Jehovah`s Witness/This is for " DEE"

Question
I just read your  question to Mr Jones where you asked if JWs were false prophets.

Mr Jones said “Jehovah's Witnesses have been in the prophesying business for over 100 years.“  So are JWs false prophets.

Answer
This subject of being false prophets is one that really annoys me as to the rubbish opposer’s of JWs will say, and it is certainly one that gets a lot of people talking. To give a direct answer then the answer is

NO. DEFINITELY NOT   we are NOT nor have we ever been false prophets.

Why do ant JW people say so then ?  The reason behind that argument is that over the years there has been several dates mentioned in relation to different events that were thought to have occurred.  The one that most people seem to talk about is 1975.   I am not going to go into all the details as it would take a lot of time to explain everything that was said. I Just want to show why JWs are not false prophets.

The first thing that needs to be done is determine the meaning of the word prophet.  Generally in our modern society a prophet is understood in a very narrow context of a person who predicts the future, and that is what is portrayed about JWs, it is said they predicted future events that did not happen.

BUT that is not the only meaning of the word prophet. In Bible times a prophet was one that spoke on behalf of another.  That is what JWs are. We speak on behalf of another, that one being our creator.

But first, an example of such a prophet  who predicted future events was the 16th century French man Michel de Nostredame, more commonly known by the name Nostradamus.  Most of “his writtings deal with disasters, such as plagues, earthquakes, wars, floods, invasions, murders, droughts, and battle. ....[He] has been credited, for the most part in in hindsight , with predicting numerous events in world history, from the Great Fire of London, and the rise of Napoleon and Adolf Hitler, to the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center. “
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostradamus  (bold mine)

Notice I highlighted in hindsight ,. That is because the only time that I am aware that his writings have been seen to have predicted something was after the event.

People have tried to decipher his writings ever since they were written.  One such decipher says “Nostradamus prophesied that World War III would occur on July 4th of 1999, the feast of the "eagle" or USA, with Russia and Iran launching nuclear and chemical assaults upon Western and Southern Europe. And China shall attack Russia and Asia around 2025 AD. American troops shall pay a heavy bloody price. This World War shall last about thirty years and one-thirds to two-thirds of mankind shall perish.”
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~sharad/nostradamus/nostradamus.htm

Did we see World War 3 start in 1999?  No.  Was that a failed prophecy? Depends on your point of view.  Are you looking at the explanation from the point of view of the one trying to decipher it, or from the one that penned it.

Now the people that have tried to understand his writings, and that came up with the “prophecy” of World War 3, are we going to call them false prophets. I would not. Why not?  They are not the originators of that prophecy.  They have tried to understand Nostradamus's writings and that is the explanation they came up with.  His writings are very obscure.  Here is an example of his writings

“When the fork is supported by two pillars, With six half-horns and six open scissors: The very potent Lord, heir to the toads, Will then subjugate to himself the entire world.”It is interpreted by , Henry James Foman, notice that he has to assume some things, for example what the fork is and what the half horns are what the open scissors are.

““The first two lines indicate a date. When the fork, V, is sustained by two pillars, they make an M, the Roman numeral for one thousand. Six half-horns are CCCCCC, the numeral for six hundred; six open scissors, XXXXXX, make sixty. In other words, in 1660 the great Lord of France, heir to the Merovingians—whose [emblem] was the toad . . .—will be the greatest monarch in the world. . . . in 1660 Louis XIV married Maria Theresa of Spain . . . Early in 1661 . . . Louis, at twenty-two, became virtual autocrat of France, the Grand Monarque of the civilized world”

The Bible in contrast to  Nostradamus is quite clear in telling of events that are to happen.   When it uses symbols it explains what those symbols are. For example In Daniel chapter 2  we read of  a statue of many materials Gold, Silver, Copper, Iron, Clay. Those different materials  identified as nations.  Those nations are also represented as beasts in Daniel 7 and in Chapter 8 these beasts are identified.

Some prophecies were given a definite time for an event.  For example the Jews new that the messiah was to appear when he did because of Bible prophecy.  In that case it does give a year when Jesus would be manifest as the Messiah. (Daniel 9:24-27 )  

It often gives signs to look for leading up to an event.   Jesus gave signs of the coming destruction of Jerusalem and told his disciple what signs to look for.  Those that obeyed him were saved the turmoil. Hunger, and destruction of the siege by Rome.

Jehovah has given us signs as to what to look for in regard to the end of this system and Jesus wielding his authority as Gods executioners. In trying to understand more fully what  is involved the JWs have had different understandings of Bible prophecies that relate to this end time.  That is ALL they have been. UNDERSTANDINGS of what God has said.  They have NOT  prophecies of their own back. Nothing the Witnesses have published can be called their own original work. (as is the case with Nostradamus). Nothing that the Witnesses have published is new.  It is just understanding of previous written words.  In the case of 1925 and the return to the patriarchs  of old, that was a complete misunderstanding of the Bibles use of Jubilees.

How are JW's like prophets that prophet was one that speak on behalf of our creator? In that  we are sounding the warning of repentance and the drawing close of the Greta day of God the almighty.  It is just as in the days of the first century. The Christians then were admonished by Jesus
to  “Keep on the watch, therefore, because YOU do not know on what day YOUR Lord is coming”.(Matthew 24:42, Matt 25:13, Mark 13:32-36 )  Later in writing to the Corinthians Paul told them that “the time left is reduced” (1 Corinthians 7:29 )  Paul also told Timothy “preach the word, be at it urgently in favorable season, in troublesome season.” (2 Timothy 4:2

If those sort of warnings were valid back then, then they are even more so now that the “great fear-inspiring day of Jehovah” is nearer.

The Awake magazine in 1995 said this in the article “Can You Trust God’s Promises?”  about the different  understanding of dates that had to be corrected - “The wrong conclusions were due, not to malice or to unfaithfulness to Christ, but to a fervent desire to realize the fulfillment of God’s promises in their own time .... . No matter what adjustments we would have to make from time to time in our views , that would not change the gracious provision of the ransom and God’s promise of eternal life”  -   (Bold mine)  

Dee if you want a full explanation of what prompted the various date please ask a JW not someone that is against us who has an ax to grind.

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn