Jehovah`s Witness/Jesus Christ Authority

Hi Steven,
Hope all is well. I study with the witnesses & have been for a while. I love my congregation. I have talked to many experts on here. I noticed that you think & I think Witnesses think as well. But at times when I read the scriptures & then from the stage something else is said...I just want to know if Satan is messing with me or is Jehovah revealing the scriptures to me. Because no matter what, Jehovah has the last word, no matter what man says. The scripture at Matt. 28:18 And Jesus approached and spoke to them, saying: “All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth. So my question is or observation is..was this said in 1914 or was Jesus given authority after his resurrection. In the OT, we find out that Satan is the ruler of the earth, but after Jesus's resurrection is Satan still the ruler ? Hope to hear from you.

Insight Vol. 2 Page 61 says this:
"The full significance of his “name.” It can be seen that, while Jesus’ death on a torture stake plays a vital part in human salvation, acceptance of this is by no means all that is involved in ‘putting faith in the name of Jesus.’ (Ac 10:43) Following his resurrection, Jesus informed his disciples, “All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth,” thereby showing that he heads a government of universal domain. (Mt 28:18) The apostle Paul made clear that Jesus’ Father has “left nothing that is not subject to him [Jesus],” with the evident exception of “the one who subjected all things to him,” that is, Jehovah, the Sovereign God. (1Co 15:27; Heb 1:1-14; 2:8) Jesus Christ’s “name,” therefore, is more excellent than that of God’s angels, in that his name embraces or stands for the vast executive authority that Jehovah has placed in him. (Heb 1:3, 4) Only those who willingly recognize that “name” and bow to it, subjecting themselves to the authority it represents, will gain life eternal. (Ac 4:12; Eph 1:19-23; Php 2:9-11) They must, sincerely and without hypocrisy, line up with the standards Jesus exemplified and, in faith, obey the commands he gave.—Mt 7:21-23; Ro 1:5; 1Jo 3:23."

Obviously, by virtue of his obedience, Jesus' name is above all other names, all authority has been given to him. Yet, it goes without saying that his father is still above him. And because the Kingdom was still not established in the heavens, it is only in the sense of those who accept him and who he finds to be his true disciples that he has all authority. Satan still rules this world. His time has not expired until he is bound and thrown into the abyss for a thousand years at the end of this system of things. Satan is the god of this world as long as someone chooses to follow a course of rebellion; he is their god. To all who refuse to recognize the authority of Jehovah and/or the authority of Jesus, Satan is still their god and ruler though they don't know it.

Also the September 15th 2010 Watchtower paragraph 7 of the article, "Your Leader is One, The Christ" additional light is shed on this subject when it says, "Shortly before ascending to heaven, the resurrected Jesus told his disciples: “All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth.” (Matt. 28:18) Jehovah had Jesus pass on holy spirit to strengthen his disciples in Christian truth. (John 15:26) Jesus poured out this spirit upon the early Christians at Pentecost 33 C.E. (Acts 2:33) That outpouring of the holy spirit marked the founding of the Christian congregation. Jehovah invested his Son with the heavenly leadership of the congregation on earth. (Read Ephesians 1:22; Colossians 1:13, 18.) Jesus guides the Christian congregation by means of Jehovah’s holy spirit, and he has at his service angels who were “made subject to him.”—1 Pet. 3:22."

So all authority is given to Jesus respecting his authority over the Christian congregation. He is the one in charge. It is his congregation. Even though God's Kingdom has not yet been established for the purpose of bringing an end to Satan's system, Jesus rules in a spiritual sense over his followers who are no part of the world just as he was no part of the world. He does not rule over Satan's world and never will. Rather he will bring an end to Satan's world when the time comes.

We need to remember however that the application of this mainly takes place at two distinct times. First it was seen in the first century during the time that holy spirit came upon the early Christian and was perceived by many who possessed various gifts of the holy spirit such as the gift of healing or of prophesying, or the gift of knowledge, etc. Yet, when the apostles died off these gifts of the spirit came to an end. These gifts were necessary when establishing the early Christian congregation but for the Holy Spirit to continue to be poured out is such a way could have been viewed as a valid claim by Satan that Jehovah was not allowing him a fair opportunity to exercise his rulership over the world without interference. Jehovah's servants don't need signs. (see 1 Corinthians 1:22-25) They come to know and appreciate Jehovah by drawing close to him and having a relationship with him. (James 4:8) The second occasion that Jesus has poured out God's Holy Spirit upon Christians has been in modern times close to and during this time of the end. Without that Holy
Spirit modern day Christians never would have been able to accomplish the world wide preaching work as they have. The evidence is there but only those truly involved with the Christian congregation can and will recognize it. Jehovah's spirit works in a different way today. There are no gifts of the Holy Spirit today and neither are any of the modern day anointed Christians inspired with Holy spirit in the sense that the Bible writers were (which is why our publications are not infallible but only God's word the Bible is). Yet, the truth continues to get brighter and growth continues to take place with more and more person's continuing to dedicate their lives to Jehovah. Satan continues to be proved a liar and God's name continues to be sanctified by his worshipers.

So all authority over the Christian congregation was given to Jesus in the first century even though little evidence of that authority can be found in the history of man between the first century and modern times. Yet even through those dark ages there were those who were acceptable as faithful Christians. We can only guess who they may have been. They would likely have been men (& women) who were involved in the religions of Christendom for those religions were used by God during that time period. It may be that Jesus poured out Holy Spirit on such men as Martin Luther, enabling the protestant reformation to take place as an example. Yet Daniel prophesied  that the book would be sealed up until the time of the end and that is what happened. [Satan has no claim that God was not fair.] We read it at Daniel 12:9,10 "And he went on to say: “Go, Daniel, because the words are made secret and sealed up until the time of [the] end.  Many will cleanse themselves and whiten themselves and will be refined. And the wicked ones will certainly act wickedly, and no wicked ones at all will understand; but the ones having insight will understand."  When I think of the truth being sealed up and made secret I also think of the scripture that says "creation was subjected to futility". (see Romans 8:20) The scripture says it was subjected on the basis of hope. Indeed for there will be a resurrection of the righteous and the unrighteous. All will have an opportunity to know and accept the truth. When we make a comparison of the periods of time that Jesus poured out God's spirit upon faithful men and women we see what a tremendous difference it makes. It becomes so obvious that everything written in God's word is as good as done. It's something we can really put our faith and trust in. It also becomes just as obvious which people really have God's spirit operating in their lives.

Jehovah`s Witness

I can answer questions about what Jehovah's Witnesses believe and why. I am not a scholar. I have no secular education beyond high school.

I have been a baptized Witness of Jehovah since June 1961. I have never been disfellowshipped but I do have opinions of my own that I feel support what most Witnesses believe. What I am saying is that sometimes my reasons for accepting what Jehovah's Witnesses teach and believe are in addition to or are not the same as the reasons given by our organization but my beliefs are still the same. Even though I may state my personal opinions, I will however never give my own opinion without first trying to state the official position of Jehovah's Witnesses. Contrary to popular opinion, Jehovah's Witnesses are allowed to think for themselves. However, we do recognize the need for unity, for all being on the same page, and therefore I will not give any personal opinions that would result in drawing conclusions contrary to what we as an organization teach. I will always try to give a source to back up my statements.

I have not served as an elder. Anyone asking me a question should know that. My father is an elder and my younger brother is as well. I have served in the capacity of a Ministerial Servant but currently I am not one. I also was a regular pioneer for three years after graduating from high school.