (Ex 20:19; Heb 12:18-20 ) Accordingly, Jehovah mercifully constituted Moses mediator of the Law covenant and arranged for animals to be sacrificed to validate the covenant. Moses, of course, was also imperfect and sinful; however, he enjoyed a favorable standing with God, even as Abraham had earlier. (Heb 11:23-28 ) On the occasion of the inauguration of the covenant, Moses officiated, directing the sacrifice of the animals. Then he sprinkled their blood on the scroll or “the book of the covenant.” He read the book to the people, setting forth the terms, and the people responded by agreeing to obey. Moses then sprinkled them (doubtless the representative older men) with the blood, saying: “Here is the blood of the covenant that Jehovah has concluded with you as respects all these words.”—Ex 24:3-8; Heb 9:18-22 .

So Moses was the go between in forming that covenant with the nation of Israel. By the power of God, Moses performed many miracles in behalf of the people. He interceded for them, pleading with Jehovah to spare them for Jehovah’s name’s sake. (Ex 32:7-14; Nu 14:11-20; 16:20-22; 21:7; De 9:18-20, 25-29; 10:8-11 ) Moses had the interests of Jehovah’s name and also the people’s interest at heart even above his concern for his own welfare.—Ex 32:30-33; Nu 11:26-29; 12:9-13 .

It is interesting to note about proselytes. (Those that were not Hebrews by birth but joined the nation in worship of Jehovah).  When Jehovah made his covenant, it was only with Israel. Those of the “vast mixed company,” although present, were not named as participants. (Exodus 12:38; 19:3, 7, 8 ) Their firstborn were not taken into account when the ransom price for the firstborn of Israel was calculated. (Numbers 3:44-51 ) Decades later when the land of Canaan was divided between the Israelite tribes, nothing was set aside for non-Israelite believers. (Genesis 12:7; Joshua 13:1-14 ) Why? Because the Law covenant was not made with proselytes. But proselyte men were circumcised in obedience to the Law. They observed its regulations, and they benefited from its provisions. Proselytes as well as Israelites came under the Law covenant.—Exodus 12:48, 49; Numbers 15:14-16; Romans 3:19 .

In the Christian era God instituted a new covenant  . The parties were Jehovah and the new nation, a spiritual Israel , and this time Jesus was the mediator (Hebrews 12:24 ).  The covenant was ratified by the shedding of Jesus blood. Just as the ancient covenant had benefits for proselytes. As Gods High Priest, Jesus  will bring blessings to others of mankind, for all the nations are to be blessed by means of Abraham’s seed.

Just as in the case of Israel, the covenant was between God and the Israelites, with benefits to the proselytes, the new covenant is between God and the new nation ( Matt. 21:43;  Matthew 23: 37  Rom 2:28 )  but all mankind that chose to exercise faith in Jesus benefit from the new covenant. ( John 17:3 “This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.”   Romans 10:9 “For if you publicly declare that ‘word in your own mouth,’ that Jesus is Lord, and exercise faith in your heart that God raised him up from the dead, you will be saved.”)

No one  can not approach God unless we do so through a “go between” mediator.  And that one is Jesus (John 14:6 “Jesus said to him: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me”    Hebrews 7:25 “Consequently he is able also to save completely those who are approaching God through him , because he is always alive to plead for them.” )

As far as the new covenant is concerned, Jesus is the mediator of those in that covenant, but the benefits of that covenant is open to all mankind just as in the case of the old covenant.

The Bible used is the NWT.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn