Jehovah`s Witness/John 14:14, again

First of all, thank you for helping me finding the truth.

I had the same issue that you already answered on March 31/2008.

I bought the KIT of the Greek Scriptures of 1985 Edition.

From the book, John 14:14, I found the Greek word "me" after "you should ask".  KIT has "me" in the text.

I can understand that when KJV was translated, either Textus Receptus or the Majority text were  used, which didn't include "me" in the text. However, recent discovery of Papyrus 66 and Papyrus 75 dated First and Second Century include "me".

Now, I just wonder, if Jesus really said, "If YOU ask anything in my name, I will do it." or "If YOU ask me anything in my name, I will do it."

My question is not about the interpretation of the verse. Simply did Jesus say "me" or not... If he said, "Ask me", can I ask him?

Hello.  I think you might have perhaps meant to send this to Brenton Hepburn, as I did not answer a question on this topic on 3/31/08.  However, I did check, and Mr. Hepburn DID answer a question on this passage, on 3/31/08.  So I think perhaps you intended to send this to him?

To answer your question, I use the King James Bible, which happens to be worded very similarly to the NWT in this particular passage.  Although the word "me" is not there in the KJ Bible, that certainly does not change the fact that it does authorize prayer to Jesus, because Jesus said that HE would "do" what was asked.  So, it makes sense that He was saying, and was understood to be saying, that He would do what was asked of HIM.  

There are other passages of Scripture also, which show prayer being directed to Jesus, indicate that it is proper to do so....

Acts 7:59-60
1 John 5:11-15
Rev. 22:20

If Jesus were not God, then prayer to Him would be inappropriate.  Because He is, then it is perfectly proper to address Jesus in prayer.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland

I was raised in the religion known as Jehovah`s Witnesses for 13 years. Since becoming a born-again Christian, I have researched extensively this religion, especially their doctrines and their history. I can answer questions about their doctrines from the perspective of Biblical Christianity. To be clear: Jehovahs Witnesses is the religion of my upbringing, though I myself was never baptized into the religion, nor have I ever been considered as a Jehovahs Witness.

29 years of Biblical research into the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith, and how they differ from the teachings of the Watchtower.

I would advise each questioner to this forum, to carefully READ the profiles of the various volunteers. There are several such as myself, who are not practicing JWs, but will provide you with an accurate and honest answer, regarding JW teaching. If we don't know the answer, we will try to research and get it for you. There are also some excellent practicing JWs here, who also endeavor to give you a factual and honest answer, based on their point of view. I believe by getting both points of view, the questioner can weigh the evidence for themselves, and make an informed decision. Unfortunately, there are also 3 here who claim to be JWs, but do NOT give honest, or well-researched answers. They will tell you only what they want you to believe, and they often hide facts about the history of their religion, as well as print untruths about other people's beliefs. This is done in an attempt to deceive the unsuspecting reader. It can be easily seen who these 3 are, simply by reading the public posts and "answers" which they write. Their posts will normally be filled with personal attacks, and if you question them about some teaching or aspect of the Watchtower that makes them uncomfortable, they will often reject your question, question your motives for asking it, tell you that you have been reading "apostate" sites, or turn the conversation into an attack on another expert. These ones are better avoided, as there is nothing to be gained by way of positive discussion, as they are not interested in intelligent conversation, or honest dialogue. If after reading the forum, you still have any questions as to who they are, just ask me, and I will be happy to tell you. And I can also provide documentation of their willful dishonesty. One thing is for a forum where people from both sides claim to be "Christians", there should never be any willful lying. Such ones only create a distraction in the forum, and provide nothing of any real value.

High School, some college. Studies of God's Word, the Bible, and how it compares to JW theology. I have found my own personal study and experiences to be far more valuable than any formal education or training. The Bible message is clear...Salvation is ONLY through and by the shed blood of Jesus Christ, and no religious organization has a thing to do with it. While attendance at a Bible-preaching, Bible-believing church is a must for spiritual growth and fellowship, no church can grant salvation to its members. Nor is joining a particular group a prerequisite for being saved.