Jehovah`s Witness/Sects

Question
Greetings,

I read with interest your discussion with Rev. Darryl Murphy regarding divisions and sects.  In looking at the history of Jehovah's Witnesses, I notice that groups tend to splinter off when the Watchtower releases new light that requires a major adjustment in thought (i.e. "this generation").  Most of these groups hold to the very same ideas that separate JW's as the one true religion, but they declined to follow the path of the GB on certain doctrinal changes.  So my question is centered around this idea...if these "splinter" groups still hold to the ideals of the Jehovah's Witnesses of whenever date they left, and they only left because it was the GB changing things on them...which one is the sect?

Is it the majority or the minority?  

Now, I ask the same question regarding when Jehovah's Witnesses separated from the 7th Day Adventists.  There are far more 7th Day Adventists then there are Jehovah's Witnesses...so which one is the sect, the majority or the minority?

I'm not attacking in any way...it's simply the questions going through my head as I read your discussion.

Answer
Hello and thanks for writing,

<<Quote>>Some define a sect as a group that has broken away from an established religion. Jehovah’s Witnesses have not broken away from some other religious group. Instead, we feel that we have reestablished the form of Christianity that was practiced in the first century.

Jehovah’s Witnesses are active in their ministry in over 230 lands and countries. No matter where we live, we give our primary allegiance to Jehovah God and Jesus Christ, not to the U.S. government or to any other human government.  John 15:19; 17:15, 16.

All of our teachings are based on the Bible, not on the writings of some religious leader in the United States.  1 Thessalonians 2:13.

We follow Jesus Christ, not any human leader.  Matthew 23:8-10.<<End Quote>>

So if ones break away from us, as we are established, and start their own group, then they could be considered as a sect.

You have to get out of your mind that we broke away from any religion, we did not.  Jesus is the founder of Christianity, we follow him, and He is God's son.  Continuing on what Jesus founded is what we continue to do.

Maybe an example will be easier for you to understand, Jesus used illustrations all the time.

Let's say a Father created the perfect recipe for a new kind of candy bar, and if anyone wanted that candy bar, they had to come to him for it.  As time went on the Father passed that secret recipe on to his family members, but his family members weren't making it exactly according to what the recipe called for, so the Father decided to send in his son and put his son in charge of his company and get the family members back in line, but they refused to listen to him, so the father decided to let the family members go.  So the son continued on making the candy bar and even invited some people who were not family members to work for him.  But the Father had to give his approval first before they could come work for the son.

But then as time went on some people who worked for the Son decided they wanted to make the candy bar themselves and not only that but thought they could make it much better.  So they left the company and started their own company, but they didn't have the recipe of the Father.  Nor could they use it apart from the Father's company.  

As time went on many people left the company to do their own things, or were put out, for a while it seemed like no one was making the famous candy bar anyone, but the Father refused to let the people who left mess up his purpose to continue this candy bar.  The Father decided that at a certain time he would really get his recipe going full blast.

The Father put the son in charge of his company.  Soon the son decided to go on a vacation so he gave the recipe to some people his Father trusted, they stopped what they were doing and continued on making the recipe.  As the demand grew for this candy bar, ones came and left the company.  But the recipe continued to be made the same way as when the son first was put in charge!  The ones who continued on in loyalty to the Father and son, soon wanted to show honor to the Father so they began calling the candy bar by the Father's name, however the recipe didn't change from when the son took over way back.  And if the Father chose a person to be apart of that company, then you would need to keep following that same recipe.  Also in time the workers who followed the son's steps closely with adhering to the recipe who worked at the company were to be taken on a wonderful vacation.  But only the ones who were part of the company could go.  Any who were on the outside or who decided to leave earlier were not welcome to go with them.

Maybe this will help you to understand that Jehovah's Witnesses did not start a new religion by breaking away from another one, we continue with the same exact one from way back as footstep followers of Jesus.

So the Father represents Jehovah, the Son, represents Jesus, and the recipe represents Bible teachings of Christianity, and the company represents the organization as a whole. The people the Father chose are Jehovah's Witnesses.  The Family members that left the company are the Jews, the people who went and started their own company are apostate Christianity, and others like them. The vacation represents the ones who will survive Armageddon, but they have to be apart of the Company, God's visible organization, to begin with and follow the recipe or Bible Teachings of Christianity as laid out in the Bible.

As for your second comment/question, JW's did not break away from 7th Day Adventists.  I know that you are basing that on Bro. Russell who had been involved with that religion, but what you are not seeing is Bro. Russell didn't start a following after himself or a new religion,  but in study of the Bible where Christianity came from, the following was after Jesus.  And still to this day, it's Jesus.  Jesus is our leader.

Look at the example I gave, Bro. Russell would be one of the ones who worked at the company that the father chose, making that same recipe from the Son, which has not changed since the son took over, just because the Father chose Bro. Russell to be a part of his company, doesn't mean it's Bro. Russell's company or recipe.   It's the Father's and the Son is running it and has workers.  Understand now?  

I hope you can now understand how we did not start a new religion or broke away from some religious group.   We continue on in our founder Jesus' footsteps.

Sister T

jw.org  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T