Jehovah`s Witness/Snubbed

Question
Hello, I have a brother who converted to a Jehovah Witness years ago when he was very young and met an older lady that was a witness. They live nearby and we rarely speak to them. My wife will, on occasion, call his wife to chat and I do the same with my brother. He will call our house, but only when his wife is not home. We find that odd. She wears the pants in the family and I guess because we are not Witnesses he is forbidden to associate with us. She keeps their children from our children. Our kids are about the same age and have not spoken to their cousins in years. We invite them to visit, but they always politely decline. We are offended by their actions, especially since they are always eager to accept financial help from our side of the family. It it hurtful to see my brother act this way. He was not raised like this. Our family finds it all a little hypocritical. If I am good enough to speak to on Sat mornings when you come to my door uninvited, why am I not good enough to spend time with outside of the "service" visits? Speaks volumes. Thanks for your time.

Answer
HE WILL CALL OUR HOUSE, BUT ONLY WHEN HIS WIFE IS NOT HOME. WE FIND THAT ODD.

mmmm; there is nothing in the bible/our beliefs, that says he cant visit his brother? What your  brother is doing has nothing to do with being a Witness :¬)

SHE WEARS THE PANTS IN THE FAMILY AND I GUESS BECAUSE WE ARE NOT WITNESSES HE IS FORBIDDEN TO ASSOCIATE WITH US.

IF that’s the case, she is wrong on both counts, 1. Witness women are not meant to “wear the pants” & 2. she shouldn’t be “forbidding” her husband from seeing his family & I might add, he shouldn’t be listening to her anyway.

SHE KEEPS THEIR CHILDREN FROM OUR CHILDREN, WE INVITE THEM TO VISIT, BUT THEY ALWAYS POLITELY DECLINE.

I am the only one in my family (3 brothers) that is a Witness & you can be sure when we (my husband & I) receive an invite from my brother we are eager to go & spend time with my brother & his wife. So I can assure you their actions are not indicative of Witnesses in general.

However I must add, it very much depends on what kind of family we have, for instance if my brothers were heavy drinkers or swore a lot I wouldn’t feel comfortable in their company for long periods of time, so I would spend less time with them, as I would any associate with bad habits, but when we have a nice family who respects our beliefs as we respect theirs, its lovely to be in their company.

WE ARE OFFENDED BY THEIR ACTIONS, IT IS HURTFUL TO SEE MY BROTHER ACT THIS WAY.

I can understand what your saying; I would be offended & hurt also if my brothers appeared to snub me, I can only assure you, Witnesses are lovely people because they are trying to apply what God’s word says; applying the bible makes for better husbands, fathers, mothers, & children.

HE WAS NOT RAISED LIKE THIS. OUR FAMILY FINDS IT ALL A LITTLE HYPOCRITICAL.

I’m sure he wasn’t, so when you add to his upbringing, God’s standards as set out in the scriptures, he should be a lovely man with godly qualities by now. Witnesses are NOT taught to ignore family, they are taught the bible which says to; “ do good toward all”  

IF I AM GOOD ENOUGH TO SPEAK TO ON SAT MORNINGS WHEN YOU COME TO MY DOOR UNINVITED, WHY AM I NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO SPEND TIME WITH OUTSIDE OF THE "SERVICE" VISITS?

I couldn’t agree more :¬) all I can say is;. Jehovah is a “happy God” & he desires his people to be “happy”

Husbands are encouraged to love their wife, and treat her as Jesus treats his congregation.

Wives are taught to submit to the headship of their husband, and follow the example of the capable wife described at Proverbs 31:10-31.

Parents are taught to train their children. (Proverbs 22:6)

Fathers are urged to ‘preside over your household in a fine manner.’ (1Timothy 3:4, 5; 5:8)

And children are taught to obey your parents. (Colossians 3:20)

Its not for me to judge, I don’t know all the circumstances, I only know your side of the story, so please don’t think I am taking sides, I am merely trying to answer as objectively as possible.

All the best
Brenda  

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenda Martin