Jehovah`s Witness/translation

Question
QUESTION: I see you answered one question which asked about the validity of training in hebrew greek translations by the bible translators of JW.you answered that those translators knew greek and hebrew!court document reveal that 0 of the translators could read  or write either language and the leaders admited on the witness stand that they could not read or write !Why do you lie?

ANSWER: Greeting Ray,

I have not looked back through all my answers to see just what I said. But as regard the court case, I am assuming you are referring to a case where F.W. Franz was asked to do some translating in court while under oath.

I suggest that you have been given some wrong information

I know of two so called scholar, Ron Rhodes, and Walter Martin in a books they individually published against JWs, do not give a full account of what was said at that trial. In the transcript below I put in bold the words that Mr Rhodes and Mr Martin misses out.  Many people have copied what they wrote and spread incorrect information

I have  before me a poor photocopy transcript of the whole 762 pages of the  proceedings of what is  known as the Walsh v. The Lord Advocate..  This was  case in Scotland in 1954. where Douglas Walsh was called for national service but he declined on the grounds he was a minister. The court wanted to test that. On  page 102  in the middle of asking Franz about different directors of the British Branch of the WTBTS the prosecutor suddenly asks Franz about his ability to read Hebrew. The previous day that had already been established.  I will provide here the questions and answers that are given.  (The transcript is not set out as bellow. There is no space between the Questions and answers.  They just follow each other on the same line. The type is double spaced)

Mr Franz is asked

Q ...Would you look,  please, at No. 42  of Process, which is the New World Translation of the Hebrew Scriptures. I think we come to the name Jehovah in the fourth verse, don't we, of the second chapter of Genesis. Page 34T.

A : Yes  

Q: You yourself read and speak Hebrew do you

A:   I do not speak Hebrew

Q:You do not

A :No

Q: Can you yourself translate that into Hebrew?

A: Which?

Q: That fourth verse of the second chapter of Genesis?

A:You mean here?

Q: Yes.

A:  No. I won't attempt to do that.

First did you notice that F. Franz was asked if he could Read , and Speak Hebrew.  His answer was that he could not speak Hebrew.  I am teaching myself to read Biblical Greek.  So far, in my head, I have learnt to read  some Biblical Greek. BUT I can not speak it.

Next notice that  F. Franz  was asked to translate from ENGLISH into HEBREW .... It is wrongly suggested by some that he was asked to translate from Hebrew into English..... which he was not asked to do.... Most teachers of Biblical Hebrew do not have sufficient fluency  in the language to speak or write it. As far as language is concerned, from information I have on Genesis 2:4 it is a difficult passage.  It has no finite verb but one Niphal infinitive construct, with suffix, and one Qal Infininitive construct.  (if you want to know what those terms mean see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_verb  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niphal   http://www.becomingjewish.org/pdf/qal_infinitive_absolute-hebrew.pdf)

On page 7 of the transcript, from the previous day, we find F. Franz being asked about his linguistic abilities

Q: I think that you studied both Latin and Greek when you were at the University?

A:Yes.

Q: Have you also made yourself familiar with Hebrew?

A:Yes.

Q:Do you also know and speak Spanish, Portuguese and French?

A:Spanish, Portuguese, and German, but I have a reading knowledge of French.

Q:So that you have a substantial linguistic apparatus at your command?

A: Yes, for use in my Biblical work.

Q: I think that you are able to read and follow the Bible in Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Spanish, Portuguese, German and French?

A: Yes.

So Ray I did not lie.

QUESTION: sorry my friend I did read all of the transcripts! none of those who were charged with the nwt were capable of translating the languages.That is the reason the society refused to release their names!you are just as deceived as the roman church is!

Answer
OK Ray, if you have absolute conclusive proof that none of the NWT committee were capable of translating from the Biblical languages, please provide it.

The transcript above from the court shows that F. Franz (who never said he was on the NWT committee) he was capable of translating. I challenge you to show where the NWT does not comply with any translation rules or breaks rules of Biblical Hebrew and or Greek grammar.

I assert that opposes of the NWT do so purely on theological bias and not on good translation methods. I also assert that ALL translations use some theological bias when there is more that one way of rendering a passage. Some translations are extremely biased to theological ideas. The NWT has very little, almost no, theological bias.

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn