Jehovah`s Witness/The many faces of Trinity.

Question
Bro. DW,

After doing a research on the Trinity doctrine a while back. I think it's time to update the Trinity brochure as this (much beloved Christendom) doctrine had "evolved" into many faces.

In my own research, I found that our Trinity brochure is accurate and useful when conversing with people who are strict Trinitarians. That is, those who subscribe to the Athanasian Creed.

But since the are many denominations in Christendom, thus it's very important to understand what the person believes because this doctrine have different meaning and interpretations.  

Below are just some of what I found:

Many in Christendom believe that there's:

1) One God in three persons.
   Where
 a) The Father is God
 b) The Son is God
 c) The Holy Spirit is God

All three persons are the same in that all three have no beginning nor end, co-equal, none compounding the other.

Basically they believe that:

“The Godhead of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost is all one: the glory equal, the majesty coeternal. . . . the Father is almighty, the Son almighty, and the Holy Ghost almighty. . . . So the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Ghost is God. And yet there are not three Gods, but one God. . . . In this Trinity none is afore or after other; none is greater or less than another. But the whole three persons are coeternal together, and coequal.” - Athanasian Creed

-- meaning three faces in ONE Godhead.

This is what the Roman Catholic Church believe.

While others believe that there's:

2) One God in three persons.
   Where
 a) The Father is God
 b) The Son is God
 c) The Holy Spirit is God

But all three are separate persons.  Where God the Father is greater than God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.
Where God the Son and God the Holy Spirit are subject to God the Father but all three persons are worshiped as God.
The Son is worshiped to the glory of God the Father.

3) Then there are those who believe in some form of Arianism where the Godhead is composed of three but unequal persons.
Where the Holy Spirit is not of the same substance as the Father and inferior to both the Father and Son. Where only the Father is uncreated and unknowable.

4) While some believe in a Trinity Godhead where God is revealed as God the Father, God The Son and God  The Holy Ghost in separate occasions.

So conversing with people from different denominations within Christendom is just like the Trinity doctrine - CONFUSING. If one does not know where a person is coming from. It's really very confusing.

I hope the society will update the Trinity brochure to address the many faces of the Trinity doctrine. This will help many honest-hearhted people to see the unbiblical nature of this doctrine - whatever face it shows.

What's your thought Bro. DW?

Answer
Hi Bro

Like you say it's evolved into different thoughts nowadays. It's all part of the great confusion (Babylon the Great).

Many people have realized that the traditional belief of the trinity can't be upheld so they've had to change their ideas on the subject to try and make it work , but it still fails!!!

But can we be surprised they do this, this is what the scriptures say about these type of people

2 Tim 3:

7  "always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth"

That's what they do they learn all manner of things yet still can't get to the truth.

Will we update the trinity brochure??

Possibly. I suppose we'll have to wait and see on that score. I do agree you're correct that the old one is extremely accurate and well presented it's an excellent brochure that has helped many. But maybe that needs to "evolve" too , to encompass these other strange trinity ideas.

Our dear brothers at world headquarters may be considering it, let us see. It would certainly make great reading though.

Take Care Bro

Agape  

Jehovah`s Witness

Bro DW