Jehovah`s Witness/Hell fire

Hello Sister T. How was your day? I hope all is well. I study the Bible with JW's and I began to know more truths about Jehovah and Jesus Christ. I do not believe in 'eternal burning hellfire' yet, this is my question. What is eternal burning hellfire? How do you explain Revelation 20:10, 14-15 and also other Bible verses who they connect to 'eternal burning hellfire.' Please help those who want to know the truth about the word of God, the Bible. I will going to forward your answer to the 'eternal burning hellfire' believer. And I hope they will see the truth. Thank you very much. May Jehovah wrote the answer for them. Take care.

Hello my soon to be brother, I'm glad you are studying and learning Bible truths, that means Jehovah himself has drawn you.  Enjoy and never take that grand privilege for granted, it truly means life everlasting in view!  

I'm doing wonderful and I hope you are too, thanks for asking.

Does this person believe what the Bible says?  If so, do they believe that God's word takes precedence over what any person says?  We can be assured that God's word the Bible is in complete harmony and has no contradictions.  To be in harmony, it would mean that the entire Bible agrees within all the verses.  And God's word is in complete harmony.  So when there arises a contradiction, one needs to go with the Bible instead of the word of man and one must know that if our thinking contradicts what the Bible says, it's not the Bible but our thinking that is off, and our thinking needs to change and be brought in harmony with the entire Bible.

Rev. 20:10, 14-15 (NWT)

"10 And the Devil who was misleading them was hurled into the lake of fire and sulphur, where both the wild beast and the false prophet [already were]; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever."

"14-15  And death and Ha′des were hurled into the lake of fire. This means the second death, the lake of fire. 15 Furthermore, whoever was not found written in the book of life was hurled into the lake of fire."

Rev. 20:10, 14-15 (KJV)

"10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."

"14-15 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

So from those two Bible Translations, we see that The Devil is cast into the lake of fire, death and ha'des/hell is cast into the lake of fire.

Let's see what the Bible says about Hell.  Which was translated from the Hebrew word Sheol and the Greek word Ha'des. Sheol and Ha'des means grave, it's the common grave of mankind.  In Job 14:13-15, we see he prayed to go to Sheol, the Hebrew word used here is Sheol, and in the Kings James Version Bible, it's rendered Grave:

KJV Job 14:13 O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me!"

ESV Job 14:13 Oh that you would hide me in Sheol, that you would conceal me until your wrath be past, that you would appoint me a set time, and remember me!"

Let's see if Sheol/Ha'des/Hell is a place of fiery torment, we know that Job wanted to escape the pain he was going through at that time in his life, would he pray to go to Sheol/hell to be tormented?  That makes no sense.  He would not do that, he knew what Sheol was, it was the grave, and he basically wanted to die, go to his grave, so his pain would stop, not begin.  But he also talked about a resurrection, for he said that God would appoint a time and remember him!  Job didn't speak of going to heaven, or burning in Sheol/hell.  

KJV Acts 2:25-27, KJV: David speaketh concerning him [Jesus Christ], . . . Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption."

The fact that God did not "leave" Jesus in hell implies that Jesus was in hell, or Ha'des, at least for a time, does it not?

The Bible helps us to see that Sheol/Ha'des/Hell is NOT a place of fiery torment forever and ever.  Those Scriptures in Revelation are the very ones that prove it's not.   

People believe that the Devil will be in hell, a lake of fire, torturing people forever, but we read at Rev. 12:12 that the Devil has a short time left to live, and is why he came down with great anger because he knows he has a short period of time. The Devil won't be around to torture people in a fiery place of torment forever and ever, his time is short says the Bible.

NWT Rev. 12:12 "On this account be glad, ​YOU​ heavens and ​YOU​ who reside in them! Woe for the earth and for the sea, because the Devil has come down to ​YOU, having great anger, knowing he has a short period of time.”

Also remember that Spirit creatures, which Satan is one of, can't burn or die in fire, but the lake of fire is where he will meet his demise, so what is the lake of fire?  The Bible tells us in vs. 14, it's the second death, what is the second death?  It's everlasting destruction, meaning there is no chance to be remembered and brought back, no resurrection hope.

KJV 2 Thes 1:9  "Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power"

Also we see that Death and Ha'des/Hell is thrown into the lake of fire too.  Now this is where reason comes in at, because Death is a condition, death cannot be burned up, and then it says, Ha'des/Hell is thrown into the lake of fire, so Hell is thrown into Hell?  Makes no sense, why? because the Lake of fire is not a literal lake of fire, it's what the Bible says it is, the second death, everlasting destruction.  So that helps us to see that Death and the grave of mankind will be destroyed forever. How?  Because of the application of Jesus' ransom sacrifice.

Also if Hell is a literal place of fiery torment and torture forever and ever, how come the Bible says people will come out of can one come out of something that they are supposed to be condemned to be there in torment forever?

KJV Rev. 20:13 "And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works."

To answer, it's because hell is just the grave, as the dead will be resurrected from the grave (Sheol/ha'des/hell)

That disproves any fiery hell torturing people forever.

Also we know that our God is a God of Love, for “God is love.” (1 John 4:8)

Think of this, imperfect people in our justice system do not make a person pay twice for the same crime, it's called in the U.S. Double Jeopardy....if you were acquitted of a crime, you cannot be tried for that crime a second time.  

In saying that God punishes people in Hell forever, for the short amount of time they sinned while on earth is calling God hateful, cruel, and unjust and making him lower then us imperfect people.

Because we read at Romans 6:7:

KJV "7 For he that is dead is freed from sin."

This tells us that when you die, you are FREED from sin.

So why would you need to go to Hell, why would God punish a person AGAIN a second time for sins he was freed from when he died?  He doesn't contradict himself.  If Adam and Eve had never sinned they would still be alive on earth to this very day!

Also we read at Romans 6:23:

KJV "23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

So this let's us know that our death is the wages, or payment, of sin.  Again, when a person dies, their sins are paid for.  Their very death pays for all the sins they committed while alive.  So to say that God not only punishes people TWICE for their sins that they committed while alive, they also accuse him of torturing them forever!  But in that same scripture we see that God gives a gift, eternal or everlasting life through Jesus, not a fiery tormenting hell.

This is what God said would happen to sinners, because Adam and Eve sinned by being disobedient to God:

KJV Genesis 3:19 "In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return."

The Bible says to dust you will return, not burn in a fiery hell.

Let's look at Torment, in ancient times, people called jailers, Tormentors, so being tormented can mean they are imprisoned or in bonds by something, just like people say a person is in the bonds of death, it just means they will be in that state for all time. (Compare Matt 18:34 KJV) It doesn't mean here that a person will be tormented or tortured after death because Ecc. 9:5 tells us that the dead do not KNOW ANY THING.  So to be able to feel pain, or to even know you are feeling pain to be tortured, you would have to know it, be conscious of it, but what does the Bible clearly say the dead knows?  Let's read:

KJV Ecc 9:5 "5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."

The Dead know not any thing!

KJV Ps. 146:4 "His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish."

So hell fire clearly is not taught in the Bible.

And think about this too, would you punish your own child by holding his hands over fire for a a whole day because he did something wrong?  No loving parent would do such a thing, not even for a second, most parents would give their lives for their kids because they love them.  Well Jehovah loves us and is why he gave his only begotten son, Jesus, to die for us so that we may have life, (John 3:16)  Hellfire also nullifies the Resurrection, because God said there would be a resurrection of the righteous/just and the unrighteous/unjust (Acts 24:15)

If the unrighteous/unjust is supposed to go to hell then who are the unrighteous/unjust that get resurrected?  It can't be both we need to go with what the Bible says.

Remember Satan says and does the exact opposite of what God says and does, God said Adam and Eve would surely die if they ate from a certain tree:

KJV Gen. 2:17 "But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

But Satan came along and said just the opposite of what God said:

KJV Gen 3:4 "And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:"

Well Satan does the same today, he teaches the opposite of what God teaches, and just like Eve people are still being deceived, believing they will never die, by saying the soul is immortal when God said souls die (Ez 18:4).  That God is not love but tortures people forever.

There is no hellfire...that's the Devil's religion, teachings of demons and his doctrines, the exact opposite of what God teaches.

KJV 1 Tim 4:1 "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;"

A person need ask themselves, whose side do I want to be on, God's or Satan's, it's only two sides.  

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more info, we have a tract about Hellfire that I could put up here for you as well, it's very informative.

Have a good day

Sister T  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T

Please click here--> For your Free Home Bible Study

I can answer questions related to Jehovah's Witnesses and the Bible. I love learning the truth from the Bible and helping others to learn that truth as well. I don't know everything but will answer from the Bible, I like to use illustrations as well to help a person relate to what is being said. The Bible has the last say so over any person.

I am an active baptized Jehovah's Witness and Jehovah is Almighty God,(Ps. 83:18) and his Son Jesus Christ died so that everyone exercising faith in him may not be destroyed but have everlasting life. (John 3:16). I support my fellow Witnesses on this board who are real, and Jehovah's worldwide visible organization, including the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. As God is not a God of disorder, and there could not be order if there were not ones to take the lead. Taking the lead and having a leader is not the same, our leader is Jesus Christ, and in order to have unity and order, there has to be arrangements in place. As the first century Christians had, there were men taking the lead, (Acts 6:1-6) as with Moses, (Exodus 18:21) and in our day, in following with Bible truths, we do the same. When people twist that around to us worshiping men, it is just a straight out lie! Why would the Scripture at 1 Tim. 3:1-10, 12, 13 give the criteria for men reaching out for an office of overseer if that was not meant to be? (Phil 1:1, Acts 20:17, 28, Eph. 4:11, 12, 2 Cor. 3:4-6). If we were not supposed to have men who take the lead, why was this scripture penned? James 5:14-15 "Is there anyone sick among YOU? Let him call the older men of the congregation to [him], and let them pray over him, greasing [him] with oil in the name of Jehovah. 15 And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him."

If you have legit questions and want to know the truth, please ask, but if you are here to spread your lies and twists of the scriptures or get your falsehoods out, you may get rejected! The truth is from the Bible, if what you say does not harmonize with the Bible then what you say is wrong! Context and other scriptures help determine scriptures that may stump us, let scripture interpret scripture. The Bible does not contradict itself, so if what you are being taught or if what you are teaching makes it seem like the Bible is contradictory, remember it's not the Bible it's the man-made teaching! Doctrines of men! Mark 7:6, 7 "He said to them: “Isaiah aptly prophesied about YOU hypocrites, as it is written, ‘This people honor me with [their] lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 7 It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach as doctrines commands of men." (also Romans 10:2, 3)

Matthew 24:14 says "And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." We are doing that today, we are living in times of Bible Prophecy and as a Jehovah's Witness, we have the privilege to be apart of a prophecy spoken by Jesus himself! The good news of the Kingdom. Ask yourself, what kingdom? then read Daniel 2:44! It's a real government. Take heed now! Listening to men over God will mean your life.(Prov 3:5,6, Ps. 146:3) A lie will never become truth, No matter how long or how many people say it or speak it. Learn what the Bible really teaches, seek out Jehovah's ways, serving God in truth is only acceptable to him,(John 4:23, 24) you can not be serving God acceptably if what you believe is a lie! Pray for understanding and ask Jehovah to search your heart and draw you! (John 6:44, 65) Now is the time to be with the people who are called by Jehovah's name! (Acts 15:14, 17, Isa. 43:7, 10, Zech 8:23)