Jehovah`s Witness/What do you make of the wimping out of Grünbaum

Question
I'm one of your readers,have you seen the board,Grünbaum
crying like a little boy,can you believe it!!!

your thoughts,has Grünbaum finally blew a gasket? he donesn't seem like a champion now does he?

Answer
Hello Dave, thanks for writing.

I am debating how to address this, as I received a similar question from another person as well, but the other question was a little less pointed than this one.  So, let me just say this....

I will not presume to be the judge of the man's heart.  I remember awhile back when things were pretty heated on this forum, and things were said that should not have been.  My nature in a debate, is to pound a person into the pavement when I know I am correct.  Sometimes there may be a place for that, but I did allow myself to say some things in response to lies and slander about me, that I should have said differently.  I was correct in everything I said, but not in the way I said it.  A brother wrote me privately, and I realized that, so I mentioned it in the forum.  Well, a JW who views himself as a judge of people's hearts, came on here and said that it was "mock humility" and insincere.  He was wrong.  I choose not to stoop to that man's level, in presuming to judge Mr. Grunbaum's motives or intents.

My biggest concern, is some of the nonsensical statements made by him and this so-called Stewart guy.  As I read his writing to Grunbaum, and Grunbaum's answer, I could honestly not believe what I was reading.  But when I got to Grunbaum's comments about being humbled, and his apology, my thoughts went from amazement to pity and compassion.  And that is the truth. Like I said, I will not try and judge his heart or motives.  Is he being insincere?  I can't say.  My thoughts at the moment are, that he really believes this idea of the end coming in 2014, and that it has produced some feelings in him that may have been there all the time, but deeply hidden.  Maybe in his own way, he is trying to make things right before the end, and is sincerely wishing he had shown a more loving approach...I don't know.  

Now, let's just be honest about it....All of the readers here know that he has shown rudeness, hatefulness, and arrogance at times.  That point is not debatable.  Nor is it debatable that I have said some things that I wish I had worded differently, as well.  In the past 2 weeks, Grunbaum and I have had some talks in private, regarding a well-documented liar on this forum, who is also a JW.  That person knows who they are.  Mr. Grunbaum acknowledged that false statements were made by the JW, and a very weak and lame attempt was made, to ask the liar to retract his lies.  He didn't retract, and I believed that Grunbaum did what amounted to "wimping out", when asked to pursue it further.  Suffice it to say, there is a documented liar in this forum who was caught lying AGAIN just in the past week, and he refuses to retract any of it.  Grunbaum knows that the man lies, and that is all I want to say about that.  

That aside, I am no more the judge of what is in his heart now, than they are of what is in my heart.  If the man is honestly acknowledging he has been wrong in the way he has talked to people, and is asking for forgiveness, then its my responsibility as a Christian to extend that forgiveness.  

It would be hard not to, when I think of all my Savior has forgiven me for....over and over again.  

As for him "wimping out", there are times in the past I could certainly say that he did that.  But for him to come on a public forum and apologize for past mistakes, is probably the most courageous thing I have seen to date.  Nothing "wimpy" about that.  

Sorry if this answer disappoints, but I will make my observations when asked, as the other questioner did as well.  But I will not take what I read this morning, and use it as an arrow against him.  If the man is being apologetic, then let's just leave it at that for the time being.

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland