Jehovah`s Witness/Armageddon

Explain the year 1975 in which ALL Those who were not JW's would be killed simply because they were not JW's.
Did this Prophecy come to pass?

Obviously, the wicked were not destroyed in 1975. If they would had been we would not be having this little Q & A interchange in 2013.

First, though, the Watchtower’s 1975 snafu was not a prophecy, as such; but ironically, the fiasco is part of prophecy, as I will explain.

Although it is easy to look back now and ridicule, there was actually some biblical basis for it, which many thinking persons accepted as valid.

According to the Bible’s internal chronology Adam was created about 4,026 years before the common era. That means that 1975 marked the 6,000th year since God blew into his nostrils the breath of life. Since every day of the week has the same amount of hours and minutes, it stands to reason that God’s great creative “days” – spanning thousands of years – are also of equal duration; otherwise, why call them “days”?

That being the case, and seeing that in the letter of Hebrews Paul made it clear that there is a great sabbath day that still lies ahead for the people of God, which Revelation reveals to be 1,000 years long, it seems reasonable to folks like us who try to figure out stuff like this, that the present seventh day of creation will conclude at the 7,000-year mark – meaning, this world will be destroyed on the 6,000th year from the beginning of the seventh day. At least that was the underlying thinking of the leadership of Jehovah's Witnesses back then. And it may well be valid.

But here's the thing: there is no way to determine when the seventh day actually began. We only know when Adam was created but not Eve, and obviously Jehovah did not cease from his creative work until Eve came on the scene.

And it is obvious by the Genesis account that Adam was alone for some time, during which time he observed and named all the animals in the garden of Eden, until at last he realized that he was all alone; at which point Jehovah made a helper for him. But the point is, the length of time Adam was alone is unknowable. And so that makes the beginning point of the seventh day of God's great Sabbath also unknowable.

But Jehovah's Witnesses were nonetheless seduced by the notion that 6000 years of human history ended in 1975. Call it irrational exuberance, or whatever.

Interestingly, the last chapter of the gospel of John records a similar error that the apostles suffered. Right before Jesus ascended back to heaven Peter had asked the Lord what was going to happen to a certain disciple, apparently John. Jesus’ reply was ‘if he is to remain until I return, what is that to you?’ And so the apostles understood that to mean that John would be alive when Jesus returned.  And consequently the account says that the word went out from among them that Jesus would return before John passed away.

But writing his gospel some 60-years later, apparently as the last living apostle, John set the record straight, admitting that they misunderstood Jesus. And, so, all during the 1st century new believers were undoubtedly told by either the apostles directly or by other disciples, that those who had seen and heard Jesus speak gave testimony that Jesus would return before the last apostle had died.

Obviously, the misunderstanding that afflicted Jehovah's Witnesses was not unique to them.

But there is another factor to consider as well. Jesus foretold that prior to his actual return there would be those claiming that ‘the due time had approached.’ This is exactly the message of the Watchtower and has been for decades.

But this aspect is not brought about by mere human error. It is actually a result of the overreach of Satan and his influence upon certain men, whom Paul collectively called “the man of lawlessness.” Paul warned Christians not to be seduced by the official sounding pronouncements emanating from this man heralding that the presence of Christ has begun and the day of Jehovah is here. This development is called “an operation of error,” which Jehovah allows to go to them who know the truth in order to test their love of the truth at the moment of the actual return of Christ.

Although Jehovah’s Witnesses may not yet appreciate this aspect of prophecy, the follies such as 1975 are, nonetheless, preliminary to the authentic return of Jesus Christ and the ultimate war of Armageddon.

I've written more in depth on this phenomenon in articles such as Jehovah's Witnesses and the Man of Lawlessness.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Robert King

I can answer general Bible questions or questions regarding the teachings of the Watchtower Society, and questions and issues among Jehovah's Witnesses. Special interest is in Bible prophecy and the return of Christ.

Have been a pioneer minister of Jehovah's Witnesses during the 80's and an appointed elder for about 10 years. Also, I was an approved "expert" on All Experts some years ago, but could not keep up with the questions. I was disfellowshipped for exposing the Watchtower's 10-year partnership with the United Nations and for publishing the book Jehovah Himself Has Become King.

The Jerusalem above

Self published a 500+ page book called Jehovah Himself Has Become King, which is an in-depth exploration of Bible prophecy.

Always a pupil, always a teacher