Jehovah`s Witness/Jesus' reign of 1000 yrs

Question
Hi Derrick, hope all is well with your father. I had a question regarding the Jws belief that Jesus would reign as king for a thousand years. I asked one of the Jw experts on this site and she was not familiar with the scriptures that said Jesus would be king forever and ever. She asked if I could show her where it says this and I found these verses. She never replied for some reason.

Rev. 11:15
The seventh angel sounded his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, which said: "The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he will reign for ever and ever."

Ex. 15:18
The LORD will reign for ever and ever."

Dan. 7:14
He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.

Luke 1:33
and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end."

Isaiah 9:7
Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the LORD Almighty will accomplish this.

Matt. 28:18
Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

So how could Jesus only reign for a thousand years when it says He will reign forever and ever?

They also say that after the thousand years He will give the Kingship back to his Father. Where does it say that? It's my understanding that forever doesn't have a ending.

Also how can Jesus have received all authority and power in the heavens and earth if he was appointed King in 1914? Didn't he receive power before then,it does say 'received' (past tense).A Jw that I work with says this was talking about the future. Even so, It doesn't matter who he received it from,just that He has it. The Jw I talk with doesn't have an answer for Jesus having all authority ect... just that he got it from His Father.It's also my understanding from a little research that Jesus received this authority after His resurrection and that's when Satan and his demons were cast out of heaven.

Thanks again, Kevin.

Answer
Good evening, Kevin.  How are you?  Thanks for asking about my dad...Yes, things are on the mend with him.  

You asked..."I had a question regarding the Jws belief that Jesus would reign as king for a thousand years. I asked one of the Jw experts on this site and she was not familiar with the scriptures that said Jesus would be king forever and ever. She asked if I could show her where it says this and I found these verses. She never replied for some reason."

REPLY:  You are correct that the Scriptures you listed, show a reign that is without end.  Now, let me clarify by saying that there WILL be a millenial (1,000 year) reign of Christ on the earth, taking place immediately after the Tribulation period.  During this time, people will continue to be born, and choose to either follow, or reject Christ.  At the end of this 1,000 year period, the Bible teaches that Satan will be loosed once more, in order to deceive the nations once more.  Many whom were born during the Millenium and did not accept Christ, will be persuaded to follow Satan after he is loosed from being bound for the past 1,000 years.  Following this "short time" of Satan being loosed, Christ's reign in the new heavens and the new earth, will be eternal.

I am surprised to know that this JW didn't know of the many Scriptures, which teach Christ's reign to be never ending.  Wow.  The Scriptures you listed, state this quite clearly.  

You also asked...."They also say that after the thousand years He will give the Kingship back to his Father. Where does it say that? It's my understanding that forever doesn't have a ending."

The Scripture they are likely referring to in their statement, would be 1 Corinthians 15:24-25.

1 Corinthians 15:24-25-  "Then [cometh] the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.  

For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet."

When taken in context, however, this is not teaching that Christ will one day cease to reign as King.  The Scriptures are quite emphatic on this point, in the references you gave in your question.  In fact, the entire context of 1 Corinthians 15:24-28, is misused by Jws in their denial of the Biblical teaching of the Trinity.

Let’s look at the other verses in question….

1 Cor. 15:26-28-  “ The last enemy [that] shall be destroyed [is] death.

For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under [him, it is] manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.

And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.”

Much of JW doctrine is derived by imposing an interpretation INTO a Scripture, rather than deriving the interpretation FROM the Scripture’s actual statements.  This Scripture does not say that Jesus will cease to reign, nor does it teach He doesn’t possess the nature of God.  In fact, it never even deals with the nature of Jesus Christ as God, but rather, to His subjection to the Father within the Trinity.

So, what does this passage actually teach?

It actually deals with Christ’s separate role as Mediator for mankind.  That is what is in view.  Jehovahs Witnesses presume that, since Christ is said to be “subject” to the Father, this implies inferiority.  It does not.  It implies the ROLE that the Son occupies, not His inferiority of nature.  In fact, that is a terrible way to view “subjection”, to claim that it refers to one’s nature as somehow inferior.  It was on that basis, that people have justified slavery and oppression of people of other races.  The Bible teaches that the wife is to be subject to her husband, but that in no way implies that she does not possess the same human nature that her husband does, or that she is less human, or even inferior.  The same with an employee of a company…Is he less human than the president of the company?  Obviously not, for they both possess the same nature, and are equal in nature.  They simply occupy a different office, role, or position.  No Trinitarian denies that Christ, as a physically resurrected Man, is in subjection to the Father, although possessing the same nature as God.

And see, that is another thing that must be understood, to properly view this passage…The fact that the Scripture teaches that Jesus was resurrected in a PHYSICAL body, also denied by Jehovah’s Witnesses.  Their denial of this one Scriptural fact, leads to their misunderstanding of “subjection”, in 1 Corinthians 15.  It goes hand in hand.   As a MAN, Christ would naturally be in subjection to the Father, although possessing the same NATURE as God, as does the Father.  It is by failing to understand the 2 natures of Christ…the human and the divine, that Jehovah’s Witnesses have misunderstood this passage.

The passage, when read in context, deal with the fact that Christ NOW acts as Mediator of all mankind, to bring them into a reconciled relationship to the Father.  In the eternal plan of salvation, the eternal Son’s role was to become Mediator (go-between, or reconciler) between man and God the Father.  However, the role of Mediator is not eternal.  There will come a time when man’s redemption will be complete, and the Mediator voluntarily surrenders the kingdom to the One who sent Him into the world to accomplish man’s redemption.  When this time comes, man’s redemption will be fully accomplished.  At that point, the triune God will reign as God, and no longer through just the incarnate Son.

Simply put…the various roles of the Persons in the Trinity, will no longer be necessary…

v. 28-  “…that God may be all in all”.

Again, to arrive at the view that Christ will not rule forever, or that He possesses a nature of inferiority to the Father, is nowhere to be found in this text.  It simply shows that God…Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, will be the eternal ruler of the Kingdom.

Notice that Revelation 22:1,3 refer to the “throne of God, AND of the Lamb”.  This is interesting that it is one throne, and is said to be God’s throne, and the Lamb’s throne.  I believe this gives further support to the understanding that 1 Corinthians 15:24-28, refers to a time when the separation of roles will be no more, and it will simply be God ruling as God.

I hope this has helped, Kevin.  Sorry for the delay, as it has been a very full week.  I’ve been able to answer a couple short questions, but wanted to take some extra time on this one, to provide some necessary detail.  

Take care, and God bless.

Derrick  

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland