Jehovah`s Witness/Brenton Told YOU

Mr. Brenton set you straight. Huh Mr. Jones. What say ye now?

Oh please. You just want to stir up something. I suspect Brother Brenton is a fine brother and a good man too. He was simply explaining that the term "prophet" does not neccesarily mean someone that predicts the future. And he went on to explain how Jehovah's Witnesses see certain past dates as merely "understandings".

A prophet can also be one who tells forth. Or an interpreter through whom the will of a god is expressed. There is nothing mystical or nefarious about being a prophet or even calling oneself a prophet. The Watchtower has claimed itself to be a prophet many times in print, saying things such "they will certainly have to know that there was a prophet in their midst during these last days" and "Who has served as Jehovah's mouthpiece since 1914. None other than Jehovah's Witnesses." Please feel free to find the actual quotes online. They are too easy to find.

Has The Watchtower Society, aka Jehovah's Witnesses, been a prophet? Most certainly! They have told forth the will of God and claimed themselves to be a prophet organization. But Brother Brenton goes on at length to claim that any past dating was just understandings, understandings that Jehovah later corrected.

So I ask you, if a brother in 1902 had said, "Let's not get all worked up about this world is ending in 1914 business. Let's just serve Jehovah to the best of our ability and forget this 1874-1914 stuff. In a few years we'll realize that we got all worked up about a bunch of nonsense and have to put this aside anyway." Would he have been viewed as "that evil slave" for not going along with just an "understanding" from The Watchtower? You know the answer.

How about a brother in 1969 who said, "Hold on a minute. This 6,000 years to 1975 business is rather silly don't you think? Let us go on serving Jehovah and stop this nonsense now before we make fools of ourselves. In a few years we'll have to forget all about it and act like we never mentioned it." Do you think he would be disfellowshipped back then? You know the answer.

The fact is, these very few dates that I mentioned previously were not held by Jehovah's Witness as just some good understanding of scripture. No sir! As proof of point, let any Witness today say that 1914 is speculative nonsense. Will his elders say, "Oh, no big deal, 1914 is just an understanding anyway." You know what will happen.

But, you say, Jehovah corrects all things in his due time. Oh yes. And if He corrects it, was it truth to start with? Was it a telling forth from Jehovah? If the teller-forth needs to be corrected by Jehovah, then according to Deut. 18 it was not a word from Jehovah to start with.

--The WT printed and preached for 40 years that Jesus returned invisibly in 1874. Was this a word from Jehovah?
--The WT printed and preached for 40 years that the end of all things will occur by 1914, and that this prophecy was confirmed by the inch measurements in the Egyptian pyramids. Was this the word of Jehovah?
--The WT printed and preached that the ancient Biblical prophets would return to earth by 1925. Did this prove to be the word of Jehovah?
--The WT printed and preached [I did too] that 6,000 years of mankind's existence would end in 1975 and then spent 7 years making all sorts of lively direction as to how timely this would be for Jehovah to usher in his rest day of 1,000 years in the fall of 1975. Did this prove to be true?

So you aren't able to admit that the WT has been just plain wrong, FALSE, in these things and so many more? Okay, fine. So these were simply "understandings" at the time [not]. Then name one thing that the WT told forth that came true? One example where it has proven to be a true prophet during these last days? Hurry. 2014 is only 8 months away.

Robert Jones - who has neither axe nor grinder, just calling it like it is

Jehovah`s Witness

Robert Jones

1. How the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses is stuctured, how it operates, and how it exercises control over its members. 2. What Jehovah's Witnesses believe, why, and who determines doctrine.

It is a waste of time to argue with Jehovah's Witnesses or to present lists of scriptural proofs to show where they are in error. Jehovah's Witnesses listen only the "Faithful and Discreet Slave" and immediately accept changes that come through the pages of The Watchtower magazine.

I survived 1975. For 32 years, from 1968 to 2000, I embraced and promoted everything coming through Jehovah's sole channel of communication, the "Faithful and Discreet Slave." I accepted doctrinal changes as "new light", meat in due season, from the Slave Class.

Was an elder the last 13 years, WT Study Conductor, Congregation Secretary, Book Study Conductor, and occasional Pioneer. Never "irregular" or "inactive" as the labels go. I have not been reproved or disfellowshipped. I no longer attend meetings or practice the religion. I have not started smoking, drinking, gambling, using drugs, or had any sort of emotional breakdown. How silly.

I am not a servant of the "Faithful and Discreet Slave", the WTBTS, or any other man-made organization. I hope to explain, not defend, the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses. I believe in universal truths such as kindness, humility, charity, and love. I do not believe that God selected a special group, the Jews or CT Russell followers for example, to receive a special message or blessing. I do not believe that one religion has it all right and therfore other religions are wrong. I believe it is a delusion for one group of humans to claim that "God chose us and therefore God did not choose you." I consider spirituality to be a personal endeavor that each person must discover for themselves.

Degree in Computer Programming. Not applicable here.