Jehovah`s Witness/The God Who Gives Peace

Question
QUESTION: Why Is It Appropriate That Jehovah Is Called "The God Who Gives Peace". Please show me some bible examples and also examples fro our daily life that it is appropriate to be called that way.

ANSWER: Hello and thanks for writing...

There are many scriptures that speak of 'the God who gives peace' I'll cite a few here:

Romans 15:13 "May the God who gives hope fill ​YOU​ with all joy and peace by ​YOUR​ believing, that ​YOU​ may abound in hope with power of holy spirit."

Romans 15:33 "May the God who gives peace be with all of ​YOU. Amen."

Romans 16:20 "For his part, the God who gives peace will crush Satan under ​YOUR​ feet shortly. May the undeserved kindness of our Lord Jesus be with ​YOU."

Jehovah God is love (1 John 4:8), and he shares that love with his people, his love for the people he created is so great that he sent his beloved son Jesus to die on our behalf, (John 3:16; Matt 3:17; Ro 5:8)  before any of us were even born he put this into place so that we could be reconciled to God and have the opportunity that Adam took from us. (Gen. 3:15)  God's purpose to continue showing his love for his creation has not stopped because a few of his creations went awry.

Really think about the depth of what God did for us....the Bible tells us that God loved his son (John 3:35), yet he loved us enough to send him as a ransom to die for us. We know that Jehovah has feelings and we can cause him pain by our actions (Ps 78:41).

But we can also cause him to rejoice by our actions (Prov. 27:11).

When ones who make Jehovah's heart rejoice by doing his will and not their own, in basis letting Jehovah decide for them what is right and what is wrong according to Scripture, then we can be constituted as his friend, just like Abraham was.  (James 2:23)  

We can see with Abraham how when there came about a dispute among his herdsmen and that of his nephew Lot and his herdsmen, (Gen. 13:7) Abraham took the course of peace.  Abraham said to Lot, "Please, do not let any quarreling continue between me and you and between my herdsmen and your herdsmen," Abraham told his nephew, "for we men are brothers." The patriarch continued: "Is not the whole land available to you? Please, separate from me. If you go to the left, then I will go to the right; but if you go to the right, then I will go to the left." Lot chose the most fertile part of the land, but Abraham held no grudge against him. (Gen. 13:8-11) Later on when Lot was taken captive by invading armies, Abraham did not hesitate to rescue his nephew. (Gen. 14:14-16)

There are many others that were peace loving, Abraham's son Isaac in Genesis chapter 26, Isaac's son Jacob in Genesis chapter 37, and how Joseph didn't take revenge on his brothers for selling him into slavery Genesis chapter 42, 45, and 50.  

"All the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction," wrote Paul, "that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope." (Rom. 15:4)   

So when we read the many examples of faithful peacekeeping servants of Jehovah who we can clearly see chose the peaceful route, we do good to imitate those examples in our dealings with people today, because we know those ones were approved by God and that they loved God and kept his commandments and reflected the peace of their God Jehovah.

Today's examples of Jehovah giving peace is with his Witnesses of today.  We as Jehovah's Witnesses are united the world over, if one has ever witnessed our building projects, attended our meetings and conventions, there is no question that love and peace abound! There is no racial barriers, but all strive to display the fruitages of Jehovah's spirit,

Gal. 5:22,23 ".....the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long‐suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, 23 mildness, self‐control. Against such things there is no law."

The love that we have for our God Jehovah and for our neighbors compels us to live our lives as such, and peace will abound as a result!

That's why prayer to Jehovah is so very, very important, we should "pray incessantly" the Bible says. (1 Thessalonians 5:17,18)  What does that mean?  Well if we can count how many times we've prayed to God in a day, then it's not enough.  

When we pray for God's Holy Spirit in helping us to cultivate the fruitages of his spirit, we need to pray all the time, not just once, or at meal times, his holy spirit doesn't just stay on us for all times, we have to pray for it, it's given as needed, and the Bible says God gives it to his servants who ask for it! (Luke 11:13)  So peace being one of the things given, can we see the importance of our praying to Jehovah all the time, abundantly! (Luke 18:1) for peace and other godly qualities?  Yes, most definitely!  

When we do that and we live our lives in harmony with God our peace will be abundant, not just in how we treat others but with any trials that we may face, God will give you that calmness in order to endure, think straight, and stay faithful.  Outer peace and inner peace!

Our God is awe inspiring, Jehovah is the most magnificent, wonderful, loving God who gives peace and joy amidst all storms, who takes you by the hand and leads you to benefit yourself, whose love is genuine, real, faithful, and loyal even though it's undeserved.  He asks us to do His will, but he doesn't leave us to ourselves, no, he helps us to serve Him, to remain faithful, he gives us faith, can we ask for anything better than that?  And to think that people actually deem him as cruel by believing the opposite of who Jehovah is!  Jehovah is my friend, my provider, my protector, He is my God! (Romans 8:32; Heb. 6:10; 1 Pet. 5:10; Ps. 4:1; Ps 34:6,8; Ps. 145:17; Ro 5:5, Ps. 97:10; Ps 136:1-26)

In closing, I'll leave you with my favorite Scripture, meditate on what it really entails,  

Phil. 4:6,7 "Do not be anxious over anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving let ​YOUR​ petitions be made known to God;7 and the peace of God that excels all thought will guard ​YOUR​ hearts and ​YOUR​ mental powers by means of Christ Jesus."

Hope this helps

Sister T

jw.org

QUESTION: Thanks so much on the above. However, since I am not so good at bible understanding. Can you explain to me on Phil. 4,7 further? What is actually the verse is telling us in a way of peace of God? I hope you won't mind for asking.

ANSWER: Hello and thanks so much for writing...

Of course I do not mind you asking!

As the scripture I cited before at Romans 15:33 "May the God who gives peace be with all of ​YOU. Amen."

That helps us to see that Jehovah gives peace to his loyal servants and that peace that he gives us helps us to endure various trials.  

Phil 4:6,7 "Do not be anxious over anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving let ​YOUR​ petitions be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God that excels all thought will guard ​YOUR​ hearts and ​YOUR​ mental powers by means of Christ Jesus."

This scripture is telling us how the peace of God helps us.  It helps us to see that we don't have to worry ourselves sick or stress ourselves out but that we should take all our concerns to Jehovah in prayer, we also thank him in prayer, and when we go to Jehovah with our burdens he in-turn gives us inner peace that goes beyond our thinking and guards our hearts by giving us peace or calmness of heart, then we can in-turn make better decisions because our thinking will not be clouded and we will not be so weighed down.

For example, let's say you have a heavy load that you carry on your shoulders all the time, it's so heavy you can't even stand up straight, and can barely walk, that load consists of different trials that you go through in this crooked world, and when you pray to Jehovah it's like he comes and lifts that load right up off your shoulders, and carries it for you, and you are able to stand up straight and walk freely.  

That's what the peace of God does for his loyal servants.  

Hope that helps....

Sister T

QUESTION: Thanks for the answer. At least I can now understand most of what you said.
However, please let have one more follow up question. As mentioned earlier, Gal 5: 22,23 "...the fruitage of the spirit is .....Against such things there is no law." What does it mean by against such things there is no law? what law?

Answer
Hello and thanks for writing....

Well we know that Jehovah gave his people laws back in the time of Moses and why we call them the Mosaic Law, but when Jesus came and died for us, he did away with the Law of Moses. (Col 2:14; Eph 2:15) So we as Jehovah's Witnesses are not under those laws, but under the law of Christ, (John 13:34; Gal 6:2)

And in saying there is no law regarding the doing of those things in Gal 5:22,23, there is no limit to showing love, having peace, being joyful, being mild, kind, good, long suffering, having faith, self control, all those are basically unbounded.  There is no law from Jehovah that says you should only have this much love, or you should only have a certain amount of faith or a certain amount of long suffering, no as much as it is called for we should display those qualities.

Hope that helps

Sister T

jw.org

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T