Jehovah`s Witness/2 Questions about Adam & Eve

Question
Hello Mr Brenton. How do you do?

There are two important questions about Adam and Eve:
1)How did they sin, since they didnt know whats good or evil?
2)How they were created in God's image, since their eyes were opened and became as gods after eating the fruit("Look, Adam has become as one of us", 3:22)?

Thank you.

Answer
Greeting Chris,

Thank you for those 2 important questions because they affect all mankind. I am going to break  up your questions into 4 parts

First some background understanding

God’s will for mankind was expressed to Adam and his wife in a  positive way, setting forth things they were to do. (Ge 1:26, 28 “26 ...let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.... And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.”) One prohibitive command was given to Adam, that forbidding eating of (or even touching) the tree of the knowledge of good and bad. (Ge 2:16, 17; 3:2, 3 )   Eating was normal, proper, and Adam had been told to “eat to satisfaction” of what God had given him. But God now tested Adam by restricting his eating of the fruit of this one tree . This one tree belonged to God and not man. God thus causing the eating of that fruit to symbolize that the eater comes to a knowledge that enables him to decide for himself what is “good” or what is “bad” for man. Thus, God neither imposed a hardship on the man nor did He attribute to Adam anything beneath his dignity as a human son of God.

QUESTION 1a - How did they sin ?,

First what is the definition of sin.  There are several different Hebrew and Greek words rendered as “sin”  The common Hebrew term translated “sin” is chat·taʼth′; in Greek the usual word is ha·mar·ti′a. In both languages the verb forms ( in Hebrew., cha·taʼ′;  and in Greek., ha·mar·ta′no) mean “miss,” in the sense of missing or not reaching a goal, way, mark, or right point.

Vines Hebrew Dictionary says “   The basic meaning of this verb is illustrated in Judg. 20:16: There were 700 left handed Benjamite soldiers who “could sling stones at a hair breadth, and not miss .” … From this basic meaning comes the word’s chief usage to indicate moral failure toward both God and men, and certain results of such wrongs. … Sin against God is defined in Josh. 7:11: “Israel hath sinned, and they have also transgressed my covenant which I commanded them.…”

Adam and Eve were given one basic law or command that would show that they respected their creator as the one having sovereignty over them and that was not to eat of a particular tree.  When they broke that command they fell short or missed the mark of obedience to their creator, thus they sinned.

QUESTION 1b - since they didn't know whats good or evil ?

The new what was good or evil (right from wrong) by the command that was given them Genesis 2:17 “but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall die." They had a consequent for their disobedience – they would die. The eating of that fruit  symbolised that the eater comes to a knowledge that enables him to decide for himself what is “good” or what is “bad” for man.

QUESTION 2a - How were they made in God image ?

Of all the earthy creations, Adam and Eve were created as free moral agents with the ability to decide for themselves. Animals have no such ability. Man also has the four main attributes of our creator that animals do not have Love, Justice, Power, and wisdom.

Being made in God’s image does not mean that humans were made so as to look like God, but, rather, that God put in the first humans the potential, the ability to exercise His [Gods] own qualities. They became his children. And does not a son tend to act like his father, or a daughter like her mother? In fact, sometimes a son is so much like his father that he is called “a chip off the old block.” And so it should be with us. For recall that we are urged to “become imitators of God, as beloved children.” (Eph. 5:1 )

QUESTION 2b  - “since their eyes were opened and became as gods after eating the fruit("Look, Adam has become as one of us", 3:22) ? “

Genesis 3:22 tells us in what sense they became like God.  “And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil : ”  It was not that hey become “gods” being in the same league as their creator. Adam and Eve had decided that they were capable of determining what was good or bad  They got to know what was good and what was bad in the special sense of now judging for themselves what was good and what was bad. They were idolatrously placing their judgement above God’s, disobediently becoming a law to themselves, as it were, instead of obeying their creator, who has both the right and the wisdom necessary to determine good and bad. They were now like God in the sense of having independently decided for themselves the  knowledge, or standard, of good and bad.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn