Jehovah`s Witness/associations

Question
Are Jehovah Witnesses "encouraged" to not associate with non witness people? Thank you.

Answer
Hello David, how are you?  I notice that you have asked this question of several other experts on here, as well.  Sorry for my answer being late, but I am behind on about 3 questions right now.  I have had a very hectic last 2 weeks, with our annual youth activities at church, burying a close friend of mine, and trying to get a garden in the ground before the rainy weather set in.  I apologize for that.

To answer your question.....YES, JWs are discouraged from having close or often association with non-Witnesses.  Any Witness that tells you otherwise, is not being straight-forward with you.

I smiled when I read Ben Erdman's answer to you, because my experience was identical to his.  I too remember being drilled with the "bad association spoils useful habits" thing, over and over and over.  Not that it doesn't have truth in it...it does.  In fact, it is out of 1 Corinthians 15:33.....

"Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners."

Now, let me be clear....This verse is true.  It IS important that a Christian associate with like-minded people.  I have no disagreement whatsoever with that.  I am blessed to have a couple of good Christian men, whom I confide in and call my friends.  They are people who I have gone to for advice, and shared my problems with, and I know they will always give me something from the Scriptures, or a word of Godly wisdom.  I would not go to someone in the world who doesn't think Scripturally, with some of the things I have had to face in my life.  I would not want the advice I would get.

Where I think the JWs err, is that they view ONLY Witnesses as "proper association", and non-Witnesses as "worldy people".  From the time I was a child, I was taught that all outsiders were "worldly".  This is false.  And it is also false that JWs are morally superior to other Christians who love God and follow the Scriptures, and are automatically better association.  I still remember being a young teen-age boy, and spending every other week-end going to the Kingdom Hall with my mom and stepdad.  I was constantly lectured about my "worldly" friends when I was staying with my dad.  I remember one young boy in particular, that I was strongly encouraged to hang around with on the week-ends I was at my mom's, because he and his parents had started coming to the Kingdom Hall.  His parents had gotten baptized, and he seemed zealous as well.  He was viewed as "good association".  He also brought fold-out pictures of pornography when he came over.  In fact, it was thanks to him that I first saw pictures of, shall we say, improperly-clad women.  Years later, this same guy died from a drug over-dose.

Now, I am not saying this is typical of JW teen-agers....I am simply saying I know of NUMEROUS of the young people at the Kingdom Hall, that lived no differently, but still raised their hands and participated in WT study answers.  One girl became pregnant out of wedlock, who was viewed as a "spiritual young sister".  I went to school with other JW kids, who could be heard using profanity, just like the non-Witnesses around them.  

I am simply saying....they have no claims to moral superiority over other Christians.  

Yes, association is important.  And yes, JWs DO view outsiders as "worldly", and for the most part, themselves as morally superior.

If I can answer any further question for you, please do not hesitate to ask.

Derrick  

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland