Jehovah`s Witness/Breaking Free

Question
If you don't mind sharing, what was it that made you leave the organization? I'm trying to understand how an indoctrinated person can get to the point where their mind is open to see the inconsistencies and mind control.

I will not be offended if you reject my question. I'll just ask a different one.

Answer
I am not offended in the least. Please ask anything that comes to mind. That is why I have a profile here.

Breaking free from any mind controlling group is very difficult, almost impossible once fully indoctrinated. You will see the hard-core responses from many of the "loyal" experts here. The absolutism and zero tolerance for considering any view outside of the organization view.

While I was fully indoctrinated for many years, I have always had an inquisitive mind. I like to know the beginning to the end. How a matter first came into existence and how it came to be known the way we know it now. That sort of thing. But I was afraid, and had been warned about Satan's wily ways to draw even the strongest away from "the truth." So I would not investigate the quiet doubts about many things. I let those doubts settle way in the back of my mind. They weren't forgotten, I just would not allow the thoughts to surface. I am sure that most Witnesses have experienced the same thing.

I will try to list some things that likely helped me to finally let those doubts come forward to be researched. One is, I could not imagine my grandparents being destroyed at armageddon simply because they would not become Witnesses. I had wonderful god-fearing grandparents. My grandfather carried a New Testament Bible in his pocket all the time. It was marked from front to back, as were the ones that he had already worn out. He and my grandmother would visit the Kingdom Hall occasionally and did not oppose us, but they never got involved. My grandfather knew the Bible better than any of us. Seeing them live Christianity was something that I could not totally ignore.

One teaching that I never saw as Biblical was that Jehovah had shut the door on selecting "the anointed" in 1935. How could anyone know Jehovah's business? But I accepted this as truth even though I felt myself as "anointed" at times. What cracked the egg, though, never to be mended, was one day I was reading an encyclopedia about Jerusalem's destruction occurring in 586 BCE. 586? Huh? How could that be right? We teach the destruction occurred in 607. So every time I want in a ibrary or book store I would look it up. Dang! Same thing in all the reference works, 586 BCE. When I finally researched, that was one thing I researched thoroughly.

Maybe it was my age, or maybe I saw too many inner circle things once I became an elder. But one day I finally realized that if a matter is true, then it has nothing to fear from any investigation. Truth has nothing to fear from apostates, from Satan, from nay sayers or anybody. Truth can stand on its on. So I let my settled doubts float forward and I investigated each one. You know what I learned? Trust your gut. Trust your instincts. If something seems a bit wary, trust yourself to check it out thoroughly.

Maybe I wandered off on a tangent. Please bring me back on point if you need to hear something more specific.
Robert J

Jehovah`s Witness

Robert Jones