Jehovah`s Witness/associations

Are Jehovah Witnesses "encouraged" to not associate with non Witnesses?

Hi and thanks for writing, I see this question has been asked to multiple people on this

It's more to we are encouraged to LIMIT association with non Witnesses....let's see why....

What we are advised is to listen to Jehovah and OBEY HIM. (Jer. 7:23,26) So we are warned about the effects of associating with people who are bad associations.  I mean there could be a JW who is a bad associate. It really goes way deeper, because it also involves people who ARE Jehovah's Witnesses as well who may not be doers of the word. (James 1:22-25)

However, there will be things that are OK with people who don't serve Jehovah, regardless of how good a person they are, that are not OK with Bible standards.  

A person could put themselves in positions that may cause them to be involved with, or condone immoral and other Bible principles that the Bible lays out that are wrong.  See this world is lying in the power of the wicked one (1 John 5:19) the viewpoints of those who are part of this world will be as such.  It's in the air (Eph 2:1,2) According to the Bible we are to be no part of the world and to not be a fashioned after it. (John 17:14; Romans 12:2)

In order for us to listen to Jehovah, we need to read his word the Bible.  And in order for us to Obey, we'd have to do what is said from the Bible.  So your question should be what does God say about unbelievers and association with them.  We follow the Bible's view regardless of if it's popular or not.  The most popular view is not always right, and the right view not always the most popular.

First, let's be clear, we know that we have to be around ones who do not serve Jehovah, and we don't treat them like they have the plague, or like we are better then anyone else either,  we just don't become running buddies, we have complete and totally different goals in life and how we live our lives.

Consider a few Scriptural principles. The first one that may come to mind is found at 1 Corinthians 15:33, which says: “Bad associations spoil useful habits.” Does adhering to this principle require that you shun unbelievers entirely? The Scriptural answer to that question is no. After all, the apostle Paul himself showed loving consideration for “people of all sorts,” including unbelievers. (1 Corinthians 9:22) The very nature of Christianity demands that we show an interest in others—including those who do not share our beliefs. (Romans 10:13-15) Indeed, how can we follow the counsel to “work what is good toward all” if we isolate ourselves from people who might need our help?—Galatians 6:10.

1 Cor. 5:9,10 "In my letter I wrote YOU to quit mixing in company with fornicators, 10 not [meaning] entirely with the fornicators of this world or the greedy persons and extortioners or idolaters. Otherwise, YOU would actually have to get out of the world. 11 But now I am writing YOU to quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man."

Prov. 13:20 "He that is walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly"

Eph. 5:3-5 "Let fornication and uncleanness of every sort or greediness not even be mentioned among YOU, just as it befits holy people; 4 neither shameful conduct nor foolish talking nor obscene jesting, things which are not becoming, but rather the giving of thanks. 5 For YOU know this, recognizing it for yourselves, that no fornicator or unclean person or greedy person -which means being an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of the Christ and of God"

2 Cor. 6:14-18 "Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? 15 Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Be′li‧al? Or what portion does a faithful person have with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols? For we are a temple of a living God; just as God said: “I shall reside among them and walk among [them], and I shall be their God, and they will be my people.” 17 “‘Therefore get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’”; “‘and I will take ​YOU​ in.’” 18 “‘And I shall be a father to ​YOU, and ​YOU​ will be sons and daughters to me,’ says Jehovah the Almighty.”

Have nice day!

Sister T  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T

Please click here--> For your Free Home Bible Study

I can answer questions related to Jehovah's Witnesses and the Bible. I love learning the truth from the Bible and helping others to learn that truth as well. I don't know everything but will answer from the Bible, I like to use illustrations as well to help a person relate to what is being said. The Bible has the last say so over any person.

I am an active baptized Jehovah's Witness and Jehovah is Almighty God,(Ps. 83:18) and his Son Jesus Christ died so that everyone exercising faith in him may not be destroyed but have everlasting life. (John 3:16). I support my fellow Witnesses on this board who are real, and Jehovah's worldwide visible organization, including the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. As God is not a God of disorder, and there could not be order if there were not ones to take the lead. Taking the lead and having a leader is not the same, our leader is Jesus Christ, and in order to have unity and order, there has to be arrangements in place. As the first century Christians had, there were men taking the lead, (Acts 6:1-6) as with Moses, (Exodus 18:21) and in our day, in following with Bible truths, we do the same. When people twist that around to us worshiping men, it is just a straight out lie! Why would the Scripture at 1 Tim. 3:1-10, 12, 13 give the criteria for men reaching out for an office of overseer if that was not meant to be? (Phil 1:1, Acts 20:17, 28, Eph. 4:11, 12, 2 Cor. 3:4-6). If we were not supposed to have men who take the lead, why was this scripture penned? James 5:14-15 "Is there anyone sick among YOU? Let him call the older men of the congregation to [him], and let them pray over him, greasing [him] with oil in the name of Jehovah. 15 And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him."

If you have legit questions and want to know the truth, please ask, but if you are here to spread your lies and twists of the scriptures or get your falsehoods out, you may get rejected! The truth is from the Bible, if what you say does not harmonize with the Bible then what you say is wrong! Context and other scriptures help determine scriptures that may stump us, let scripture interpret scripture. The Bible does not contradict itself, so if what you are being taught or if what you are teaching makes it seem like the Bible is contradictory, remember it's not the Bible it's the man-made teaching! Doctrines of men! Mark 7:6, 7 "He said to them: “Isaiah aptly prophesied about YOU hypocrites, as it is written, ‘This people honor me with [their] lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 7 It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach as doctrines commands of men." (also Romans 10:2, 3)

Matthew 24:14 says "And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." We are doing that today, we are living in times of Bible Prophecy and as a Jehovah's Witness, we have the privilege to be apart of a prophecy spoken by Jesus himself! The good news of the Kingdom. Ask yourself, what kingdom? then read Daniel 2:44! It's a real government. Take heed now! Listening to men over God will mean your life.(Prov 3:5,6, Ps. 146:3) A lie will never become truth, No matter how long or how many people say it or speak it. Learn what the Bible really teaches, seek out Jehovah's ways, serving God in truth is only acceptable to him,(John 4:23, 24) you can not be serving God acceptably if what you believe is a lie! Pray for understanding and ask Jehovah to search your heart and draw you! (John 6:44, 65) Now is the time to be with the people who are called by Jehovah's name! (Acts 15:14, 17, Isa. 43:7, 10, Zech 8:23)